What and Why, 27th Lancers?

I never thought that....but when you're at the top of the food chain and always go on last darn close, you don't have time to mingle much because retreat's coming up right after you finish the post-show meeting.

On a personal note...I had no problem talking with other corps members....ask any member of VK's 84 plate line about us chatting for so long after retreat that I was the LAST guy back into civvies after the Cheyenne show...caught hell for that, in fact (no one knew where I was!)

Yep, I was a member of that line and do recall that; but, I think that East versus West was on a lot of minds

(recall we had our 1st Eastern champion in 1983).

Plus we in the west we just more familiar with each other having travel together all of June and most of July.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Danny Boy. Enough said.

Who picked that 78 show? Thats what I call an oops.

That was my first year with 27th. A raw rookie who only knew about drum corps from my dad's VFW albums (he marched with St. Kevin's) and some local EMASS shows he took us to. The family aspect of the corps was the one thing that I'll always hold dear to my heart. When me and my brother joined we had zero experience. Yet, George Zingali immediately took a shine to us and kind of made us his proteges (sp?). We had a lead soprano teach us and he also played third soprano parts with us into the season until we were comfortable with the parts. Many other members (too many to name) helped us as much as possible to learn how to play and march without falling over ourselves. This is something you'll never see today. We were welcomed with open arms and in turn we gave them everything we had for allowing us to be part of the 27th Lancer family. We too were in the right place at the right time.

Thank you George and Patsy, George Zingali (may you all rest in peace) and all the Lancer family for being such a profound influence on my life.

Who picked that 78 show? Thats what I call an oops.

Oh come on, you mean you did not enjoy Celebrate. :thumbup: Wack-a-mole, wack-a-mole, duh-da-da-da-duh, repeat, repeat, repeat...

Thank you George and Patsy, George Zingali (may you all rest in peace) and all the Lancer family for being such a profound influence on my life.

Kevin, please tell me Solari was not that much of an influence...... :tongue:

I've seen a lot of posts talking about 1982... another of many GREAT 27th Lancer years... and 1980. But it was 1981 where they were really considered to be a real contender to win DCI. They dusted off "Crown Imperial March" and put it in full force off the line, much to the absolute delight of crowds everywhere who immediately jumped to their feet as 27th crossed the field. Madison Scouts, Blue Devils, SCV, Phantom Regiment and 27th Lancers were all vying for the championship that year. Madison took DCI Midwest just over Blue Devils, with 27th taking 5th place. The point spread from Madison to 27th at DCI Midwest that year was just a little over 3.5 points with Madison, BD, SCV, Phantom Regiment and 27th squeezed into that 3.5 points, so you can see that even back then the corps were very much at even talent and strength once on "cruise control". Everyone was there at DCI Midwest that year... all the same corps that would be at DCI finals.

27th was in the very first DCI Championship in 1972, and was already a very strong, winning corps prior to that. There was a classiness to them and a fantastic look in their Khaki's and British military uniforms. The guard was widely considered untouchable in strength and scoring. The drumline was top notch, and it was always kind of cool to see what uniform the drumline would be wearing each year... maybe a kilt and tartan, maybe the slacks. Maybe the "french fry basket" hat with the tassel, or maybe the aussie. It was very cool!

AND, the final element was to actually speak to a Lancer... one that was from the very deepest darkest parts of Boston or Revere, and try your best to understand just what the heck they were saying! :tongue: The Massachusetts accent is and was one of the most difficult in the USA to comprehend if you aren't ready for it or heard it a few times, and many of the Lancers had it. You knew they were just talking and it was all very normal to them, but you couldn't help be in awe of how cool it sounded... LOL! :worthy:

Kevin, please tell me Solari was not that much of an influence...... :worthy:

Jim,

Only when we raced from the South Shore to see who could get to rehearsal first (both of us had a full compliment of people). Although I wouldn't use the breakdown lane like Mr. Solari did. :tongue:

I've seen a lot of posts talking about 1982... another of many GREAT 27th Lancer years... and 1980. But it was 1981 where they were really considered to be a real contender to win DCI.

Respectfully, I think that winning Allentown the week before Finals and placing 2nd at Nationals make 1980 the year where they were really considered to be a real contender to win DCI. They were fabulous that year and really did just peak a week too early.

Allentown Finals was absolutely one of the best single performances I've ever seen from any drum corps ever.

Cheers!

Karen

Talk about a Super Corps. 27th, I believe, was the first alumni corps to really put on a routine. Here is the video of what they accomplished in Foxboro, MA during the 94 DCI Finals. Nothing short-changed about this. They worked hard for quite some time and the guard's pride was evident. Many single valve horns being used and yes, they used 27 snares. Enjoy.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=53...723053704824367

Edited by Ghost