How About the Youngsters?

I have been reading the "What Dino's like about modern corps" and a large majority of them mentioned they really appreciated the kids. Honestly this got me thinking. What do we, the younger/current generation of member like about corps? Past and present? What drew you to corps in the first place?

(I'll post my story in another post)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personal Story:

The first time I saw anything drum corps was 2003, Phantom Regiment. I had no idea what it was, but I loved it. I was officially hooked into marching, but not corps yet.

I was then formally reintroduced to corps in high school. I asked my private instructor about corps and he, being a Star alum, recommended me some shows. I was blown away. I thought what we were doing in high school was something (to be fair, we were fairly highly regarded in Texas), but this blew all of that out of the water. (I should mention that I had been following since late-2005 which was when I had been "Reawakened to corps")

So I started paying attention to corps, started following Troop, Vanguard, Crossmen and Phantom, but what sealed the deal for me was 2008 semi-finals broadcast, Spartacus. (And Finis.) That made me determined to march. To reach that level. After getting with Mempho last year to where I am now with Troopers. And still going. :]

What I love about corps is the dedication, the competition, the music and movement, the glory and that special feeling of preforming your ### off.

I love big impacts, and corps that go on forever, and the emotion and intensity. Being apart of something more then me, yet all about me too. Walls of sound, drum breaks, crazy visuals, marching at 220 bpm.

I love '89 and '09 and (almost) all the changes since then. It's so hard to articulate what makes me love it, I just do.

I guess my knowledge of the past is somewhat limited. I haven't seen too much before '88, though I'm slowly working my way back.

So that's my take, I wish I could articulate it better, but it is hard to put words to love and passion. (Sorry this got so long, felt like putting it all out there)

HLD.

Edited by SuperTrumpet64

There were two things that got me hooked to the activity - the precision and the passion. The first two shows I saw were from 2004 (The Cavaliers) and 1989 (Santa Clara Vanguard). The 2004 Cavaliers show impressed me with its level of difficulty and high level of execution. I had quite simply never seen anything like it before...I mean, I had seen marching band (and was in one), but before Cavies '04, I had never seen anything of that level. Then when I saw SCV '89, I was overwhelmed by the performance level. I had never before felt goosebumps in any sort of marching show, but when that company front in "Music Of The Night" hit, I had chills all over!

In other words, I like drum corps because the level of execution is unparalleled, whether we're talking about 2004 or 1989. That, and I simply love the thrill of performing, and I'm glad that I was able to experience it for two years in DCI.

Not sure if this post makes a whole lot of sense since I'm pretty tired, but hopefully it does. Feel free to ask questions if there's any confusion!

Well, my sister started marching in '94, so that's when I first really knew/found out about drum corps. I was only like 4 or 5 when she first joined in the off-season. She marched with Phoenix, a small Div. 3 corps from Waltham, MA. She was there untill the '97 season. She then took a season off, then in '99 she marched with the Boston Crusaders, which was the first year they ever made finals. My parents had volunteered for two weeks during tour, and I got to go both weeks. One of those was finals week. I just remember watching the corps practice every so often, and I just remember thinking of how hard they practice, and how good they were, and how pasionate everyone seemed to be about not only the activity, but the corps. And how someday I wanted to be a part of that myself someday. And I've been a fan ever sense.

I'm still very new to Drum Corps (Been into it only a couple of years), the first time I had ever heard of any drum corps was when I learned that our marching band's uniforms are based off of the Blue Devils. Well, it turns out our uniforms are actually based off of BDB, but that's beside the point! It was a little bit later that I heard other kids in the band start mentioning this thing called "Phantom Regiment" I'd never heard of it, so I started looking up stuff about it. It was the fall of '08 and I happened to find a video of Spartacus online. It was a grainy, low video quality multi-cam rip, but that didn't matter. As soon as I heard that opening fanfare I was hooked. I was excited just watching the show on my computer screen, and when the "good guy" drum major killed the head DM and took over I flipped. To me this was the greatest thing I had seen. The rest came quickly as I heard about other corps and tried to listen and watch as much of it as I could. I got to go see the San Antonio show last summer and that just blew my mind. The sound, the precision, the beauty of it. It was amazing. I'm gonna be going to the San Antonio (Or wherever they're having it this year) show again this summer and there's a very good chance that I'll be trying out for a certain Texas corps come next fall :thumbup:

I went to a very small high school in the middle of nowhere, so I didn't learn about drum corps until I got to college. I was trading mixed CDs with a friend from the music department, when he asked if I wanted any drum corps shows. To his horror, I had no idea what he was talking about, and he quickly brought up a youtube vid of Phantom Regiment's 2003 show. It was the first show I ever saw, and it remains my favorite to this very day. I was hooked on the sound from the opening of the canon; it was the most breathtaking thing I had ever heard.

I must have spent hours over the next few weeks scouring the internet for other information, much to the dismay of my roommate. I found out that finals were going to be in CA that year for the first time ever, and told my parents that a trip down to Pasadena all I wanted for my birthday. I took my best friend who was in pit with me. She was forced to witness the early stages of my growing addiction. I'm sure it was quite terrifying.

Two years later, I somehow convinced all the appropriate stars to align and marched trumpet with Pacific Crest for my rook-out year. Even as a music major in college, I had never been a part of a group with such drive and determination. Halfway through the season, I realized that my favorite part about it was being on a field with 149 other people who wanted the same thing I did. Breathing together, charging across the field, pouring yourself into the music is a sensation I miss about corps every day. The memory of the bliss from knowing that you left everything you ever had on the field will be with me forever.

I'm still very new to Drum Corps (Been into it only a couple of years), the first time I had ever heard of any drum corps was when I learned that our marching band's uniforms are based off of the Blue Devils. Well, it turns out our uniforms are actually based off of BDB, but that's beside the point! It was a little bit later that I heard other kids in the band start mentioning this thing called "Phantom Regiment" I'd never heard of it, so I started looking up stuff about it. It was the fall of '08 and I happened to find a video of Spartacus online. It was a grainy, low video quality multi-cam rip, but that didn't matter. As soon as I heard that opening fanfare I was hooked. I was excited just watching the show on my computer screen, and when the "good guy" drum major killed the head DM and took over I flipped. To me this was the greatest thing I had seen. The rest came quickly as I heard about other corps and tried to listen and watch as much of it as I could. I got to go see the San Antonio show last summer and that just blew my mind. The sound, the precision, the beauty of it. It was amazing. I'm gonna be going to the San Antonio (Or wherever they're having it this year) show again this summer and there's a very good chance that I'll be trying out for a certain Texas corps come next fall :thumbup:

Some things never do change... whether one is new Drum Corps, or been around for years. One of those things that never change is the jaw dropping, mouth wide open, starry eyed fascinatiion most of us here remember the first time we got to see a Drum Corps or Drum Corps competition up close and personal. The year may have been different. The Corps different. How we heard about Drum Corps different. But the amazing, almost magical feelings most of us had are pretty much the same. And this is a very good thing indeed.

Edited by BRASSO

Some things never do change... whether one is new Drum Corps, or been around for years. One of those things that never change is the jaw dropping, mouth wide open, starry eyed fascinatiion most of us here remember the first time we got to see a Drum Corps or Drum Corps competition up close and personal. The year may have been different. The Corps different. How we heard about Drum Corps different. But the amazing, almost magical feelings most of us had are pretty much the same. And this is a very good thing indeed.

Lol...this may sound strange, but sometimes I wished I had never marched, just so I could still have that naive, yet magical, wonder towards the whole thing....

Lol...this may sound strange, but sometimes I wished I had never marched, just so I could still have that naive, yet magical, wonder towards the whole thing....

I think I know what you mean. In my case anyway, after I was introduced to Drum Corps, wild horses couldn't keep me away from wanting to march.