Bold predictions for 2010

BOLD PREDICTION

after last year's poor placement, Regiment will do a show this year that is very visual-centric. their music will actually need the visual to make sense.

well, after further analysis, maybe that's not so bold after all...but who would've ever expected them to do a 180?

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BOLD PREDICTION

after last year's poor placement, Regiment will do a show this year that is very visual-centric. their music will actually need the visual to make sense.

well, after further analysis, maybe that's not so bold after all...but who would've ever expected them to do a 180?

Me. The pathway to a DCI Title is not a unique brass and/ or percusssion show. It is through the unique implementation of the VISUAL and GUARD.

The eyes have it.... not the ears( MTV generational effect... It's how you LOOK., ie emote, pose, etc )

Uniforms ( ie costumes ) are more important in scoring than baritone line note release uniformity, for instance. Progressive Corps can soon be expected to do novel things with costuming in hopes of generating higher points that helps rise in placements.

Evolution of the genre. Change happens.

Edited by BRASSO

Me. The pathway to a DCI Title is not a unique brass and/ or percusssion show. It is through the unique implementation of the VISUAL and GUARD.

The eyes have it.... not the ears( MTV generational effect... It's how you LOOK., ie emote, pose, etc )

Uniforms ( ie costumes ) are more important in scoring than baritone line note release uniformity, for instance. Progressive Corps can soon be expected to do novel things with costuming in hopes of generating higher points that helps rise in placements.

you definitely have a sea change when the traditionalist is no longer one.

I think he meant it doesn't have the same ring because the lights are going to be on

all the time since we are in a Dome.

Anywy, here's my BOLD predictions...............

1 - Glassmen...............99.95

2 - Crown....................99.9

3 - SCV.......................98.8

4 - Phantom.................98.75

5 - Boston....................97.1

6 - Cavs......................95.4

7 - BD.........................91.3

8 - Madison..................91.2

9 - Cadets....................89.15

10 - Spirit.....................89.0

11 - Academy...............87.9

12 - Blue Stars.............87.75

You...you think the Bluecoats are going to fall out of finals?

Ok then.

You...you think my predictions are serious?

Ok then. :laughing:

Since when are anybody's predictions taken seriously ?

And better yet....."why "?

I can't say that I agree with you on this one.

Does visual play a much greater role in show design than it did say 20 years ago, I would say that. To truly say that the music doesn't matter(which is what your statement about the eyes having it....not the ears) is both untrue and sad, in my opinion.

Let's take a stroll down memory lane and look at the past 3 champions to see if this is the "trend."

2007 BD-I would hardly consider this show to be focused on the visual.

2008 PR-Again, good visual, but nothing earth shattering, much stronger in the music.

2009-Let's look at the top 5, it's all music.

If anything, I could see this statement being true if we evaluated it after watching the 2005 Cadets, but then it seemed in 2006 as though people did not want, or were not ready for that type of show.

If corps want to do all sorts of costume changes, forget the music, and just focus on the theatrical side of things, then we may as well see the whole thing move indoors.

I don't see this being the case though.

On another note, we much more often see people asking the question about what this corps or that corps is playing this year, not what color their park benches sleeves of their uniform will look like.

Not bashing, just thinking while typing.

I can't say that I agree with you on this one.

Does visual play a much greater role in show design than it did say 20 years ago, I would say that. To truly say that the music doesn't matter(which is what your statement about the eyes having it....not the ears) is both untrue and sad, in my opinion.

Let's take a stroll down memory lane and look at the past 3 champions to see if this is the "trend."

2007 BD-I would hardly consider this show to be focused on the visual.

2008 PR-Again, good visual, but nothing earth shattering, much stronger in the music.

2009-Let's look at the top 5, it's all music.

If anything, I could see this statement being true if we evaluated it after watching the 2005 Cadets, but then it seemed in 2006 as though people did not want, or were not ready for that type of show.

If corps want to do all sorts of costume changes, forget the music, and just focus on the theatrical side of things, then we may as well see the whole thing move indoors.

I don't see this being the case though.

On another note, we much more often see people asking the question about what this corps or that corps is playing this year, not what color their park benches sleeves of their uniform will look like.

Not bashing, just thinking while typing.

I thought 08 Phantom was just about the perfect marriage of music and visual. There is no way that show would have connected with the audience like it did without the intense and thoroughly committed theme being constantly driven home throughout the show.

I thought 08 Phantom was just about the perfect marriage of music and visual. There is no way that show would have connected with the audience like it did without the intense and thoroughly committed theme being constantly driven home throughout the show.

I see your point. And I agree.

I don't think either aspect was more important to the designers, and I think audience members liked it whether they were strictly into the musical side of things, or the visual.

That being said, I still don't believe that the visual should dictate everything else.

When I think back on some of the Cavalier shows that were designed around the drill, with original (variations on a theme of long tone chords with quarter note melodies) music that the corps put on a few years ago, I think we found a disconnect. I can't stand to listen to recordings from those years of them, and when I watch the video, it was really flashy, but IMHO, poorly executed drill.

Again, just my opinion.

Bold prediction for 2010: A UFO with flashing lights spelling out "TRUMP" will descend upon J. Birney Crum Stadium's field during Betty White's performance of the "Star Spangled Banner" at the DCI Eastern Classic, resulting in greatly increased sales of root beer snow cones. George Hopkins will then sing karaoke to the tune, "Disco Duck," while the audience claps along by slapping together fluorescent purple flip-flops. This will result in the souvie vehicle for Pacific Crest being sucked into the stratosphere, to be replaced by a spontaneously-generated walk-up Starbucks concession that will only sell venti soy caramel frappichino extra whip.

At least that's the dream I had last night, and sometimes, my dreams come true.

Another Bold Prediction, Michael Boo will come up with some funny one-liners this year