What can we do to improve our corps'?

dca has no control of exhibition corps... that is strictly a sponsor's preogative

Thanks Tom, kind of a no-brainer question but this is the first time I've seen it in print.... errr.... in writing on the screen.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 35 minimum member rule is just one of a number of rules designed to help the DCA determine if a new or returning corps meets the standards set forth by the voting member corps in order to participate in the DCA circuit.

Other rules thsat were proposed and passed state that a corps must have its 501C3 status set up or filed with the IRS, Liability Insurance must be in order, Music permissions must be completed and any fees to DCA must be payed before participation in the circuit is allowed.

Once these criteria are met, A DCA official visits the corps for final approval. The membesrhip are counted and the financials are inspected before final approval is granted.

EVERY associate corps and finalist corps must adhere to these same rules each and every year, From the last place corps in prelims to the Champion, We are all equal when it comes to these rules.These are the standards we adopted.

After many years of dealing with corps that never materialized past a business card or showed up to shows with less than a dozen members, the voting member corps and executive board felt it was time to adapt rules and standards in order to participate in the DCA.

These rules that were adapted are fair and helps prove that an organization trying to participate in the DCA is viable from an organizational standpoint.

Please note....

It takes the executive board of DCA a GREAT deal of time operating the circuit and working for the corps, Mostly for a very small stipend AND after they worked a full day at their real jobs.It gets a little "old" dealing with groups that have no real organization behind the name. Many times just the mention of a "fee" scares them away, And its not a large fee in the grand scheme of things.

The first draft of the minimum size of a DCA corps was for a 40 member minimum. After a lengthy conversation that included many class A corps, The number 35 was selected and voted on.

For the record, The minimum size rule was proposed by the Bushwackers. I wrote the proposal personally.

Jay

Bush

Thank you for your informative post, Jay.

In response to the thread title, "what can we do to improve our corps", here are a number of answers all at once. And not just the evaluation standards themselves....but communicating the intent behind them as Jay has, so that a wider audience understands the rationale. Insight like this is what facilitates the development of fledgling groups from "seven people and a ham sandwich" to 35-plus people and a DCA-competing corps.

I agree with a minimum rule, but not so confident in the number 35. Mini-corps maxes out at 22(with drum major I think?) and then that spread from 22-35 is a good size jump for a small corps.

Two ways I would solve this (my opinion):

1. Lower the class A requirement to 30. Its not as much of a jump, and still ensures that the corps has enough bodies to have a potential to put out a good sound.

2. (I like this one better but its probably an unrealistic goal) DCA should create a THIRD CLASS. Having a range from lets say 25(28? 30?-55). Then have a class from 56 to 90(ish), that way the current smaller open class corps or class A's looking to move up dont have the numbers disadvantage (as much). Then have 90-150 (I believe thats current open class limit). I could be easily persuaded to change the numbers but its generally an idea.

One thing that this made me think of is what happened with at least the NY marching band circuit. (STOP READING NOW IF YOU WILL BE OFFENDED BY ANYTHING THAT COULD BE SAID ABOUT HIGH SCHOOL MARCHING BANDS) I have discussed with multiple directors and the general consensus as to why so many classes formed is that bands were tired of losing. More classes equals more winners. I dont think this applies to my DCA model because the model was designed to help the longevity of the programs.

Thoughts? Ideas? threats? .... bribes? :tongue:

ok...so 30 gets passed...and a corps is stuck at 29. there is no win win situation.It goes back to a lot of discussion we've had with Shadow on here....if you can't get 35 people, then really, your corps needs to do more work to get membership and get the organization going forward.

because if you change it to 30, someone will cry "why not 25". You can't please people all of the time, so you have to make a rule and stick to it, and I think 35 is the way to go. If you can't get that many people, then you need to refocus on how to make your organization sound

Jeff's correct- it'd be a slipperly slope. A line had to be drawn. Really, a 35 member corps is stretching everything very tight and thin in terms of what it can provide, espcially if you're performing in something other than a small, low High School field.

The previous comment about the band activity having more classes to provide more winners is quite correct regardless of circuit. Most circuits have done things over the last few years to allow different bands of different expereince levels, sizes, and capabilities chances to have at it in playing fields that are more or less level. particularly those of different experience levels to develop and grow and hopefully move up into the main divisions.

I think that's been around in one way or another in some way, shape or form in the Corps activity as well, just not as perhaps defined, and certainly not with an ostensible purpose of "creating more winners" anywhere like the band activity.

part of it is that some Band people have to justify their programs to Parents and Administration and they see things in black and white. "First Place Class 5.3 A" will shut up the Principal breathing down your neck instead of being "Eighth Place, Class 5" on Champiohship weekend, even though in both cases, the same band was the 8th best out of Class 5 out of the 20 in their circuit.

I'd like to think Corps people in general are tougher and more understanding of what it takes and where they stand than having to play numerical shell games to convince people of the validity of what they're doing. :tongue:

really anything more than Open and A class dilutes the product. it's good where it's at

OK !!!

Here is an ANSWER.

My "One Person Rule"

Raise Mini Corps to -------------- 29

Lower Field Corps to ------------- 30

Either find, "ONE" person, to at least stand somewhere on the field with, a pretty colored flag/a tamborine, or something, to "Compete".

--- or go "MINI".

I think Most groups can tell by March or April, Which area would be best for themselves one way or the other by then.

Everyone IN, no space between (21 and 35) left out.

I think a much more viable solution would be to leave the 35-member limit where it is, and raise Mini Corps to a max of 30 members. This accomplishes several things.

1. Gives corps a 5-member buffer, a more realistic goal than the 13 it is now. It's easier to go from 30 to 35+ than it is from 22 to 35+.

2. Allows mini corps more flexibility, and allows them to do a lot more, or for the potential to do a lot more. Having a max of 30 members would allow groups with more folks to use them, especially when performing in a larger setting (like a gym using a floor and props). When they scale back for DCA Championships (assuming DCA rules for minis stay the same, minus the max number) they won't have to drop folks to get to 22.

OK !!!

Here is an ANSWER.

My "One Person Rule"

Raise Mini Corps to -------------- 29

Lower Field Corps to ------------- 30

Either find, "ONE" person, to at least stand somewhere on the field with, a pretty colored flag/a tamborine, or something, to "Compete".

--- or go "MINI".

I think Most groups can tell by March or April, Which area would be best for themselves one way or the other by then.

Everyone IN, no space between (21 and 35) left out.

flag on the play. illegal use of logic and reason, used many times on here before and ignored.

15 yards, loss of spot in Rochester :tongue:

Raise minicorps to 25, if they have a movement criteria,25-35 exhibition class.No share points,no score but maybe a GE type read of the show to give groups some pointers.Show sponsors encouraged to invite new groups.36+ competes.