Comment at Winter Olympics II

I really wish all corps would step back a bit, maybe slow it down and play entire pieces of music. I miss the concert piece so much.

Who didn't love it when corps would stop for a couple of minutes, on the 50, and blow your face off.

Too many corps shows today dont use suspens and reward/release as an effective element anymore..think back to 1982 Garfield Cadets as (Rond likes to put: They are building a house down there)

two thirds thorugh the show they slowly and deliberately built up the sound, the drill and the tempo to hit us with such a fanfare, then right to subtlety and back again...everything now is just presented and thrown at you, its all on the same level of presentation and execution........just an observance.

G

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WE as fans are too focused on demand, as far as performance and scoring on the field, I feel demand isn't given enough credit.

Part of the problem is lack of independence when you're talking about what/how. Often the bottom number will be like .1 or .2 below for every corps...for the "demanding" ones maybe .4...but never anything dramatic.

Of course, the top number is more than just demand, but still...

Personally, I don't care a wit about " demand ". I'll leave that up to the judges. " Demand " is in their domain. " Entertainment " is in my domain. I " demand " to be entertained, however I personally define it. Unless it's the regionals or Finals Week, I 'm already in my car on the road when the judges are telling the Corps and the rest of the fans who in the judges opinion had the most " demand " in their show. It's a great relationship I have with the judges. I don't go into their zone of why they are at the show, and they don't go into my zone as to why I ( and my family, friends ) are at the show. That's because we're there for different reasons.

Edited by BRASSO

Garry... drum corps does a better job with musicality than skating... you do NOT want to watch olympic skating with me as I sit there and am screaming at the TV ... like when the music changes in the middle of a spin or something... obviously, musicality isn't as important to those judges - HOWEVER, in a couple of instances where it got very bad, the expert commentators did say that musically they were weak.

Any Visual interpretation of music is the ability of the mind to relate to what they are seeing vs what they are viewing... drum corps and color guard are based on this and overall do extremely well... figure skating would be much more audience friendly and see increased audience size if they did fewer tricks and paid MUCH more attention to the music.

Tom I am so with you on this! For example there was a pairs program where the music had a section of running 1/16 notes and they were just sliding down the ice setting up for their triple. Then when the 1/16 notes ended and the music slowed. Thats when they threw the triple jump. What the heck?!? How was that musical?!?!

There was actually one pair that was fairly musical and really fun to watch. I was surprised.

But for Garry's original topic, I do not think this is a rehash as one person stated. I think it is very thought provoking and should be something current designers should read and think about. I disagree with designing where one part ends up suffering due to the complexity in the other. I have been told that many times the visual package is written first then the music designed to fit that. Isn't that putting the cart before the horse? Does this really happen? It would explain why occasionally musical thoughts we hear on the field make no sense compared to the rest of the production.

I appreciate the old style shows for what they are, and I also enjoy the new shows for what they do. I do not prefer one over the other, but I do not like when the musical writting suffers for the sake of desigining "extreme" drill.

Edited by MiniSopGuy

Tom I am so with you on this! For example there was a pairs program where the music had a section of running 1/16 notes and they were just sliding down the ice setting up for their triple. Then when the 1/16 notes ended and the music slowed. Thats when they threw the triple jump. What the heck?!? How was that musical?!?!

There was actually one pair that was fairly musical and really fun to watch. I was surprised.

The music's always seemed like an afterthought...somewhat like floor in women's gymnastics.

Sure, you might set the theme of the program with it, but after that....meh.

What we need is for a drum corps fan to skate at that level and use a corps studio recording as music...or get a top 12 corps vizh coordinator aboard with a skater...

What we need is for a drum corps fan to skate at that level and use a corps studio recording as music...or get a top 12 corps vizh coordinator aboard with a skater...

I don't think the ice3 skating judges would know how to judge a program written like that....haha

I can't believe no one has suggested this yet; this thought came to me last night when I was watching Evgeni Plushenko's short program. Wouldn't it be interesting if he took his minute of warmup time before the music started to do some flips and other flashy tricks that aren't allowed...just to win over the crowd. And then do his required elements.

Sound familiar? :-)

i came to the conclusion last night that the only time anything lined up with the music was when someone fell on their ###.

too much focus on demand and less on artistry/entertainment.

quads, triple axels etc for the sake of doing them. I mean hell, just add chairs now

I watched the whole thing last night, and I came to the conclusion that most DCI designers/choreographers are far MORE musical than the skating people. Most of the time, what the skaters are doing has NOTHING to do with the music that is being played....furthermore, when's the last time you saw a World Class drum corps end its visual program 4 counts BEFORE or AFTER the music ended??? :rolleyes:

Good grief!

I have been told that many times the visual package is written first then the music designed to fit that. Isn't that putting the cart before the horse? Does this really happen? It would explain why occasionally musical thoughts we hear on the field make no sense compared to the rest of the production.

Just gotta step in again and say that this isn't true. It's the result of a misinterpretation of some comment from the Cavaliers regarding their show in...I think 01, their first all-original show. There are times that a corps might change a musical phrase or something to work in a visual moment, but I don't see how they could possibly write drill for a show that doesn't exist yet.