2010 Brass Lines

fifer

Oh.... and more tubas DOES NOT equal more volume... or at least the volume that we perceive in the stands. The tubas play a support role. Yes they have to play loud, but if you want a louder horn line by adding members, add to the bari and trumpet section.

Hey if they make it work, more power to them. I just don't see the need.

Also I feel like people just can't play loud. These kids don't come to drum corps with the prior knowledge of how to play loud (I feel like a lot of the problem is coming from methods originating in the Texas area of the country). It takes a lot more than a season of drum corps to learn what it feels like to play loud with a good tone quality and all of that good stuff. A few of us could outplay our horn line no problem this summer if we tried...

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In July of 2007, when I was sitting 5 rows from the field on the 50, I didn't care about size. This summer, when I'm hopefully sitting in that same area at the Georgia Dome in July of 2010, I still won't care about size. In 2007, it was so loud that I couldn't hear my soul. I am absolutely looking forward to more of the same this summer.

I feel sorry for the madison contra players having to unload all those tubas from the truck every show.

And it's kind of funny how corps are starting to do the 80 brass after crown started doing it in 08 and crown hasn't even won a championship yet.

Sorry Rookie, Cadets used 84 brass about 23 years ago.

Can a 20 contra line be made up entirely of tuba players?

Experts talks to me.

If by "tuba players," you mean low-brass musicians who play (or are competent enough to play) tuba in a college-level wind ensemble, then hell no.

(Okay, BD could make it work)

And I mean no disrespect to the scouts' brass staff, but a creating a 20-man line for a corps that's trying to rebound from a slump seems excessive. It's like signing Manute Bol to play for an NBA team in the midst of a rebuilding year. Yeah, he's big. But his 7'7" presence contributed next-to-nothing (I know, weird analogy).

IF Jim Prime, DVD, and the rest of the brass staff make it work, however, I will gladly eat my own words with a side of remorse sauce.

Yes, a 20 person line CAN be filled of all tuba players, I'm just pretty sure that it won't.

My definition of which is someone who plays tuba as their primary instrument.

Possible but not probable.

I feel sorry for the madison contra players having to unload all those tubas from the truck every show.

And it's kind of funny how corps are starting to do the 80 brass after crown started doing it in 08 and crown hasn't even won a championship yet.

I seriously doubt any other corps chose their hornline numbers based on anything Crown did. It doesn't work like that in the real world.

I think the only section of horn lines that consistently have all their people on their primary instrument is the trumpet section.

I wouldn't argue with this but got a little chuckle because my french horn-playing daughter is finally back on mello this year after three years on trumpet. :w00t: I guess it's the exception that proves the rule.

I think the only section of horn lines that consistently have all their people on their primary instrument is the trumpet section.

This is probably true. I think I was one of the few actual Baritone players

in our Bari line. Most were Trombone players...and a couple of those guys

were ridiculously great Trombone players!

I believe the blue stars are having (If not already mentioned):

24 Trumpets

16 Mello's

24 Bari's/Euph's

16 Contra's (Tuba's)