Go to Lucas Oil Stadium!

It comes down to the faith you have in DCI. In the eyes of some on here, DCI has made and will continue to make bad decisions, and I really believe some people would be pleased to see a half-full finals stadium just so they could say "See? I told you DCI doesn't know what it is doing". I, conversely, have faith in the leadership of DCI (as a whole) to do what they can to make all aspects of the season most enjoyable for fans, staff, members, whoever and at the same time balance that with sensible financial decisions.

I really don't understand how some people are so convinced that DCI doesn't have the health of the activity in their best interest. Is Lucal Oil Stadium the venue they thought it would be? Probably not so far, but I'm not going to criticize their decisions without being better informed about the decision process, the benefits they received of the relocation versus the benefits expected at the time of the decision, and mostly because I sincerely doubt that I could do a better job of running the organization. Could you?

Everyone has the right to decide what to spend their money on, but I'm getting a little sick of the rooting for DCI's demise or just the general hate in general (disclaimer: this is probably directed towards maybe 2-5 individuals, but they are very LOUD individuals). I know, drum and bugle corps is already dead, right? Whatever.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we sure that "boycotting" DCI World Championships will really get things to change in terms of improving the sound quality of Lucas Oil Stadium? I mean fixing the problem would involve money and if people boycott DCI's biggest cash cow then where is DCI going to get the cash to fix Lucas Oil Stadium? I feel that it may just be vicious cycle where DCI gets to a point where they see they need to change but thanks to boycotts can't afford to do the changes they want!

Going to Allentown or other outdoor venues instead of dome shows is not a "boycott" of DCI.

Couldn't a lack of adequate attendance at Lucas Oil put DCI out of business before they even have time to fix the problems the general public has concerns about?

I doubt it. From what we've been told already, cost savings in Indy compensate for lower attendance to some degree; perhaps they even make it a more profitable venture even at lower attendance levels. Besides, what harm is there if DCI makes the lion's share of their money from outdoor shows such as Allentown, Minneapolis or Murfreesboro?

Please, if you can go Lucas Oil, GO! Its sucks just as much to play in the dome as it does to listen to people play in it! But, I think it’s in everyone's best interest to attend DCI World Champions. By all means, make sure DCI knows that the sound sucks, just don't do it in a way that could potentially topple the organization!

Actually, the most effective way to send DCI a message is with dollars. If DCI sees demand for outdoor shows eclipsing indoor shows, they'll probably move in some way to serve that demand.

I don't thin anyone here wants DCI to fail to the point of inactivity or bankruptcy. I think what people are hoping for is a wake up call.

It's like an overweight smoker knowing he needs to make a change, but not doing anything about it until he has a heart attack.

Maybe DCI's heart attack will be 8,000 people at finals. Hopefully it happens sooner than later.

I don't thin anyone here wants DCI to fail to the point of inactivity or bankruptcy. I think what people are hoping for is a wake up call.

It's like an overweight smoker knowing he needs to make a change, but not doing anything about it until he has a heart attack.

Maybe DCI's heart attack will be 8,000 people at finals. Hopefully it happens sooner than later.

What if that smoker dies from the heart attack? Whoops! The wake up call should be the last possible recourse because it's so dangerous and probably the least sensible option. I don't think we're there yet.

What if that smoker dies from the heart attack? Whoops! The wake up call should be the last possible recourse because it's so dangerous and probably the least sensible option. I don't think we're there yet.

Good idea.

Ditch the dome before it's too late.

I was not there last year as I feared the LOS issue. My worst drum corps experience was 81 Montreal for the same reason (and then I didn't go back in 82). But I am considering going this year for one reason: Star of Indiana alumni corps.

Thanks & I can guarantee you this.....Star of Indiana Alumni will be ready to play for 8,000 or 800,000 - as will the corps competing for the championship.

Maybe it's just me - but If you're a real drum corps fan/DCI fan, isn't the choice to attend IF you have the ability, a bit of a no-brainer? Boycott the Super Bowl of music summer games because it's at Lucas Oil?? Is that really an option, and what does it solve, other than show the kids competing that it's not about them at all? I'm not saying it's the perfect place - but what can you really do about it. They know they need to change some things. Leave it at that & support the corps.

I think there are too many of the younger generation that are used to the indoor experience at this point to make the Finals numbers drop that far. Even still, I hope to never see this happen.

Contradicting myself here...I won't be helping their cause in filling the stadium because the indoor experience sucks to me. I have a choice...to spend my money on Atlanta or drive a bit further to Murfreesboro. Murfreesboro all the way for me. I suppose I could do both since they are on different nights, but I just dislike the dome show. It was alarming to me at my first dome show how much of a disconnect there is between the performers and the audience.

So with me, it's not about trying to send a message to DCI about there choice of show location. I just don't like to watch drumcorps indoors.

You're asking this community to go?

Have you MET the DCP "community?" The ones who, in majority vote, would rather have drum corps DIE then allow a sax into their pits? The DCP community is, mostly, a bunch of selfish, self important jerks who can't see past the year they marched. And you want them to do something giving?

You sir, ask a lot. I'll go to finals if I can afford it. DCI made a bad choice by leaving the roof closed. Roof open, no problems (one would think). But If you have the chance to go, go. No one likes performing to empty seats on finals night.