Will this bring DCI back to Orlando?

I loved going to DCI Championships in Orlando.

There was no problem finding a good hotel.

There was lots of non-drum corps things to do.

Lots of resturaunts

Two bad points:

Humidity

stadium wasn't very close to restaurants ( But they did have the bar b que guy at the stadium.)

Cool. Agree from the fan perspective. From the corps perspective, there are many detractors that have been named already, so they do not need to be repeated.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe not, but I'm going to anyway:

1) Corps housing is very difficult to get together. Schools down there are gearing up to start during finals week, so they'er not exactly keen on hosting a big group of kids to clean up after right before classes start.

2) Even if you get housing, there may or may not be a reasonable field near it.

3) It's out of the way for everyone. Maybe that's a plus if your attitude is "it isn't fair to x corps because they don't have to go as far for finals as we do" but in general, I'd call it a minus.

The weather's another one, but I'd call it minor in comparison to the significant logistical problems Orlando poses.

I think there's some confusion in this thread. Some folks are suggesting "DCI coming back to Orlando" means finals week. Clearly, that's not happening anytime soon. Others, myself included, favor a major regional in Orlando.

In my case, I'd suggest moving the Orlando show to UCF's amazing new Brighthouse Stadium. But even if there's no venue change, a regional on turf in the Citrus Bowl would still be great. Even with the show being made standstills due to rain in 2009, there was a huge, and very enthusiastic crowd on hand.

you just gave my reason that much more of a REASON not to....

2 out of all DIV1 et all....??

The odds DONT look good !

I do believe that two is more than most other states... more than Georgia, why don't we cancel the Atlanta regional? More than Texas, let's cancel San Antonio, hell, more than Pennsylvania, let's cancel Allentown!

There should be a show in New Orleans.

Ok,

the dome ? NO GOD NOOOO nooooooo noooooooo

Tad Gormely ? No, the soccer field screwed that one up

West Jeff ? Ummm not with the west bank expressway right there

East Jeff ? Not enough parking

Chalmette ? Too small

The ones in Slidell are too small

So whats left, Pan Am or Bertelino ? :tongue:

What am I missing ?

I've always thought SLU's stadium would be a nice small stadium for drum corps and easy to get top from all over the area

I do believe that two is more than most other states... more than Georgia, why don't we cancel the Atlanta regional? More than Texas, let's cancel San Antonio, hell, more than Pennsylvania, let's cancel Allentown!

well..its apparent that you've got some personal interest in Orlando. Good for you...

Not good for drum corps as a whole.... The impression I understood from the get go on this

topic was for a championship being held there.... For that reason, I STILL stand on my ground..

Now, if you want a regional... fine.. have one.. Im sure that there'll be a few Div 2 and 3 corps

that would like to play in a big stadium like the Citrus Bowl.. BUT for a DCI FINAL......

NO WAY ..... NO HOW !!!!!

have a good day

Ok,

the dome ? NO GOD NOOOO nooooooo noooooooo

Tad Gormely ? No, the soccer field screwed that one up

West Jeff ? Ummm not with the west bank expressway right there

East Jeff ? Not enough parking

Chalmette ? Too small

The ones in Slidell are too small

So whats left, Pan Am or Bertelino ? :tongue:

What am I missing ?

I've always thought SLU's stadium would be a nice small stadium for drum corps and easy to get top from all over the area

How about going back to LSU in Baton Rouge? :tongue:

And if that doesn't work, there's always Shrevepit. :w00t:

But if you want a more realistic option, Guidry Stadium in Thibodaux (just a few bayous south of N'awlins) might do:

3718287352_22f2b9eb00.jpg

It's not that hot in Florida......
One year when I was teaching the southern leg of the tour went through Florida. We were in Ft. Lauderdale and one afternoon the temperature got up around 112o or something like that. We told the kids to stay inside and work on their dot books.

Fred O.