The Best Win vs. another corps winning

<Cadets '93>

I agree with Brasso...

were you there?

Phantom was...without any shadow or hint of doubt, the crowd favorite. I'd never before - and never again...seen the kind of mass hysteria that took over that stadium as Death Hunt came to it's quick and decisive ending. Amazing - and just about my favorite drum corps performance of all time -

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2009 was back to the same flawed processes.

In 2009 the gap between 1st and 2nd was more than a point-and-a-half which is a pretty decisive margin. How is that a flawed process?

Nah, I'm not buying it. You've gotta give the ring to the best corps. Folks loved the Jamaican Bobsled team, but would you give them the gold medal?

It's competitive drum corps, for heaven's sake. Not American Idol.

:smile: (no personal disrespect intended),

Fred O.

People who profess that they want the "fan favorite" to win pretty much always reduce "fan favorite" to "my favorite." Telling them that just makes them angry, though.

<Cadets '93>

I agree with Brasso...

were you there?

Phantom was...without any shadow or hint of doubt, the crowd favorite. I'd never before - and never again...seen the kind of mass hysteria that took over that stadium as Death Hunt came to it's quick and decisive ending. Amazing - and just about my favorite drum corps performance of all time -

Exactly, FHdork.

In 2009 the gap between 1st and 2nd was more than a point-and-a-half which is a pretty decisive margin. How is that a flawed process?

He's referring to Regiment specifically. Going from 1st to 9th IS pretty significant.

<Cadets '93>

I agree with Brasso...

were you there?

That was my favorite show of 1993, too.

I don't think it should have won.

Happens a lot with me.

That was my favorite show of 1993, too.

I don't think it should have won.

Happens a lot with me.

I'd agree too with this too. '93 Star and '93 Cadets really had a bit more demand, execution, visual, etc and warranted the scores they got in '93 , I thought.

Who I like and who I think deserve to win, are 2 separate questions for me. ( and probably with you, and maybe others too) I'm not always dazzled by difficult shows done with outstanding, but perhaps sterile, precision.

Edited by BRASSO

Yes, Phantom in 1993 put out a fine, fine show. I wasn't there for it, but I've seen the performance on DVD. I agree that it's terrific, and it's a performance that came within about a point of the title. With that blend of excellence and appeal I can see why it would be a perfect example for those who believe that too often the favorite show gets the shaft. Ditto for Phantom in 2008, a show that's been held up in this thread as a shining example of the judges getting it right for a change.

But what about Phantom in 2003? Harmonic Journey was clearly the fan favorite that year, but it was performed several steps below the champion Blue Devils. Same for Crown in 2007, another fan favorite that nonetheless also finished four points back of the champion, only just ahead of the Bluecoats for sixth place. Did those corps deserve to win, solely because they drew the most applause?

It's easy when the performances are close to say that the show you liked better deserved to win. I do it all the time with the Cavaliers 2003 show (shoulda been a four-peat :smile: ). But it becomes a lot harder to justify when the performance simply isn't there. If you truly believe that Phantom 2003 and Crown 2007 should have been champions, then we can have that discussion; until then, I think the answer to this topic is pretty clear.

FWIW, I truly enjoyed Crown's performance this past summer, and I would have loved to have seen that show take home a title. I've listened to that show as often as my perennial favorites The Cavaliers, and more often than other favorites like Bluecoats and Blue Knights. But when the Blue Devils took the field there was no question which corps deserved the title. It was like watching men amongst boys. The judges got it right in 2009.

One other thought,

How crappy would you feel if you were the corps that got a 'pity' title? How satisfying could that championship ever be, if you won it knowing that there was clearly a better corps out there that night?