1980 - 2009: some interesting facts

1980 compared to 2009......some interesting facts.......

1980.....44 corps competed in open class prelims (now world)......22 in 2009 (ie exactly half)

5 of top 12 in 1980 were in top 12 in 2009

However, 10 of the top 17 corps in 1980 finished in the top 17 in 2009

15 of the 22 corps in World Class prelims in 2009 competed in the open class prelims in 1980

GB

That's pretty impressive... a testament to those organizations, for sure. :w00t:

On the subject of "staying power" .... on the DCA side, two of the circuit's original members, who competed at the first DCA title show in 1965, made finals in 2009 (Reading Buccaneers and Connecticut Hurricanes). The Bucs won both shows...1965 and '09. Not too shabby.

Fran

1980 compared to 2009......some interesting facts.......

1980.....44 corps competed in open class prelims (now world)......22 in 2009 (ie exactly half)

How many corps competed in class A in 1980 and how many competed in open class in 2009?

Back in the early 80's smaller corps would still compete in open(world) class which today would be competing in open(class A) class

I just looked it up in Corpsreps and it shows 21 corps competed in Class A in 1980 and 19 corps competed in Open Class in 2009

Edited by bluecoats88

How many "A" Class corps and All-Girl corps competed in 1976?

How many corps competed in class A in 1980 and how many competed in open class in 2009?

Back in the early 80's smaller corps would still compete in open(world) class which today would be competing in open(class A) class

I just looked it up in Corpsreps and it shows 21 corps competed in Class A in 1980 and 19 corps competed in Open Class in 2009

That's pretty impressive... a testament to those organizations, for sure. :blink:

On the subject of "staying power" .... on the DCA side, two of the circuit's original members, who competed at the first DCA title show in 1965, made finals in 2009 (Reading Buccaneers and Connecticut Hurricanes). The Bucs won both shows...1965 and '09. Not too shabby.

Fran

Of the handful of Corps that formed " The Combine " that collectively came together in 1971 and formed DCI, approx. 85 % are in existence today.

Of the couple of hundred of the other Corps that were competing in 1971, but were not members of " The Combine " , 5% of them are competing today in DCI.

I find this stat rather fascinating ,anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

Without looking anything up, Blue Devils, Cadets, Cavaliers, SCV and Phatnom.

If you add in Madison and Star (starting in 89) they were pretty much your top 6/7 for quite a while, with a few exeptions (Crossmen cracking the top 6 in '90)

This doesn't shock me, there was a reason they were called the 'Big 6', of course Madison dropped out of that in the last few years.

And with the exception of the Kingsmen, Star and Madison, those 5 have won all of the Championships

• 3 weeks later...
Without looking anything up, Blue Devils, Cadets, Cavaliers, SCV and Phatnom.

If you add in Madison and Star (starting in 89) they were pretty much your top 6/7 for quite a while, with a few exeptions (Crossmen cracking the top 6 in '90)

This doesn't shock me, there was a reason they were called the 'Big 6', of course Madison dropped out of that in the last few years.

And with the exception of the Kingsmen, Star and Madison, those 5 have won all of the Championships

Crossmen were actually 7th in 1990. They finished 6th in 1992 and 1997.

how much wood can a woodchuck chuck?

WOULD a woodchuck chuck?

Another fascinating stat: In 1980, I was not in a corps that made finals.

In 2009, I was not in a corps that made finals.

Weird.

WOULD a woodchuck chuck?

Another fascinating stat: In 1980, I was not in a corps that made finals.

In 2009, I was not in a corps that made finals.

Weird.

That happened to me too.....