Best show that told a story

i agree with that...i think the issue is many people don't get the shows right off the bat and feel the need to research

Or maybe people don't want to have to think that hard when watching a show, and just want to watch loud music with fast drill. I know people who have no problems plunking down $11 for a movie that's all eye candy, and being perfectly happy "not having to think" about the movie (Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, for example). Conversely, I know people who ONLY want to go to the movies to be challenged on some level, to be presented with an engaging story or characters that keep you thinking long after the lights come up.

I can understand that mentality. Personally, though, I can enjoy Blue Devils 09 and Madison Scouts 95 all in one sitting (or Cadets Blue Devils 09).

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Or maybe people don't want to have to think that hard when watching a show, and just want to watch loud music with fast drill "

And then there are fans who probably want to watch fast drill, and listen to loud music. I know I don't want to watch loud music. I'd rather watch the fast drill, and listen to the music. It's easier on my ears and eyes and I don't have to think as hard which to use either, which is kind of cool.

Edited by BRASSO

I'm with you 100% on this. So many people refuse to accept that something in life can actually be gained from learning more about the background of a show before going in. Does the music of the show need to make sense on its own?? Yes!! Should the drill be awesome??? Sure!. Should a first time viewer be able to watch, and find enjoyment in the show even knowing nothing about it?? Absolutely. Is it ok if there are deeper meanings built in that may need to be explained to be fully appreciated??? Well, why the eff not????

Deeper meaning is great, as long as the program on the field works without it. I think the issue is that some programs work better in the designers' imagination than they do on the field. After listening to the commentary about one finalist program from last year, I discovered that the drum corps wasn't doing what the designer said they were doing. IMO the program failed and would have been more enjoyable without the "concept".

It's a tricky thing to communicate an idea to such a broad audience. (And, clearly, not every show will resonate with everyone.) But I do think that sometimes designers (and judges) get a little carried away with their own brilliance and forget the people they're trying to reach. The reason that '08 Phantom is such a huge favorite is that pretty much everyone got it.

Phantom 08-Spartacus

Cadets 05-The zone

Cavaliers 04 -007

Bluecoats 08-The Knockout

Cavaliers 06 -Machine

BANDO SHOWS NOT ALLOWED ON THIS LIST...BS,CC , BC,

Why is BC on your list then?

Guess I wouldn't categorize 007 & Machine as stories, but they definitely convey a theme well--Machine especially.

Guess I wouldn't categorize 007 & Machine as stories, but they definitely convey a theme well--Machine especially.

Ahh.....generally BC is considered Boston Crusaders, considering the one you have in mind is NOT called the Blue Coats :tongue:

Deeper meaning is great, as long as the program on the field works without it. I think the issue is that some programs work better in the designers' imagination than they do on the field. After listening to the commentary about one finalist program from last year, I discovered that the drum corps wasn't doing what the designer said they were doing. IMO the program failed and would have been more enjoyable without the "concept".

It's a tricky thing to communicate an idea to such a broad audience. (And, clearly, not every show will resonate with everyone.) But I do think that sometimes designers (and judges) get a little carried away with their own brilliance and forget the people they're trying to reach. The reason that '08 Phantom is such a huge favorite is that pretty much everyone got it.

Of course. And maybe its too obvious to even say, but if it were easy to design a show around great music and visuals that had a clear theme or story, and a deeper meaning, then, well....everyone would do it, every year :tongue:

I agree. I think it's fair to say that if you have to explain your show to a judge in preseason and the judge's eyes begin to roll back in his head after the first half hour of the explanation of what it is you'll be doing, it's probaby safe to say that many fans come the summer will be left dazed and confused and with their mouths wide open, should you decide to put the kids through such a convoluted exercise in hope of showing off the show designers creative " brilliance ".

Edited by BRASSO

Ahh.....generally BC is considered Boston Crusaders, considering the one you have in mind is NOT called the Blue Coats :tongue:

I s'pose, but it didn't make sense to me because Bluecoats (just plain "B" ?) '08 seems infinitely more bando to me than anything BAC has done the past few years.

Maybe I should start a thread to get input on the definition of bando. The more I think about it, the more firmly I conclude that if someone doesn't like a corps, it's bando, and if they do like a corps, it's not. Any other objective criteria doesn't seem to apply.

For the record, I like the Bluecoats, but '08 wasn't my favorite year. There's no denying it told a story though.

I s'pose, but it didn't make sense to me because Bluecoats (just plain "B" ?) '08 seems infinitely more bando to me than anything BAC has done the past few years.

BAC = Boston Crusaders

Bloo = Bluecoats

BC = null

Maybe I should start a thread to get input on the definition of bando. The more I think about it, the more firmly I conclude that if someone doesn't like a corps, it's bando, and if they do like a corps, it's not. Any other objective criteria doesn't seem to apply.

You have just distilled years of DCP debates to their final, core points :tongue: