Has the view of 'Senior' Corps changed lately in DCI?

"I see DCA as the older-persons attempt to recreate drum corps"

I just thought I'd point out that I believe, (don't quote me on it) that DCA was founded before DCI was.

Also, about talent level. I think physically DCI has the advantage, but if you gave a DCA corps the time that DCI corps use, I think the DCA corps would end up as being the better corps. Maybe not visually, but musically. Most of the DCA members have already marched DCI or have had way more experience than DCI members. My point is, compare each DCA musician to DCI musicians....in the end, DCA will have better players. It's because they've been playing for years...

:tongue:

What I meant to say was "I see DCA as the older-persons attempt to recreate JUNIOR drum corps." And I did mean that from a show design stand point.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF you could, could you please post if you have ever been to a DCA contest. This is just stuff I'm interested in.

I have been to a DCA show once, several years ago. It honestly did nothing for me, but I was of DCI marching age and much more interested in DCI corps. I haven't been to a DCA show since aging-out over ten years ago, but I have seen videos of shows. Good stuff going on in DCA to be sure, but not enough to get me to spend money to go to a show. I don't go to a lot of DCI shows either, for what it's worth, though I do subscribe to the DCI Fan Network and watch the weekly live streamed shows.

There shouldn't be any need for a Flame Suit. You stated your opinion, nothing wrong with that.

The only thing in your post that made me scratch my head was this:

Another drum corps does not "recreate" drum corps unless maybe it's a tribute show or something. Just different corps with different flavors and styles. I like vanilla ice cream. But the world would suck if all you had was one flavor. DCI, DCA, SDCA, XYZ, who cares. As long as they entertain and provide a good member experience they are successful. If you fail in either you won't be around long.

Edit: Oh and I forgot my "view of 'Senior' Corps". From what I have been exposed too, mostly early season stuff due to location, visual is not nearly as ambitious but the musicianship is usually on par. And screaming solos seem to have gone out of style in DCI but still rocking in DCA. I was a Sop. I like screaming solos. :tongue:

I agree, and what I meant to type was "I see DCA as the older-persons attempt to recreate JUNIOR drum corps." And I did mean that from a show design stand point.

I agree that the screaming solos is something a lot of fans want, and it's great that still thrives in DCA shows. I used to think that was the end-all/be-all of awesome brass playing, and I still love to hear a good screaming sop solo (played with power, in tune, with good intonation).

What I meant to say was "I see DCA as the older-persons attempt to recreate JUNIOR drum corps." And I did mean that from a show design stand point.

I see what you mean. Like the 2010 Bucs re-doing '91 Star's show?

I was a junior corps instructor for 13 years and the weekend after DCI finals in 2006 I had the opportunity to spend a weekend working with a senior corps at some shows up in Minnesotta. I had no idea what to expect, as the corps I was working with had individuals of junior corps age on up. I'll tell you, those individuals in that corps were extremely attentive and a great passion for thier show, thier corps, and eachother. Although I only worked with that corps for the weekend as a guest instructor, I recieved more "thank yous" than I did during my finals two years ('06 and '07) on staff with the junior corps I was a part of.

In my opinion, I think DCA corps rank right up there with DCI corps.

Edited by shortn'sour

I see what you mean. Like the 2010 Bucs re-doing '91 Star's show?

except it isnt a rehash of Star 91...look at the tunes list.

both have their plusses and minuses, and I love both. I do think DCA does a better job of programming to the fans, and I think DCA administration does a great job communicating with the fan base and listening to their needs and wants, tho DCI has shown signs the last few months they are turning a corner.

WhereI think DCA has the edge is the passion because people stay involved for so long, and the brand awareness and loyalty they have built up with the members and fans, as well as how they embrace the past.

Can a DCA corps beat a DCI corps? Not with the current schedules both operate under. But they both have great things going

Not sure this is thread is going to get your guestion answered. People posting on here are saying they marched junior corps 10 years ago and thought DCA was such and such. DCA has changed VERY much in the last few years. The only way you will get your question answered is to ask age-outs from about the last 3 years. Any opionions from people who marched 5+ years ago will be out of date opionions.

Can a DCA corps beat a DCI corps? Not with the current schedules both operate under. But they both have great things going

I believe that Minnesota Brass and the Reading Bucs could very well contend will the corps that dont make it past DCI quarter finals. No offense intended to those corps.

Also someone said that top DCA corps are no where near top DCI corps...DUH. DCA practices on weekends (and not all weekends) and yes there are older folks in those corps who cant take the visual demand a DCI corps has which will limit the extend of some DCA corps visual programs.

So off of my last statement comparing DCI to DCA is inaccurate. They are 2 separate orginizations, not meant to bash one another, who are around for the same reasons.

No idea if that's true or not since I don't follow DCI shows anymore. And I wasn't following any corps 10 years ago so no idea what was going on then. But depending on what corps you see can leave very different impressions on what one thinks Sr/All Age corps is all about. I'd guess that All-Ages vary between themselves more than DCI corps vary.