2010 Retreat Compromise

Mingle in the parking lot.

The field belongs to the champion for their victory run.

If you want to mingle on the field after scores are announced then win.

It's easier after scores because it's well lit and everybody is in the same place.

The parking lot is dark and everybody is scattered.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Retreats now should be like those in the 80s. Each corps plays their "corps song" for the champions then leaves. What's the rush? Curfews? Age-outs leave your stuff on the field, mingle in the parking lot. BOA spectacle retreat at a drum corps finals = suck. Don't fix what wasn't broke.

I understand the costs of the venue, getting the corps out etc.. but find it hard to believe we couldn't afford to spend an extra 30 minutes to allow the corps one last moment to savor the season by playing off the field.

Can't imagine ANY drum corps fan wouldn't love to hear Madison sing "Never Walk" or SCV play "Clowns", or BC's "Autumn Leaves" to finish the season.

I understand the costs of the venue, getting the corps out etc.. but find it hard to believe we couldn't afford to spend an extra 30 minutes to allow the corps one last moment to savor the season by playing off the field.

Can't imagine ANY drum corps fan wouldn't love to hear Madison sing "Never Walk" or SCV play "Clowns", or BC's "Autumn Leaves" to finish the season.

But it was never 30 minutes. Largely because the corps failed to organize themselves promptly or appropriately, the process took hours. Even I who loved hearing the signature songs came to resent the wait that seemed eternal and, more important, nonsensical. The final image of drum corps was disorganized, even silly, for its failure to initiate something so simple: line up, count off, march off.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for each corps holding forth one last time. But it has to include the same sort of precision as the main show. After the winner is announced, the 12th place corps is already lined up and ready to play. As No. 12 marches out, 11th place has horn up and ready. And so on ...

One more thing. Madison singing instead of playing is self-indulgent. Singing is for the lot. Fans gets horns and drums.

HH

But it was never 30 minutes. Largely because the corps failed to organize themselves promptly or appropriately, the process took hours.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for each corps holding forth one last time. But it has to include the same sort of precision as the main show. After the winner is announced, the 12th place corps is already lined up and ready to play. As No. 12 marches out, 11th place has horn up and ready. And so on ...

HH

Maybe this is the way then--give everyone a set time to mingle a bit, then start giving each group 5 minute slots to get themselves together, play a song, and troop out. And if you miss your time because not enough of your corps got back together in time to do it, then you missed it and it's on to the next one.

Please no Hannah Montana or any other pop artists blaring during retreat! Whatever happened to the Marine Corps or some other corps drumline playing the corps on? All that bubblegum pop rock just brings the maturity of the activity down.

One more thing...all those cutesy little games during intermission (i.e. rotating around a bass drum mallet really fast and seeing who can make it to the big bass the fastest) don't belong at a drum corps show. They belong at a middle school band competition.