youngest snare drummer in a World Class Corps

Any idea of what age was the youngest snare drummer in a DCI World Class corps? I am not talking about somebody from a class A/open class corps, as I know there have been many very young players there....only World class.....

My first year teaching, we had a 12-year old make the snare line (average age was 18.5) who marched an amazing 10 seasons. He was also small all of the way until age-out, which meant he was on the end of the snare line his entire career. It used to be kind of funny to watch a 15 year old who was a 4 year veteran give tips to his 20 and 21 year old corpsmates......

GB

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any idea of what age was the youngest snare drummer in a DCI World Class corps? I am not talking about somebody from a class A/open class corps, as I know there have been many very young players there....only World class.....

My first year teaching, we had a 12-year old make the snare line (average age was 18.5) who marched an amazing 10 seasons. He was also small all of the way until age-out, which meant he was on the end of the snare line his entire career. It used to be kind of funny to watch a 15 year old who was a 4 year veteran give tips to his 20 and 21 year old corpsmates......

GB

I'll bet it is Rob Carson oF Santa Clara Vangard. :tongue:

Edited by john2780

Thats who I thought of as well.

Actually his name is Steve "the kid" Aleman, who marched in the Garfield Cadets snare line from 1979 to 1988.....winning 4 DCI titles: 83,84,85,87......always on the end of the line........but a fine player!! He was 12 in 1979.....I am curious if anyone marched snare in a world class line who was younger........

GB

I would think there's a good chance that someone very young could have marched a World Class corps. Think about how many World Class corps there were back in the day. Even now someone like Pioneer could very well have someone very young in the snare line. I think a better question would be the youngest snare line member who was in a top 12 line. Obviously the fellow you speak of was in the top 12 his second year at age 13. We had a 14 year old in our snare line in '87.

While not a world class corps, my first year with the Blue Saints was basically a 'rebuilding year' and there was a lot of young faces that year (my self included, I was 10 years old at the time). So it's not unrealistic for a World Class Corps to have a young snare drummer, espicallly as everyone has said 'back in the day'

And also with no membership 'age' records kept it'd be a hard thing to prove. You're bascially going on people saying "I marched with...", "I instructed...", or "I know a guy who marched with a guy who...."

While not a world class corps, my first year with the Blue Saints was basically a 'rebuilding year' and there was a lot of young faces that year (my self included, I was 10 years old at the time). So it's not unrealistic for a World Class Corps to have a young snare drummer, espicallly as everyone has said 'back in the day'

And also with no membership 'age' records kept it'd be a hard thing to prove. You're bascially going on people saying "I marched with...", "I instructed...", or "I know a guy who marched with a guy who...."

All I was saying is that 12 is quite young for a snare in a major competitor, and I just wanted to see if anyone marched as a snare in a major DCI corps younger than that. Even more remarkable is that this kid marched on the end of the snare line for 10 consecutive seasons and won 4 championships.

GB

All I was saying is that 12 is quite young for a snare in a major competitor, and I just wanted to see if anyone marched as a snare in a major DCI corps younger than that. Even more remarkable is that this kid marched on the end of the snare line for 10 consecutive seasons and won 4 championships.

GB

This fellow did not march in the Garfield snare line for ten years. He stopped marching after the 84 season. This would make for a cool story, however this did not happen.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you had to be at least 13 years old to march in a "World Class" Corps (or what ever they were called at the time).

In that case, Rob Carson was one of the youngest to march in a WC drumline . I bet there were more through the years though.

Edited by MsBusDriver