Pizza rolls!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a generational thing, but before there were food trucks we had a daily allowance given to us in cash. So, a good food stop was where there was plenty of variety, and not just fast food.

Garry in Vegas

Grandson of an Ohioan from Wapakoneta

Same here. When we were on the way back to New Orleans from the North, we always hit the all you could eat truckstop in West Memphis. Funny how we were given $3 a day to eat on and you usually had monet left over............

I also remember when we were running late, they would just buy tons of donuts and put them on each bus. A good time to sit in the front since peope in the back usually didn't get much. That was just one reason ice chests and sterno stoves were brought by a few people who paid their corps fees by "cooking meals" for people and charging a kings ransom for them.

Me ? I made my money by operating a general store knowing that at times, we would not stop for 24-36 hours.

Vienna sausage

crackers

Spam

bread

King Dongs

Cigarettes ( back when cigarettes were less than .60 a pack, I could get .25 a cigarette with no objection )

Matches

cookies,candy

shoe polish

valve oil

batteries ( can't enjoy an 8 track tape player without batteries )

And I had the consession on polishing shoes

Edited by The Other Mike

In my day McDonalds ruled supreme....and I'm certaintly not writing this to brag about it. :w00t:

Edited by Piper

Same here. When we were on the way back to New Orleans from the North, we always hit the all you could eat truckstop in West Memphis. Funny how we were given $3 a day to eat on and you usually had monet left over............

I also remember when we were running late, they would just buy tons of donuts and put them on each bus. A good time to sit in the front since peope in the back usually didn't get much. That was just one reason ice chests and sterno stoves were brought by a few people who paid their corps fees by "cooking meals" for people and charging a kings ransom for them.

Me ? I made my money by operating a general store knowing that at times, we would not stop for 24-36 hours.

Vienna sausage

crackers

Spam

bread

King Dongs

Cigarettes ( back when cigarettes were less than .60 a pack, I could get .25 a cigarette with no objection )

Matches

cookies,candy

shoe polish

valve oil

batteries ( can't enjoy an 8 track tape player without batteries )

And I had the consession on polishing shoes

People BOUGHT Vienna sausages willingly??? :w00t::flower:

People BOUGHT Vienna sausages willingly??? :w00t::flower:

back then, it was vienna sausage or sardeines...........................

I think any Madison Scout will agree with me when I say...

Corn Dogs.

But, 20 Corn Dogs would be totally ridiculous! And, if you did have 20 corn dogs, I'm sure half of the corn Dogs are just breaded hot dogs pretending to be Corn Dogs! :w00t:

Fruit loops and Captain Crunch. Yep, all we could eat. The Emerald Knights came from Cedar Rapids the home Quaker Oats and General Mills. Heck, we used to give cases of the stuff to corps at our home show.

Oh, and cheesy peas and fried chicken. 86 & 87 we ate high off the hog. The corps was cash rich - we ate steak at least once a week, even gave ten $500 scholarships (dues were only $300), and I don't think ground beef was ever on the menu.