Someone should have gotten Hershman to "travel" the trophy back to 1979 or 1980 AL Championships as the pic was taken in 1983 at a corps reunion. :tongue: No idea if the snare is the high drum award but Hershman had to wrap the cup in with his laundry on the bus ride home. We go tback to the buses and it wa s"How in the #### are we going to protect this thing now that we won it".

Edit: Travel the cup back to Boston in 1980 as 1979 was in Hawaii IIRC.

And wasn't 1980 the last corps contest at a Legion convention?

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That silver cup certainly does look like it might be the 'Seagam's Post' trophy awarded at the Legion Nationals, but I'm sure Don will agree that drum is definitely NOT the gold drum. The drum in this picture is red, appears to be an old Ludwig model with single tensions casings with long rods, and no evidence of any engraving. The gold drum given at the Nationals was based on a Slingerland model with the small separate tension casings, short rods, and engraving that would be quite apparent when displayed.

Just saying.

Found this on Carol Ann Schaffer Fallon's Facebook page in her 'Senior Corps Memories' album. If you can open it, you'll see a gold drum and the Seagram's Trophy on the table.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2018...p;id=1219795991

The cup does appear to be the Seagram's Cup... but if that's supposed to be the gold drum.... ???? poor imitation.... duh???? it's NOT gold.... lol

trust me, the real drum was gold plated... and heavy has hell... Don't know if David Bruni has it or his sister Laurie, but I'm sure it's still in Rochester... (Webster to be more precise)

Then probably the drum was an old one that was kept for some reason. Far as I know all the items in the reunion pics (there are more in the album) came from Larry Hershmans place. The 1978 American Legion flag (next pic) got the place of honor but everything else was spread around on some tables at the fron of the hall where the reunion was held. The 1952 VFW trophy is in one of the pics too, IIRC that sucker was about 3 feet high.

The cup does appear to be the Seagram's Cup... but if that's supposed to be the gold drum.... ???? poor imitation.... duh???? it's NOT gold.... lol

trust me, the real drum was gold plated... and heavy has hell... Don't know if David Bruni has it or his sister Laurie, but I'm sure it's still in Rochester... (Webster to be more precise)

Guys,

The AL High Drum trophy was from Slingerland and it rotated to the current champion. So whoever won the last AL Nat'ls high drums should have it.

I don't know if it's because of championships being cancelled (Hawaii 1973) or what but both the seagram's cup and gold drum were in Bruni's possession for many years... I believe they are still in Rochester but I could be wrong...

Guys,

The AL High Drum trophy was from Slingerland and it rotated to the current champion. So whoever won the last AL Nat'ls high drums should have it.

right ed. can you put this to rest? was the gold drum the high drum trophy? i say yes.

yup. the drum in the pic is not the gold drum. and yes it's very heavy.

yup. the drum in the pic is not the gold drum. and yes it's very heavy.

Donnie... did we take high drums both 65 and 72? We DEFINITELY got the gold drum as well as the seagram's trophy... both years.... I'm thinking the winner got the cup, the drum and the orange flag... but not sure...

one thing I am sure of... every time I saw a champion at legion nationals they had the gold drum... it's illogical to assume they won drums every time...

Tom