2010 Brass Lines

fifer

I am not really understanding all the hate on the large contra (tuba) line...it is a matter of instruction and instrumentalists. If you get quality players (and yes, they ARE out there) and an instructor that can teach them to play together (which is all a matter of instructional technique) then there is no reason that a large line cannot be as clean as a smaller line.

In addition, that larger line will allow the upper brass (if you have your sound pyramid properly set up with players and balance) to play out more without distorting the balances and sonority of the brass line. (And haven't we noticed that many high brass sections have to hold back due to the limitations of low-brass sonority? I have...)

In essence...MORE SOUND!!! And done right, too!!

And seeing that this is Madison we are talking about, wouldn't it be nice to hear that wall of soprano brightness that the Scouts have been known for WITH the intense power of the large low brass line? If you have the numbers, you have the volume with the sonority and richness that contemporary judges want to hear. It makes sense to me...

And all I can say is :worthy::blink::sad: !!!!!!!

Edited by prodigal bari

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If 20 tubas play in the woods and no one is there to listen ,......

It's the forest's fault. Cut the #### trees down.

Edited by BRASSO

I can't even see the forest for the trees.

Get out of the woods !

Edited by BRASSO

Too-shay!!!

haha!

I sure hope that all these people complaining about the number of contras Madison is going to be marching are confident in their theories of brass pedagogy and technique, because otherwise, it's useless jibber jabber.

I don't think Madison's 2010 design/brass staff would be marching 20 if they didn't believe it would work.

But I guess we will just have to see if Donnie Van Doren, Jim Prime, Jim Mason, etc. know what they're doing...I mean considering they still need to prove themselves to the likes of some of you.

Would you all ##### and moan if Gino Cipriani, Jay Bocook, John Meehan, or Wayne Downey came out with 20? Doubt it.

Just my thoughts...now go ahead...bite my head off.

nevermind

Edited by contrajedi8

I sure hope that all these people complaining about the number of contras Madison is going to be marching are confident in their theories of brass pedagogy and technique, because otherwise, it's useless jibber jabber.

I don't think Madison's 2010 design/brass staff would be marching 20 if they didn't believe it would work.

But I guess we will just have to see if Donnie Van Doren, Jim Prime, Jim Mason, etc. know what they're doing...I mean considering they still need to prove themselves to the likes of some of you.

Would you all ##### and moan if Gino Cipriani, Jay Bocook, John Meehan, or Wayne Downey came out with 20? Doubt it.

Just my thoughts...now go ahead...bite my head off.

I havn't yet read a single poster on here " complaining " that the Madison Scouts are reportedly going out with 20 contras. So I really don't know what you are talking about here.

That said, I did read a couple of remarks that questioned the need for such numbers. They seemed to think it was overkill, but most seem willing to give the instructors the benefit of the doubt ( I said as much above ).

But " complaining " about this move by Madison ? No, I havn't seen any " complaining " on this news by anyone at all. The only " complaining " I've seen is your belittling of DCP posters for their opinions on this thread. Nobody on here is comparing, nor wanting to compare, these fine instuctors experiences with 20 tubas in competition, with the DCP posters comments regarding this novel approach, but you.

Edited by BRASSO