Talk to ma about

Barring exceptional circumstances, I personally think it is a huge mistake to take a year off from the DCA Championships, because you might accidentally put a corps into a lack-of-membership spiral that it may not recover from.

FYI, after nearly a three-year absence, I, and a number of others, rejoined the board of directors of the Renegades this weekend, and we are working very hard to get the corps on its feet financially right now. Truth be told, the corps is very much behind the ball right now .... however, this weekend, we not only more than doubled the size of the board with a lot of talented and hyping individuals who love the corps, but we also raised $10,000 by the end of Sunday, a big step towards climbing out of a deep financial hole. Moving forward, we are putting a business plan in place for the Renegades that will hopefully prevent it from being in this position ever again, similar to the business plan that I drafted for the Reading Buccaneers in 2004 (which, ironically enough, was based upon a lot of the strategies that we implemented with the Renegades in the early years).

For the record, at no time this weekend did we discuss the possibility of "not" coming to DCA (nor will we). Period at the end of that sentence.

The only time that the Renegades almost did not make it to DCA was 2006, the year we had two drummers in May ... we came about as close that I ever want to see the Renegades come to "not" making it out for DCA ... somehow, we not only got out to DCA, but we were able to get good enough by Labor Day to stay in Finals, which was a drum corps miracle in and of itself.

Lee

While this is good converstion, The thing that got me wondering was some corps do take time off and come back. This really isn't Renegades specific and I don't support one side more, I was just wondering about the positive benefits. Some good info though.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff,

I have respect for your knowledge and experience - I named 2 corps who survived by gutting it out... can you name the success stories who pulled off the field, came back and made it back up the hill?

I'm not looking for stories like the Brigs who left the field during the 60s and came back 40 years later - I mean took a year off, got it together and climbed back into the mix?

well, Westshore twice. Gold. Grennies. Cru a few times.

note, the corps you mentioned didnt storm back to the very top in a short time. It took a while for Hurcs to not only reload, but be a threat for the crown. Same for Bucs. Look at Westshore...didnt field in 73, took til 82 til they were a power. Round 2 took from 84 til 90. So, if you expect success overnight, forget it...it isn't going to happen.

well, Westshore twice. Gold. Grennies. Cru a few times.

note, the corps you mentioned didnt storm back to the very top in a short time. It took a while for Hurcs to not only reload, but be a threat for the crown. Same for Bucs. Look at Westshore...didnt field in 73, took til 82 til they were a power. Round 2 took from 84 til 90. So, if you expect success overnight, forget it...it isn't going to happen.

Good Examples - far more corps unfortunately simply cease to exist when they leave the field for "a year."

Plus the impact on the activity is fierce - wait 'til the revised DCA schedule comes out without Rochester and Brigs this year...

Brutal.

Edited by rayfallon

I named 2 corps who survived by gutting it out... can you name the success stories who pulled off the field, came back and made it back up the hill?

I'm not looking for stories like the Brigs who left the field during the 60s and came back 40 years later - I mean took a year off, got it together and climbed back into the mix?

Sunrisers took 1993 off, fielded again in '94, and climbed into finals (and then some) for the next five seasons.

As for attending DCA Championships every year, Minnesota Brass did not attend in 1988, though they did compete in the Midwest that year. They certainly made it back up the hill. Not saying I'd recommend that course of action....but there was one instance where it wasn't the kiss of death.

Sunrisers took 1993 off, fielded again in '94, and climbed into finals (and then some) for the next five seasons.

As for attending DCA Championships every year, Minnesota Brass did not attend in 1988, though they did compete in the Midwest that year. They certainly made it back up the hill. Not saying I'd recommend that course of action....but there was one instance where it wasn't the kiss of death.

So what I'm getting is, it happens. It's what you make of it. Did anyone mix up a marketing plan or membership push? We're you able to attend events that weren't possible before? Did the vets still participate? I'm asking because, I'd like to sit down with a corps that had to face this issue this year. It's not the Gades.

You know, now that I remember maybe there is someone who could answer this. Can corps own assets? I know there are liability issues but could a corps own vehicles, Real Estate and other valuable personal property? Would it have to be turned around and sold? Thanks. Has anyone read Bill Cooks book?

Of course they own assets. Horns, equipment, etc. Some own their own vehicles, some rent, some use pack mules and oxen with big wooden carts. And they also have insurance on this stuff. Ox insurance is pricey but it's available.

If a corps goes out existence, and it disposes of its assets, they can be sold or given to another nonprofit organization. Since the corps is a tax-exempt organization, its assets can't go for the benefit of individuals in the organization. But they can be sold or donated to another charity.

Taking a year off is NOT a good thing. Yes Cru did come back but only for a couple of years. How can they bring it back when you have Statesmen in this same city? Most of the guys that I marched with in early 00's went to Statesmen and are still there. My feeling is...go Class "A" If it's a financial thing, then fire the people who messed it up and get someone in there who can do the job right.

Of course they own assets. Horns, equipment, etc. Some own their own vehicles, some rent, some use pack mules and oxen with big wooden carts. And they also have insurance on this stuff. Ox insurance is pricey but it's available.

If a corps goes out existence, and it disposes of its assets, they can be sold or given to another nonprofit organization. Since the corps is a tax-exempt organization, its assets can't go for the benefit of individuals in the organization. But they can be sold or donated to another charity.

Lets' not forget some corps might still owe on the equipment they use. So the banks would be first in line on disposing those assets.

Weird thing is when Westshore went in active in 1974 and 1984, the corps still had the uniforms when they reformed. No idea on the instruments in 1974 but the 1984 stuff (including equipment truck) was sold to a West Coast Jr corps. LOL, one DCPer still wants his cooler back as he left it on the truck. :doh:

,................that is only when the assets, most likely tangible items (things you can touch), outweigh the liabilities, which are largely intangible,..............