Reverse the Rules

It would make me happy to see former Open Class corps have a big audience to see them play, scores aside.

Let's further tweak this pretend model and say that all corps (no matter what their size) split any money from the parent (DCI) equally. After all, if DCI is supposedly the corps themselves, it might as well be *all* corps, right? :doh:

Anyway, ultimately, drum corps isn't about a number . . .and quite frankly, what the Blue Devils programs are designed for isn't the same thing that the Blue Saints are.

It might generate some lower scores for smaller groups if Phantom Regiment is in the same "division" as the Blue Saints, but, the chance now exists that perhaps more established small groups like Revolution or SCVC takes out a "big boy" like Spirit or Crossmen in that same competition.

Under these fantasy conditions we're playing with now (money from DCI and more exposure in each circuit overall), who's to say that someone like the Blue Saints might not become larger and stronger in the long run?

...and some of this happened under DCM.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corps who changed their horns did so because they wanted to...and when they wanted to. Rule changes make more things possible, that's all.

Tell that to some division III corps who couldn't field because they could't get 35 members or whatever the numbers were at the time. It made things LESS possible. That's history.

Edited by jjeffeory

Tell that to some division III corps who couldn't field because they could't get 35 members or whatever the numbers were at the time. It made things LESS possible. That's history.

What does that have to do with rule changes? Div III corps have always had a tough time getting members. That is a problem, to be sure, but it's not due to rule changes.

Just wanted to point this out, but in DCM, when it existed, everyone was scored on the same sheets and there were some 20s. A few OC corps beat World class corps, too. It was interesting to see where they stood on an absolute scale. I mean, they're just scores. :doh:

Back in the mid/late 70's the phrase 'National Linear' was all the rage. I taught and judged in the Garden State Circuit. One year at the annual meeting the decision by the corps admins was to have the judges use a ' National Linear' basis for scores/ticks. As corps started to score in the teens, they quietly decided to abandon THAT idea part way through the season. I remember giving one corps a zero in drum execution when they added up the ticks, something I hated then and still feel bad about today.

I don't see any real reason to judge all divisions on the same scale.

What does that have to do with rule changes? Div III corps have always had a tough time getting members. That is a problem, to be sure, but it's not due to rule changes.

Sure it was due to DCI rule changes. That's who tells them if they could compete in DCI. You know, a RULE?

I think the rule changed that REQUIRED so many members ( 35 ), or you couldn't field.

Yet, we've had Mardarians as DCI division III champions with less than that previously.

My first point was that there are rule changes off the field as well as on field that I'm not sure some think about.

My second point is that not all rule changes are beneficial.

Before there were timpani...corps used flat bass drums lashed together...they were not tunable during the show, of course...and they were heavy...worse than a fiberglass marching timp. I played double bass in 1969 in the GSC corps I belonged to...because I was the only one big enough to carry them. Marching timpani were a step along the way...so yes, they were beneficial when introduced.

I love the logic. If " mobile marching tympani's " were an example of " all change has been beneficial ", why was the "mobile marching tympani " scrapped ? Why don't we have " mobile marching tympani " on the field of competition today if it was so beneficial ?

Edited by BRASSO

I think I have some aged cheese for you Mike...

Here's the equation: Hopkins Proposed = Mike agrees.

Just that simple. :doh:

No, I don't see the the small number of super bands coming along. The increased numbers would be for the new instruments, so I don't see it having a negative impact on lower world class or open class corps. IMO it would help open class if they can sign up WW players or other instruments. Very small open corps could expand their numbers with a WW section.

Oh, got ya now...summer marching band