Alumni corps at DCA weekend

I'm new to the whole DCA thing with last year being my first trip to Rochester. After doing some off season research I have a question for someone that might be in the know.

It looks like the Alumni show on Sunday of DCA weekend has basically had the same group of Alumni corps for the past few years. However, it seems like there are a growing number of alumni corps. Is there a reason that no new alumni corps are going to Rochester? Is it just because they chose to not go? Is their no room on the schedule? Other reasons?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed all of the alumni performances I saw last year, I would just like to see some new ones added as well.

Thanks!

I would imagine distance is a factor...you did see some different faces when finals were in Scranton.

Labor Day Weekend can be a killer too with family get togethers and getting kids off to college. Don't forget that lot of Alumnis do Memorial Day and 4th of July parades which screws up those holidays to a certain extent.

I'd say family would keep some from being able to perform.

When the championships leaves Rochester, I would expect to see some change to the alumni mix as it does tend to be geographic... That being said, there is no ground swell of alumni corps NOT participating who wish to do so.

When the championships leaves Rochester, I would expect to see some change to the alumni mix as it does tend to be geographic... That being said, there is no ground swell of alumni corps NOT participating who wish to do so.

Tom,

Maybe you can explain how one gets into the Alumni portion of the show at DCA's.

Thanks,

Dave

I would imagine distance is a factor...you did see some different faces when finals were in Scranton.

The TBIRDS performed in 2006 at the Alumni Show just after the monsoon. It was our 50th Anniversary year which got us the nod to play. Our understanding has always been that this is by invitation only. Just sayin.......

Tom,

Maybe you can explain how one gets into the Alumni portion of the show at DCA's.

Thanks,

Dave

From my experience, the corps that performed at the previous year's show are invited. However, those corps have to demonstrate through the course of the year, that they are viable and have a show(you know what I mean). If those corps accept, the show gets filled with them. If a corps from the previous year does not accept, or does not have a viable show, my understanding is the DCA board decides who to invite. Larry Hershman is the Alumni show chairperson.

Tom,

Thanks,

Dave

Direct contact with DCA Vice President and Alumni Show Chairman Larry Hershman is the only way to do it. Any alumni corps that wishes to perform basically needs to let it be known that they wish to appear. At that point, if everyone on the contest committee is confident of their ability to perform, they would be invited - here's the kicker - when an opening exists.

As I said earlier, change tends to occur more when the show moves to a new venue - not exclusively, but that seems to often be the case. The show is in Rochester through 2011. No decision has been made on 2012/13.

Direct contact with DCA Vice President and Alumni Show Chairman Larry Hershman is the only way to do it. Any alumni corps that wishes to perform basically needs to let it be known that they wish to appear. At that point, if everyone on the contest committee is confident of their ability to perform, they would be invited - here's the kicker - when an opening exists.

As I said earlier, change tends to occur more when the show moves to a new venue - not exclusively, but that seems to often be the case. The show is in Rochester through 2011. No decision has been made on 2012/13.

As always Tom... you are very helpful.

Now we know.

Thanks,

Dave

Am I mistaken, or were there ten corps in the Alumni show originally? After The DCA moved to Rochester from Scranton, did it 'shrink' by one corps?

I have heard in the past of a corps or two being invited but declining for one reason or another. I cannot confirm if this is fact or just drum corps 'urban myth,' however. I am sure that distance, cost, holiday weekend family commitments, etc. could all be possible contributing factors if it is true.