Mellophone Spots?

You should go for the Troopers spot! A great corps to be a part of I'm sure.

Also, guys and gals of DCP, there is nothing wrong with wanting to be a part of a "top 10" group. The desire to be a part of an organization that does competitively well is not something to frown upon! (Of course, there are exceptions to that "rule")

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow :doh: . With the economy still as shaky as it is, and people getting hit at the last minute with financial surprises, why on Earth would any corps be cutting people at this late date? They must be awefully confident that they won't have anyone running into financial issues, girl/boyfriend issues, family issues, school issues, etc., etc. So many corps come looking for folks in late May/early June once training camps start........

The only good reason I can think of is if they just wanted to keep a few people that were on the bubble for a while to see if they would improve. If they don't, then they get cut. It sucks, I've been there, but life will go on.

The only good reason I can think of is if they just wanted to keep a few people that were on the bubble for a while to see if they would improve. If they don't, then they get cut. It sucks, I've been there, but life will go on.

I think you missed my point. I was not criticizing the corps for cutting them so late in the winter. I was aksing why they are cutting the last few people at all. Everybody who has been around here for more than a season knows that corps from top to bottom always lose people in May and June due to all kinds of problems, such as those that I mentioned in my previous post. If you can hold onto these "bubble" people into the spring, there is an excellent chance they will wind up marching.

If the O.P. self-cut, then this is a moot point. BUT, if the corps cut them instead of offering them an alternate spot............just wow.

I'd be really interested to hear where the O.P. landed.

Also, guys and gals of DCP, there is nothing wrong with wanting to be a part of a "top 10" group. The desire to be a part of an organization that does competitively well is not something to frown upon! (Of course, there are exceptions to that "rule")

Yeah, but beggars can't be choosers, I think is how the phrase goes.

I'm guessing that this is one of those bogus posts floated to stir up an argument. Anyone who thought that playing in a corps that didn't make top 10 would have no idea what this activity was about and probably wouldn't be hanging around DCP anyway except to stir up ####.

Not that anyone has ever done that before.

If this was an actual sincere post, then I'm (sort of) sorry for saying you don't have a clue, although... might want to see if that Dinkel fits...

Edited by rayfallon

well there are multiple options that have been listed here, so if the OP wants to march, there are no excuses.

Or, OP can wait until June and try to fill a whole hole. Might be hard to do that without prior corps experience though. A lot of holes in June are filled through personal connections.

Edited by soccerguy315

Definately try for the Troopers. They are a class organization going only up! I remember seeing members from the big California corps going to Troopers to age out just for the thrill. This may have been 30 years ago, but, the aura of marching an original corps like Troopers, Madison, or SCV is something that you may have to think about. :doh:

Or, OP can wait until June and try to fill a whole. Might be hard to do that without prior corps experience though.

I apologize in advance for lack of restraint, but can't help but point out that even with corps experience, it would be hard for one person to fill a whole.

I think you missed my point. I was not criticizing the corps for cutting them so late in the winter. I was aksing why they are cutting the last few people at all. Everybody who has been around here for more than a season knows that corps from top to bottom always lose people in May and June due to all kinds of problems, such as those that I mentioned in my previous post. If you can hold onto these "bubble" people into the spring, there is an excellent chance they will wind up marching.

If the O.P. self-cut, then this is a moot point. BUT, if the corps cut them instead of offering them an alternate spot............just wow.

I'd be really interested to hear where the O.P. landed.

Haven't heard of corps just flat out cutting people this late. Usually they'll make an offer for you to be an alternate for the summer or they can let you go as though you had been cut (w/ tour fees refunded). But I totally understand leaving the corps if such an offer were made. While you hear a lot of stories of alternates getting a spot, there are alternates who never get to put the uniform on.

My advice is to start sending tapes to caption heads (super easy if you saved your camp tapes to your computer!). Email everyone, because some corps won't publicize holes right away, and tell them what you've done so far this winter. Do this now and then do this in May if you still haven't found a home. My first year I was offered an alternate spot at a top 5 coprs after the last April camp, declined it, and then after talking and sending tapes to a couple other corps was invited to move in with another Finalist corps. Stay in shape through move ins so that it's clear you can march the spot. After all, you nearly made a Top 5 corps, so you are probably good enough to march most finalist corps. (Don't really understand the distinction of top 10 as opposed to finalist. 10ths not so far off from 13th.)

Also, +1 for the Troopers.

Edited by fourouttheforty