What can we do to improve our corps'?

that is incorrect

Then what is correct? Info I've received was from a show sponsor so what's the rebuttal?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is incorrect

Please do tell then. That is the way I recalled it being stated here at the time.

The 35 minimum member rule is just one of a number of rules designed to help the DCA determine if a new or returning corps meets the standards set forth by the voting member corps in order to participate in the DCA circuit.

Other rules thsat were proposed and passed state that a corps must have its 501C3 status set up or filed with the IRS, Liability Insurance must be in order, Music permissions must be completed and any fees to DCA must be payed before participation in the circuit is allowed.

Once these criteria are met, A DCA official visits the corps for final approval. The membesrhip are counted and the financials are inspected before final approval is granted.

EVERY associate corps and finalist corps must adhere to these same rules each and every year, From the last place corps in prelims to the Champion, We are all equal when it comes to these rules.These are the standards we adopted.

After many years of dealing with corps that never materialized past a business card or showed up to shows with less than a dozen members, the voting member corps and executive board felt it was time to adapt rules and standards in order to participate in the DCA.

These rules that were adapted are fair and helps prove that an organization trying to participate in the DCA is viable from an organizational standpoint.

Please note....

It takes the executive board of DCA a GREAT deal of time operating the circuit and working for the corps, Mostly for a very small stipend AND after they worked a full day at their real jobs.It gets a little "old" dealing with groups that have no real organization behind the name. Many times just the mention of a "fee" scares them away, And its not a large fee in the grand scheme of things.

The first draft of the minimum size of a DCA corps was for a 40 member minimum. After a lengthy conversation that included many class A corps, The number 35 was selected and voted on.

For the record, The minimum size rule was proposed by the Bushwackers. I wrote the proposal personally.

Jay

Bush

The 35 minimum member rule is just one of a number of rules designed to help the DCA determine if a new or returning corps meets the standards set forth by the voting member corps in order to participate in the DCA circuit.

\

I think this was a major mistake for DCA. If you don't want a corps at a DCA show,,,Don't invite them. Simple as that.

History will show this was a bad idea when there are only a handful of corps left.

This is my personal opinion and I stand behind it.

The 35 minimum member rule is just one of a number of rules designed to help the DCA determine if a new or returning corps meets the standards set forth by the voting member corps in order to participate in the DCA circuit....

The minimum size rule was proposed by the Bushwackers. I wrote the proposal personally.

Jay

Bush

Bravo.

I don't mean to be negative, but really. If a corps wants to compete on the field but can't get 35 people together then maybe they should think about doing something else. Seriously.

I don't care if you come from a town of only 10,000 people. 35 members is a pretty low benchmark as it is. If you can't convince 35 people that your activity is worth doing then you probably shouldn't be doing it at all.

Edited by Ron H

Bravo.

I don't mean to be negative, but really. If a corps wants to compete on the field but can't get 35 people together then maybe they should think about doing something else. Seriously.

I don't care if you come from a town of only 10,000 people. 35 members is a pretty low benchmark as it is. If you can't convince 35 people that your activity is worth doing then you probably shouldn't be doing it at all.

not negative at all,........................you are right on!

I dont agree with you on that point tho, Ive seen many parade type all-age corps that were VERY good with 30 or so

members having a great and rewarding time doing "corps".

The DCA wanted a benchmark and the 35 minimum is that benchmark.

Other rules thsat were proposed and passed state that a corps must have its 501C3 status set up or filed with the IRS, Liability Insurance must be in order, Music permissions must be completed and any fees to DCA must be payed before participation in the circuit is allowed.

Once these criteria are met, A DCA official visits the corps for final approval. The membesrhip are counted and the financials are inspected before final approval is granted.

EVERY associate corps and finalist corps must adhere to these same rules each and every year, From the last place corps in prelims to the Champion, We are all equal when it comes to these rules.These are the standards we adopted.

After many years of dealing with corps that never materialized past a business card or showed up to shows with less than a dozen members, the voting member corps and executive board felt it was time to adapt rules and standards in order to participate in the DCA.

These rules that were adapted are fair and helps prove that an organization trying to participate in the DCA is viable from an organizational standpoint.

Please note....

It takes the executive board of DCA a GREAT deal of time operating the circuit and working for the corps, Mostly for a very small stipend AND after they worked a full day at their real jobs.It gets a little "old" dealing with groups that have no real organization behind the name. Many times just the mention of a "fee" scares them away, And its not a large fee in the grand scheme of things.

The first draft of the minimum size of a DCA corps was for a 40 member minimum. After a lengthy conversation that included many class A corps, The number 35 was selected and voted on.

For the record, The minimum size rule was proposed by the Bushwackers. I wrote the proposal personally.

Jay

Bush

interesting. Not that I totally disagree, but it was stated here many times by people "in the know" that show sponsors raised the stink.

Granted I agree too many corps showed up with few members, and were beyond unorganized both on and off the field.

I wanted to thank Jay for being so kind to explain all of it for us. Now- it makes perfect sense. You need a good, competent business model, you need to show you're not some kind of fly-by-night Svengali/Rasputin type of operator (we've had enough of those- they seriously arouse my ire- let's leave it at that!), and really, when I thought of it at work, let's look at what you can do with 35 people from your 10,000 person burg.

Let's say... a nice guard of 8 people. (Most would hope for half this, I'd guess...)

20 horns- 2-4 Contra/4-6 Bari/4-6 Mello/ 8 Tpt/Sop... I think that's a reasonable little horn line that would be agile and capable, IF they all listen, do not overextend and try to be superheroes, and the arrangements fit the individuals like gloves)

Leaving say... a front percussion ensemble of 7 to handle all that would entail. I know that no amount of Strohs and fast-talk or money will convince Jeff to carry a triple Bass rig and run like a madman/beast in my corps while playing it, even a hypothetical one. :tongue: I'm not a percussion expert, but I'd think seven could cover necessary percussive duties. If not, I'll trade you one or two horns. Would that help?

You could do some very creative and exciting things with a small unit like this, but it would also rely on a very well-trained group that understood their individual responsibilities and busted their humps to make it happen to carry this off. A smaller group would really be stretched to make something happen on a meaningful level outdoors. I'm buying into things now, thanks to hearing some clear explanations from thoughtful people and having some time to think carefully about it. :blink:

, and were beyond unorganized both on and off the field.

BINGO

Granted, A few show sponsors had some concerns with a few corps, But it was the voting member corps and executive board that thought it was time to set standards for corps that wanted to participate in the DCA.

Lets not forget, In dealing with rules that deal with participation in the DCA,we have only ONE rule in the "competitive" column (size), The rest of these rules are all having to do with the organization itself.

These rules were put in place to HELP corps, not hurt corps.

Anyone can have an all-age corps and prosper as an organization, all DCA is saying, in order to participate in the DCA circuit, You will need a minimum of 35 members

Pretty simple

Edited by HBD