Critiques......should they be eliminated?

Ok, I am still not ready to go outside and shovel snow just yet, so here is another point to debate.....

Should judge/staff critiques simply be eliminated all together? I think I noticed that they will simply be informal and held before shows this coming season at DCI(interesting). However, maybe they are on to something good, and they should just finish it off.

To this day, many times corps will spend time in critique discussing their score/placement/spread in relation to other corps, and thus are "jockeying for position". A typical scenario is this....."we beat so and so by a point last night in drums, and now you are telling me that they were better than us tonight ??" Needless to say things can get a bit lively at that point. The level of lobbying is about the same as special interest groups lobbying Washington Congressmen.

Every corps gets a recording (I almost said "tape", but not in DCI anymore.....I'm old....lol) from the judge with his/her commentary, a sheet with some comments, and they can see their number related to the box criteria, and a recap with everyone's numbers. The judge has given their basis for the score they gave them, whether the corps believes that they were right or wrong. There really is nothing to discuss. Ideally, maybe the judge can give some suggestions on making the show better, which should be the main constructive purpose of critique. However, the corps staff should be able to derive what they should consider from the recording and sheets. Maybe they don't agree with one judge's evaluation. However, if 6 judges tell them the same thing, it might be a good idea to address things, and a critique is not necessary to figure that out.

Judges are human, and they know they are going to have a rubarb if they put a corps who won a caption with everyone there one night in 5th one week later. They may be hesitant to do it. However, if they can not do that, they shouldn't be judging. I think elimination of critique can't hurt regarding taking a bit of politics away from the activity. The informal pre-show thing is at least a step in the right direction. A judge can always walk away if they are cornered about a prior score/placement or talk is something other than constructive talk about their show only. Again, I believe that eliminating critique totally may be the way to go.

GB

I was under the impression that the last rules Congress got rid of critiques, but had corps prepare cheat sheets for the judges instead. That way, certain corps directors can explain to the judges before hand why what they're doing is so brilliant, just in case it's not self-evident in the actual construction of the show. :tongue:

Edited by mobrien

critique can be a useful way to have dialogue after the judge has seen the show, and not just for bickering over tenths.

Whether I used what was discussed in critique or not, it was always interesting to hear their response to the show just completed. Doing a pre-show meeting seems pointless to me. I guess salesmanship will take precendence now, as the smoother talkers persuade the judges to award more tenths based on a pre-show sales pitch.

Garry in Vegas

Judge - I've played 1812 with an orchestra and I can assure you the trumpet parts are not difficult.

Jim Wren - You're correct, the trumpet parts are not difficult but my trumpets are playing the Violin parts.

Judge - oh.

A little off topic but it's always made me laugh!

They have.

Post show formal critiques have been eliminated....however, pre-show critiques will still happen, although they are supposed to be "informal".............it will be interesting to see how that is handled.......ie, what if the corps wants to "talk", the judge knows the deal, and simply doesn't show to speak to them...............Until they eliminate these, staffs will still show to give their best "used car salesperson" speech, and some will still have the nerve to complain about past numbers and "demand recognition".................

GB

critique can be a useful way to have dialogue after the judge has seen the show, and not just for bickering over tenths.

Agreed........however, from what I heard, they (critiques) have been more about bickering and clammering for scores and positions than constructive dialogue........this was confirmed for me after I listened to the director proclaim this on video (see the DCI website) and that most critiques were deemed either non-productive or even counter-productive. Still, if a staff person can't get what they need to know from the judge's recording and sheet, then the judge hasn't done a great job.......

GB