2008 Finals Retreat

And was mostly blamed on the Blue Devils. Turns out that's not the case. I have seen a video online which - although I am not allowed to tell how to access it - shows pretty conclusive evidence of the Blue Knights ####### all over America/O Canada. I will not, if you PM me, tell you how to find the video, but suffice to say that it does exist, and is pretty bad. It is kind of amusing to me, after months and months of diatribes about the Blue Devils being sore losers and playing like #### because they were "angry" they lost, etc, that some pretty damning evidence has come up that it was in fact another corps.

Now, this raises some interesting questions, as the video in question also captures some members of other corps playing pretty disgracefully. Was it, now that we've seen that the mishaps were not limited to a single corps, reasonable for DCI to go the route that they did in rehashing the retreat system? Is there a better way to do things besides the "stadium entrance" that happened last year. Discuss.

Edited by Dave
filter circumvention - ds

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, in the interest of keeping this thread open for discussion: if you do find the video, please do not post a link or imply how someone can reach it in this thread. The mods will be very angry, and I would prefer for this thread to not be locked.

And was mostly blamed on the Blue Devils. Turns out that's not the case. I have seen a video online which - although I am not allowed to tell how to access it - shows pretty conclusive evidence of the Blue Knights ####### all over America/O Canada. I will not, if you PM me, tell you how to find the video, but suffice to say that it does exist, and is pretty bad. It is kind of amusing to me, after months and months of diatribes about the Blue Devils being sore losers and playing like sh** because they were ###### they lost, etc, that some pretty damning evidence (I love filters. . . I can't use words that wouldn't be censored on daytime TV) has come up that it was in fact another corps.

Now, this raises some interesting questions, as the video in question also captures some members of other corps playing pretty disgracefully. Was it, now that we've seen that the mishaps were not limited to a single corps, reasonable for DCI to go the route that they did in rehashing the retreat system? Is there a better way to do things besides the "stadium entrance" that happened last year. Discuss.

Yes the culprits of what happened AFTER the song finished might have been BK, but take it from someone who was sitting in front of BD, they did more than their share also, and videos on that same site make this clear.

What's done is done, and the new retreat system probably won't ever change back to playing en mass because of the dome.

moving on

So if there were other culprits, and possibly there was a prior agreement to play ####, what's wrong with the activity that even the MM can screw off this way? What happened to the discipline? Does it end with the show? Is this an indication that the "life lessons" of drum corps are fading, too?

And, do the parents take the TV out of the room so no one can enjoy it just because one kid can't stop turning it off just for the attention?

DCI should keep the retreat - it's part of the TRADITION of DC - and teach the kids to not be jerks. IMO.

As someone who was there in '08 - it was a big deal when it happened, and really wasn't about 5 minutes later. As for two years ago this August - *really* not a big deal anymore.

Mike

Agreed. Now where's my dead horse picture? :shutup:

IIRC, the Cavaliers took a lot of heat for their behavior on the the field at retreat that year. FWIW, if you watched them on the field this year, they were model citizens (at least from where I was sitting). The playing en masse issue had nothing to do with the entrance onto the field; this last year was terrible IMO and they should go back to coming on the field in an "Olympic" style retreat. That is one of the most spectacular sights in all of drum corps.

IIRC, the Cavaliers took a lot of heat for their behavior on the the field at retreat that year. FWIW, if you watched them on the field this year, they were model citizens (at least from where I was sitting). The playing en masse issue had nothing to do with the entrance onto the field; this last year was terrible IMO and they should go back to coming on the field in an "Olympic" style retreat. That is one of the most spectacular sights in all of drum corps.

Don't get me wrong, there was a lot of bad behavior at retreat that year. Cavies' Samurai stunt, the Bluecoats' public intoxication, the terrible noises that came across in America/O Canada, Scouts bassline refusing to leave the field. I'm just saying that, as far as O Canada is concerned, most of the blame was put on BD. While I'm not saying that the Blue Devils hornline played the page during America/O Canada, they definitely weren't the only one. And man, that BK video is very, very bad.