Will this bring DCI back to Orlando?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5081115

New Citrus Bowl turf part of renovation

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The much-maligned grass field at the Citrus Bowl will be replaced with artificial turf in time for next year's game.

The Citrus Bowl's grass field fell apart during the Jan. 1 game between Penn State and LSU.

The Orlando city council gave a "top-bidder ranking" to Turner Construction on Monday, the Orlando Sentinel reported. Once a final contract is awarded, the newspaper said, a $10 million "mini-renovation" will begin. The $1 million new field is part of that process.

"We'll never be confronted by the problem we had at the Capital One Bowl," Orlando mayor Buddy Dyer said, according to the Sentinel.

Last year, the grass field disintegrated due to extensive use and rain -- especially for the New Year's Day Citrus Bowl, which is nationally televised. Chunks of sod were loosened during Penn State's 19-17 win over LSU. During the Champs Sports Bowl a week earlier, Miami Hurricanes running back Graig Cooper injured his right knee without being touched.

The field is also used for state championship high school football games

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under the impression that the heat was a bigger problem than the field. See also Mississippi.

It's not that hot in Florida......it's freaking HUMID! The daily afternoon rainshowers also complicate things a tad. New fieldturf is usually pretty good with drainage so I wouldn't anticipate a 3 hour delay waiting on the drops to stop in the future.

From a geographical point of view... WHY have all the remaining drum corps out there go and

trek down to one "out of the place" area of the US, making it harder for ALL of us to view...... I say

keep it in the middle of the country... Madison/KansasCity/Denver...

Ahhh, Drums in the Slums.

4 hours in. 4 hours out. Crappy housing. Crappy weather. Crappy stadium. Crappy neighborhood.

I lived in Central Florida for 10 years and aged out there. If drum corps never went back to Orlando, I'd be ok with it.

From a geographical point of view... WHY have all the remaining drum corps out there go and

trek down to one "out of the place" area of the US, making it harder for ALL of us to view...... I say

keep it in the middle of the country... Madison/KansasCity/Denver...

Because two large DCI corps have their camps in Florida and their families/friends would like to see them perform?

Because two large DCI corps

you just gave my reason that much more of a REASON not to....

2 out of all DIV1 et all....??

The odds DONT look good !