bass drum sizes

What do various corps use as sizes for their bass drums?

I was watching some Cadets drum videos and I began to wonder because their middle 3 drums look pretty close in size.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do various corps use as sizes for their bass drums?

I was watching some Cadets drum videos and I began to wonder because their middle 3 drums look pretty close in size.

Pretty sure the average is 18 22 24 28 30 but they vary.

Pretty sure the average is 18 22 24 28 30 but they vary.

I doubt that, I can't say I've ever seen that combination...not enough of a drop between 4 and 5. When I marched junior coprs we used 18, 20, 22, 26, 32 and that is probably my favorite combo. I can't explain it, but from my experience I avoid 24" drums like the plague. But you are correct corps use many different combos.

I just wonder what the sizes were for the Offensive Lions in, I think it was 1979 or 1980 when they marched 8 bass drums? I was never a drummer so I have no idea!

I miss the old days of the large tonal bass drums from the late 70's early 80's. Just listen to the split runs at the end of Spirit's Nutville, those bass drums sounded great. Some of those drums had to be close to 38" to 42" or larger.

Today's smaller, higher pitched and muffled bass drums don't add nearly as much bottom end to the overall sound. They are more like small to large tom's turned sideways. And in the domed stadiums that sound really gets lost.

it makes me sad that corps are starting to shy away from 32" drums... they make such a difference in sound quality to me.

Its mostly due to problems finding good people who can actually carry them. Plus, well...the dome.

Its mostly due to problems finding good people who can actually carry them. Plus, well...the dome.

Bass 5 is heavy...