Critiques......should they be eliminated?

Agreed........however, from what I heard, they (critiques) have been more about bickering and clammering for scores and positions than constructive dialogue........this was confirmed for me after I listened to the director proclaim this on video (see the DCI website) and that most critiques were deemed either non-productive or even counter-productive. Still, if a staff person can't get what they need to know from the judge's recording and sheet, then the judge hasn't done a great job.......

GB

well...sometimes, in an 11 minute show, you dont have time to elaborate on tape as much as you'd like, or you end up missing whats going on.

honestly, the new system sounds like it will lead to tapes sounding like tick tapes, while mentioning whatever topics of what the staff told them about preshow.

Critiques were always broken records to me. Judges repeat what they said on the tape, and the night before and the night before. A lot of waiting around for a little new information.

That can depend on what you want, and how you phrase your questions to elicit a response. If you haven't listened to your tapes, where is the judge's incentive to elaborate? If you go in prepared to expand on what's already been said, and written, you can definitely get something worthwhile out of a critique.

When VK came back in 1981 after a year off, with a drumline (and corps overall) primarily composed of rookies, one of my favorite questions was, "If this was your drumline, what would you be focusing on tomorrow and the rest of the week?"

I do remember one critique in particular. We had listened to the drum-x tape, and noticed that the judge cited several phrases that weren't even written into our show. When we asked him about it, he tried to dodge the question by asking, "Have you listened to your tape?" I responded by telling him, "Yeah, we listened to the tape. In fact, I'm listening to it again right now"...as I held the cassette up to my ear and pulled the tape out in a slowly rising pile on the floor.

That was the only time I really took exception to comments in a critique. The majority of the time we found several useful things to focus on.

Garry in Vegas

Possible scenario at the 'new' critiques:

Hall of Fame instructor: "DUDE - great to see you again. How's the fabulous band of yours? The wife? The kids?"

Judge: "Everything's good...thanks for asking...and I must say, what a pleasure to get to see you again...wow, can I have your autograph?"

HOF instructor: "Oh...you go now - we're all peers here. I was just telling my HOF colleague that you...YOU of all the judges are really one of the up and comers." (and in a whisper tone...), "man, they all should have your ears!"

Judge: "Well, my colleagues do the best they can with what they have...as I'm sure you know."

HOF guy: "Yeah...that's my issue!"

Judge: "Ok...OK - what have you got for me, big guy."

HOF guy: "You have GOT to check out the opener...2 minute mark - it's OFF THE HOOK crazy hard - and I'm not gonna lie here...the kids are just NAILING it."

Judge: "Wow - and I know that work - your opener - it's a mother! We did it in college, and..."

HOF instructor: "You know, I ran into someone who was in that wind ensemble with you... and he said you were the star, no doubt!"

Judge: "Well, in so far as any clarinet player can be the star...ummm, yeah, I'd have to agree. I do very well, if I do say so myself!"

HOF guy: "well, no one better to toot that particular horn than you, my very good friend!"

So folks - is this what you fear with critique? No worries - nothing is going to change...it's always been this way! :smile:

It still affects the corps that go on early the most. Instead of being at warmups, the staff will now have to make a decision about who to send to the pre show info-critique.

I guess it is still better than having a judge look over your head to see when the Blue Devils or Cadets are coming in.

Donny

At least with a critique you can hear their (judges) thoughts and you can voice your own (in a friendly way). Now it seems that you just have to do what the adjudicator says without an opportunity to voice your thoughts/ideas and help them better understand what you are trying to say musically or visually. Oh well add clarinets and woodwinds, what the heck!

if these people were REALLY SMART...they would have bagged the critique and voted themselves in a mandatory post show meet and greet with open an open bar!

I'm just sayin..what cannot be accomplished after a couple shots of Silver patron and Jaeger bomb

Hall of Fame instructor: "DUDE - great to see you again. How's the fabulous band of yours? The wife? The kids?"

Judge: "Everything's good...thanks for asking...and I must say, what a pleasure to get to see you again...wow, can I have your autograph?"

HOF instructor: "Oh...you go now - we're all peers here. I was just telling my HOF colleague that you...YOU of all the judges are really one of the up and comers." (and in a whisper tone...), "man, they all should have your ears!"

Judge: "Well, my colleagues do the best they can with what they have...as I'm sure you know."

HOF guy: "You have GOT to check out the opener...2 minute mark - it's OFF THE HOOK crazy hard - and I'm not gonna lie here...the kids are just NAILING it."

Judge: "Wow - and I know that work - your opener - it's a mother! We did it in college, and..."

HOF instructor: "You know, I ran into someone who was in that wind ensemble with you... and he said you were the star, no doubt!"

Judge: "Well, in so far as any clarinet player can be the star...ummm, yeah, I'd have to agree. I do very well, if I do say so myself!"

HOF guy: "well, no one better to toot that particular horn than you, my very good friend!"

So folks - is this what you fear with critique? No worries - nothing is going to change...it's always been this way! :smile:

There's so much truth and insight in this post, it should have a special category on DCP. Especially the part where the HOF instructor interrupts the judge. This is a brilliant post, also, in what it says by not saying it.

So folks - is this what you fear with critique? No worries - nothing is going to change...it's always been this way! :lol:

:smile::smile::doh::lol::smile::doh: