Pizza rolls!

OK - so I decided to have some pizza rolls for a snack tonight - and the memories of hosting drum corps camps started flooding. Makes me wonder - what foods make you have the "Pavlov's dog" effect? By the way - thanks, Rhonda! Some of the things you made for Capital Regiment are legendary!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PIZZA ROLLS!!!

Meatball subs

Taco in a Bag!

..and more I can't think of..

This is a generational thing, but before there were food trucks we had a daily allowance given to us in cash. So, a good food stop was where there was plenty of variety, and not just fast food.

The best were the small town hosts that did a pot luck. You never knew what you were going to get, but those Moms and Dads in BFE brought real home cooking!

Oh, and I would be derelict in my duties if I didn't mention the farmers in Byhalia, OH, who used to feed VK in exchange for a run-though performance in street clothes. This was a multiple year event when the corps went to US Open, and the corps was grateful for the consideration and appreciation. Ohio rocks!

Garry in Vegas

Grandson of an Ohioan from Wapakoneta

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Oh, and I would be derelict in my duties if I didn't mention the farmers in Byhalia, OH,

Garry in Vegas

I had to Google Byhalia, Ohio to find it. I've lived in Ohio 50 years and thought I knew most towns, but this one is new to me.

And yeah, you're right, Ohio rocks. Especially in the northwest German farming country where the soil is black, black, black!

I know it's silly, but PB&J still does it for me. I love the stuff - hated it before drum corps, now it's a favorite. Mom Gilbert (Troopers food truck guru since the corps got its first food truck in the mid-80's) makes something called "cheesy rice" that I hear the kids raving about lately. I honestly can't remember anything about food truck food any more, other than being grateful for it!

Speaking of home-made food, for a very long time (no idea how long) the Troopers have been fed a monstrous feast at their "home away from home" Schuykill Haven, PA. And this past summer during the Texas swing the kids were treated to a huge burger and hot dog feast. For you alums out there, I highly recommend finding a way to serve a catered or home-made meal to a corps. The kids love the change of pace. (do coordinate such an event with the corps director and food manager, though!)

This is a generational thing, but before there were food trucks we had a daily allowance given to us in cash. So, a good food stop was where there was plenty of variety, and not just fast food.

The best were the small town hosts that did a pot luck. You never knew what you were going to get, but those Moms and Dads in BFE brought real home cooking!

Oh, and I would be derelict in my duties if I didn't mention the farmers in Byhalia, OH, who used to feed VK in exchange for a run-though performance in street clothes. This was a multiple year event when the corps went to US Open, and the corps was grateful for the consideration and appreciation. Ohio rocks!

Garry in Vegas

Yeah, I have heard of it. Did not know you had OH roots! (I am from Defiance, in the real NW of OH).

I still liked the Kosher meals on Fridays, with Santa Clara. Good Stuff and once again, thanks Gail!

For you alums out there, I highly recommend finding a way to serve a catered or home-made meal to a corps. The kids love the change of pace. (do coordinate such an event with the corps director and food manager, though!)

We did coordinate through a volunteer when we brought ice cream novelties to the Troopers after their quarterfinals performance in Pasadena. We even had texts going back and forth at the stadium so we knew exactly when they were done with the show, done with pictures, and on their way back to the truck. Got some good pictures with the tenor line and Drum Major before they got out of uniform.

So, even if you're not an alum of a particular corps, go ahead and do something nice. It may turn out to be on many corps members' lists of highlights from the tour! Neither Jan or I were alumni of the Troopers, but we wanted to do something to welcome them back after the year off.

Garry in Vegas