Has the view of 'Senior' Corps changed lately in DCI?

If i lived closer to minnesota, i'd march MBI.

There are definitely different types of all-age corps though, and some live up to the old stereotypes more than others.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I marched DCA top 10 and DCI top 10.

both were a ton of fun. DCA got me to DCI, then i went back to DCA to give back.

Best part of DCA for me was that some of the same people are there for 20+ years. When I go back i get hugs. If I showed up to a scouts camp (7 years later now) I'm pretty sure no one whould know me

How do you view DCA? Do you have the image in your head of 40+ year old guys holding up a horn, while having a cigerette or adult beverage in the other hand? Marching only about 7-8 sets per song and mostly standing still? Playing on old 2 valve G Bugles?

OR has DCA's image improved lately with the huge numbers of people starting off in DCA and then going to DCI changed things?

Flame suit zipped up....

When I marched in a World Class corps in the late 90's, DCA was seen as one of two things: a "training" ground for members without the time/talent to march in a world class corps or a place for old people to try to relive their past (or never achieved) glory. I saw the All-Age activity at best as having a few of the corps at the top of their circuit as being kind of an old-folks type wanna-be mirror of a Top 6 junior corps, and at worst a bunch of old-timers having a place to talk about the good ol' days, drink some beers and hack through a ten minute show on the field. As a junior-aged member, I always thought that if you want to experience junior corps, you have to march junior corps, and by the time I aged-out I knew that I was done with corps from a marching member stand point and had not desire to do it again. I got married about four months after aging-out, began teaching, and had no inkling of wanting to march a senior corps.

To be honest, my opinions of the activity haven't changed too much. I think there are some good organizations that are putting out a good product, there is obviously talent on the field, and ALL of the corps offer a great service. If you're someone who wants to march corps, no matter what age or talent level there is probably a place for you somewhere.

But I still think that DCA is no where near the level of the Top 6 DCI corps as far as talent level and show design. Obviously there are plenty of logistical reasons why this is the case, but DCA pales in comparison to DCI IMO. I see DCA as the older-persons attempt to recreate drum corps, and in that regard it has little difference to some HS marching bands (I KNOW I'm getting killed for that one).

I think that DCA obviously has a need in our activity, and it's a great outlet for members who want to march past junior age, or a place for younger members not ready for a World Class (or Open Class) experience due to financial, time commitment, or talent reasons. But at the end of the day, I see it kind of like AAA baseball: it's entertaining, there's talent, and it makes for a fun day at the ballpark but it is no where close to MLB.

Personally, as I said, I have a lot going on with my family and teaching and have zero desire to march in a DCA corps at this time. Perhaps that will change, but for the foreseeable future I'm not (and have never been) interested in marching DCA. It does continue to evolve, just like DCI, and I think recently it has done more and more to blur the lines between the two sub-genres of drum corps (whether or not that's a good thing is up for another discussion).

No way in #### should DCA be compared to HS marching bands.

Edited by Kyle B

Flame suit zipped up....

When I marched in a World Class corps in the late 90's, DCA was seen as one of two things: a "training" ground for members without the time/talent to march in a world class corps or a place for old people to try to relive their past (or never achieved) glory. I saw the All-Age activity at best as having a few of the corps at the top of their circuit as being kind of an old-folks type wanna-be mirror of a Top 6 junior corps, and at worst a bunch of old-timers having a place to talk about the good ol' days, drink some beers and hack through a ten minute show on the field. As a junior-aged member, I always thought that if you want to experience junior corps, you have to march junior corps, and by the time I aged-out I knew that I was done with corps from a marching member stand point and had not desire to do it again. I got married about four months after aging-out, began teaching, and had no inkling of wanting to march a senior corps.

To be honest, my opinions of the activity haven't changed too much. I think there are some good organizations that are putting out a good product, there is obviously talent on the field, and ALL of the corps offer a great service. If you're someone who wants to march corps, no matter what age or talent level there is probably a place for you somewhere.

But I still think that DCA is no where near the level of the Top 6 DCI corps as far as talent level and show design. Obviously there are plenty of logistical reasons why this is the case, but DCA pales in comparison to DCI IMO. I see DCA as the older-persons attempt to recreate drum corps, and in that regard it has little difference to some HS marching bands (I KNOW I'm getting killed for that one).

I think that DCA obviously has a need in our activity, and it's a great outlet for members who want to march past junior age, or a place for younger members not ready for a World Class (or Open Class) experience due to financial, time commitment, or talent reasons. But at the end of the day, I see it kind of like AAA baseball: it's entertaining, there's talent, and it makes for a fun day at the ballpark but it is no where close to MLB.

Personally, as I said, I have a lot going on with my family and teaching and have zero desire to march in a DCA corps at this time. Perhaps that will change, but for the foreseeable future I'm not (and have never been) interested in marching DCA. It does continue to evolve, just like DCI, and I think recently it has done more and more to blur the lines between the two sub-genres of drum corps (whether or not that's a good thing is up for another discussion).

"I see DCA as the older-persons attempt to recreate drum corps"

I just thought I'd point out that I believe, (don't quote me on it) that DCA was founded before DCI was.

Also, about talent level. I think physically DCI has the advantage, but if you gave a DCA corps the time that DCI corps use, I think the DCA corps would end up as being the better corps. Maybe not visually, but musically. Most of the DCA members have already marched DCI or have had way more experience than DCI members. My point is, compare each DCA musician to DCI musicians....in the end, DCA will have better players. It's because they've been playing for years...

:tongue:

No way in #### should DCA be compared to HS marching bands.

I completely agree.

If anything, DCI should be. HS shows are usually watered down DCI shows.

My DCA drill was harder than my DCI drill, but based on our visual scores....that wasn't surprising.

My favorite year marching wasn't D1 or Senior....it was when I marched D3. I had a blast that summer and wouldn't trade our high 20 scores for the world.

Ditto.

Look, I guess it's a well deserved comment because I asked for honesty.

I didn't start this topic to get into a ####### contest about who is better or worse and why.

I just want to know people's honest opinions, and I say both sides (DCA and DCI) not take the 'well I'm better than you' approach to discussing issues.

As a person who has followed DCI for a long time, and been in the DCA circuit, I can tell you that DCI corps (Top 12) will always be better then DCA, and that reason is Time. So now that we can agree to that, I just want to know what people's thoughts about DCA is and would you ever think about marching based on your prior knowledge.

IF you could, could you please post if you have ever been to a DCA contest. This is just stuff I'm interested in.

Please DON'T turn this into a war.

Thank you.

There shouldn't be any need for a Flame Suit. You stated your opinion, nothing wrong with that.

The only thing in your post that made me scratch my head was this:

I see DCA as the older-persons attempt to recreate drum corps,

Another drum corps does not "recreate" drum corps unless maybe it's a tribute show or something. Just different corps with different flavors and styles. I like vanilla ice cream. But the world would suck if all you had was one flavor. DCI, DCA, SDCA, XYZ, who cares. As long as they entertain and provide a good member experience they are successful. If you fail in either you won't be around long.

Edit: Oh and I forgot my "view of 'Senior' Corps". From what I have been exposed too, mostly early season stuff due to location, visual is not nearly as ambitious but the musicianship is usually on par. And screaming solos seem to have gone out of style in DCI but still rocking in DCA. I was a Sop. I like screaming solos. :tongue:

Edited by WWonka