The Roof Will Be Open

Anyone ever post or find out how long it takes to close the roof?

Also how much noise is generated when the roof is opened/closed?

And totally agree on LOS staff will call the shots... their house... their rules.... DCI might not get any say in the matter. Including days that are hot and humid, LOS powers that be may keep the roof closed because it might take the AC a long time to catch up after the roof is closed.

9 minutes, according to the stadium

website. I think the opening/closing of the roof is fairly quiet, but I've been there to see it open in person. There is a video of the roof opening on a certain well-known tube-themed website, if anyone is curious.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry, but I don't see it that way. if any corps is in a position to change placement from their performance order and they are on that roof bubble for open/closed, both corps should have the closest possible environment.

sure does anyone really think 22 and 2 will change? no. but honestly, for corps as close as 15 and 16, yes they should have an open roof.

How so? If they're both making semis then flip flopping after quarters won't make much of a difference...

I’d encourage you to look at the results from the last 10 years and find out how often a drop from 15th to 18th has occurred, or how often a jump from 18th or lower to 15th or higher has occurred. I’d be willing to bet not often. So yes, it is hard to see how that could become an issue.

Corps have moved three spots or more from their seeding position on numerous occasions. I don't have all the performance orders handy, but off the top of my head, I know Magic performed third in 2002 quarters and made top 12.

Yay! Another positive comment.

Your post is full of personal opinion and presumption of the rules for opening the roof, i.e. the chance for rain limitation.

Please post proof.

Do YOU live in the midwest? I do. If you don't then I'm better qualified than you (and the decision makers are epically more qualified than either of us), to determine this limitation number.

It's all opinion until you provide proof of your contention.

If the roof can be closed in 9 minutes, wouldn't today's doppler allow for enough time to close it with no problems if any rain is on the way??

GB

If the roof can be closed in 9 minutes, wouldn't today's doppler allow for enough time to close it with no problems if any rain is on the way??

GB

In a perfect world that should be enough time. But storms can sometimes pop up almost out of nowhere on a humid summer day. Here's one example I mentioned in an earlier thread about LOS:

There was a storm here in Wisconsin last summer that went from nothing on the radar to there being a tornado on the ground in less than 15 minutes. Not to mention, it happened on a day when there were no other storms in Wisconsin at the time. Because the storm formed so fast, the National Weather Service didn't initially believe the radar. It wasn't until a nearby airport tower and landing airplane reported a tornado on the ground that they actually issued a warning.

Now hopefully there aren't any tornadoes in Indy this summer, but it serves the point that even if you have a live radar in front of you, things can sometimes pop up. I'm pretty sure that the staff at LOS don't even want to take that chance.

Yes, if somebody watches the radar, there's time to close the roof with a storm approaching as part of an advancing line of showers. But as as Pioneer Webmaster suggests, many summer rain storms pop up on the radar as blobs in unstable air. There is no visible line of showers; they just appear. And those can be torrential rain producers that could make the LOS field unusable for days, since there is zero drainage. So they're unlikely to take a chance in humid, unstable air with a chance of rain in the forecast. And that happens more days than not in early August in Indy.

It will take some luck to even get to test this for quarterfinals.

Corps have moved three spots or more from their seeding position on numerous occasions. I don't have all the performance orders handy, but off the top of my head, I know Magic performed third in 2002 quarters and made top 12.

That example doesn't count. Their initial performance order was only because they were classified as a Div. II (which they were in name only, due to DCI's then-current rules about corps returning after a hiatus). The situation was such an anomaly that they altered the guidelines after that so it didn't happen again. Had they been competing as a Div. I all season they wouldn't have been that far back to begin with.

Is there some minor movement among the corps in those lower placements? Sure, but rarely is there a jump of even more than two spots.

Youre not wrong about the heat of the day...but there are other considerations that most people dont realize. You still have to prep your corps performance in that heat and then go inside to a totally different climate if you are in that 16-20 something bracket. It is not as easy as most would think. Instruments change with temperature, and corps are used to rehearsing outside in the heat. Sudden shifts in temperature are very difficult to deal with while trying to tune a brass line....

Donny

Why doesn't DCI utilize the indoor warm-up areas like BOA to reduce this problem?

Anyone ever post or find out how long it takes to close the roof?

Also how much noise is generated when the roof is opened/closed?

And totally agree on LOS staff will call the shots... their house... their rules.... DCI might not get any say in the matter. Including days that are hot and humid, LOS powers that be may keep the roof closed because it might take the AC a long time to catch up after the roof is closed.

9 minutes to open, 12 minutes to close the roof. 6 minutes to open or close the north window.

That example doesn't count. Their initial performance order was only because they were classified as a Div. II (which they were in name only, due to DCI's then-current rules about corps returning after a hiatus). The situation was such an anomaly that they altered the guidelines after that so it didn't happen again. Had they been competing as a Div. I all season they wouldn't have been that far back to begin with.

Is there some minor movement among the corps in those lower placements? Sure, but rarely is there a jump of even more than two spots.

but 15 and 16 flip flopping IS possible