Finals Weekend Change?

I'm a DCA rookie, so bear with me if this is somewhat ignorant.

From what I can tell via the interwebs, there were 13 DCA Open Class corps competing in Prelims. 10 of those corps went on to Finals. With Brigs and Cru not competing this year, there are (as far as I know) 11 Open Class corps. As it stands, only one corps will not make finals. Is there any reason DCA might change the format of Finals weekend because of this. Maybe have the top 8 go onto finals, or have everyone go to finals ans just use prelim scores to determine order? Just a thought that popped into my head on the way to work.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, there are likely 12 open-class entrants. Kidsgrove Scouts are also competing in open.

Secondly, since class declarations aren't finalized until June 1st, there's no way to presume there won't be additional corps entering open-class.

Third, changing the cutoff in reaction to corps dropping out would be discouraging to the corps that hang in. Open-class units are already several months into preparations for their campaign to compete for that top-10 finals berth....that's no time to change it to top-8 and pull the carrot farther out of reach.

First of all, there are likely 12 open-class entrants. Kidsgrove Scouts are also competing in open.

Secondly, since class declarations aren't finalized until June 1st, there's no way to presume there won't be additional corps entering open-class.

Third, changing the cutoff in reaction to corps dropping out would be discouraging to the corps that hang in. Open-class units are already several months into preparations for their campaign to compete for that top-10 finals berth....that's no time to change it to top-8 and pull the carrot farther out of reach.

true,,..............say KS make finals, they will fall into the international catagory, where the 11th place corps would move into that voting spot,.....................or something,..................

Pretty sure there has been at least one year in the past where only 10 corps entered open class prelims, and there weren't any changes.

Seems like I remember years when there were only 11 or 12 corps...I think that was even before Class A, IIRC that was one of the reasons why Class A evolved-give the smaller units a chance to compete on an even playing field so to speak. They didn't change the format (and IIRC, the Buccaneers were one of the corps that DIDN'T make finals!!! Hard to believe there was a time!!!!)

1993 DCA had 13 corps---total! All competed in Prelims and Finals.

The 2000 season with Championships in Syracuse yielded only 11 Open Class Units. Heat Wave finished 11th and performed in exhibition at Finals, in addition to the Class A Champ Generations, who topped a 4 corps field IIRC.

I think 2001 also may have had only 11 Open Class with Kilties missing finals, and 5 in Class A.

2002 had 12 Open Class, all making Finals.

Numbers seem to have grown since then.

you can pretty much find any scenario you wish in historical context...

bottom line... DCA will deal with this when the ACTUAL information is available - certainly, NO decision will be even considered until the June 1 Class A declaration deadline. Kidsgrove definitely kicks in the "international" aspect and that will be dealt with. There are just too many variables to even bother discussing this right now.

A good topic to discuss would be: How many and which corps are coming to Rochester in 2010?

Here is my list - which is NOT official (yet):

Alliance

Buccaneers

Bushwackers

Caballeros

Carolina Gold

CorpsVets

Empire Statesmen

Excelsior

Fusion Core

Govenaires

Grenadiers

Gulf Coast Sound

Kidsgrove Scouts

Kiltiies

Hurricanes

Minnesota Brass

Music City Legend

Renegades

Shenandoah Sound

So Cal Dream

Sun Devils

Sunrisers

Vigilantes

White Sabers

Awaiting evaluation:

Skyliners

High Country Brass

Sounds of Philadelphia

That gives us a potential for 27 corps at prelims which is more than last year.

Edited by TomPeashey

so, if everyone is finally back up and running in the next 2 years, plan on breakfast lunc and dinner at the stadium on Saturday!!

I am not making a command statement here. I am basing this off of what Tom just posted. Based on assumptions and statuses from last season; DCA 2010 could potentially look like this:

Open

Alliance

Buccaneers

Bushwackers

Caballeros

CorpsVets

Empire Statesmen

Kiltiies

Hurricanes

Minnesota Brass

Music City Legend

Renegades

International Open

Kidsgrove Scouts

Class A

Carolina Gold

Excelsior

Fusion Core

Govenaires

Grenadiers

Gulf Coast Sound

High Country Brass

Shenandoah Sound

Skyliners

So Cal Dream

Sounds of Philadelphia

Sun Devils

Sunrisers

Vigilantes

White Sabers

If it goes down this way, Class A will be VERY fun to watch unfold.

If it goes down this way, Class A will be VERY fun to watch unfold.

Agreed!! Only thing I dont like about marching Class A is I dont get to see all the corps perform. I find Class A has so much variation. By that I mean you get to see new arrangers/composers coming into play. New people write the drill and you get to see what new design teams come up with. I know I've said this before, but a personally believe the individual member in class A matters far more then in Open class.

Looking forward to a wonderful season,

See you all on the 50!