How do you know you're talking to a serious DCI fan?

I will always call contras contras, and I will probably still call them Soprano (Empire marches G still, woot woot!) but I may call them Trumpet eventually (out of habit of course).

Contras will stay contras though!

and to the person who said you are a true fan if you were born before 1985...well not true lol I was born ten years later then that (do the math) and I know more about DCI than the average joe.

Sadly i'm the only person in my high school with any knowledge of the existence of drumcorps :smile:

I guess my high school was an anomaly (or just a Texas high school.)

Almost everyone in our band loved corps and at least knew something about it. (And we had like 250+ kids every year, I include guard.)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess my high school was an anomaly (or just a Texas high school.)

Almost everyone in our band loved corps and at least knew something about it. (And we had like 250+ kids every year, I include guard.)

Yeah, I live in Oswego, NY. Not a very big city so that's probably why!

Not to mention no corps near us, except the cadets and bluecoats.

Yeah, I live in Oswego, NY. Not a very big city so that's probably why!

Not to mention no corps near us, except the cadets and bluecoats.

Closest one was Crossmen (3 and half hour drive from Houston). Funny enough no one marched there. (BK, Coats, SCV, Troop, Teal, Mempho, Spirit, Cavs.) Go figure. Texas, I've noticed, is just weeeeeird.

Closest one was Crossmen (3 and half hour drive from Houston). Funny enough no one marched there. (BK, Coats, SCV, Troop, Teal, Mempho, Spirit, Cavs.) Go figure. Texas, I've noticed, is just weeeeeird.

Yeah that is weird. I mean it's understandable if your looking for a top 3 drum corps experience, but I would march with the Crossmen in an instant if I had the chance.

As long as they know about more than the top 7, and have seen at least 15 shows from before 2000, I can usually accept them.

Two things you will never hear from serious fans...

"Why is she dancing with that hat, why, why's she dancing dancing with that hat?" (Garfield at the Moline show)

"Why are they called the Blue Devils?" Response "Because they're dressed in blue."

And a few not mentoned :

" You know you're talking to a serious DCI fan when " :

a) When someone brings up the " hash mark " incident, they know that this can be any number of things..

b) if you mention " Garfield ", and the person doesn't immediately think of " a cat"

c) That person knows what " BAC " stands for...... and why.

d) They know where the best spot on the bus is..... and the worst.

e) They attempted to book a hotel reservation late to go watch a drum corps show, but found that all the hoel rooms within a 40 mile radius were booked..... but drove off in the middle of the nite for the show anyway.

F) they recall when Corps would break practice for 10 minutes for a smoke break..... and half the corps went.

G) They know at least 2 funny DCI drum corps stories on at least 3 current DCI judges.

h) they know at least 2 funny DCI drum corps stories on at least 3 current DCI current top 12 Corps staff

i) they know at least 2 funny DCI drum corps stories about you.

J) you know at least 2 funny DCI drum corps stories about them.

Edited by BRASSO