My collection continues to grow : )

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They made that tee shirt in yellow lettering on a red shirt (the one you are wearing), and red lettering on a yellow shirt. It is indeed a classic. The screw indicates that most of the Corps at the time felt they were constantly getting screwed at contests throughout the 1960 season (who really knows). Last time that type of shirt was at our Greenwood Lake weekend rehearsal in 1965. Be careful when you wear it, it just might fall apart on you. :tongue: Who gave that shirt to Tommy Martin? He wasn't in the Skyliners in 1960. To the best of my recollection he only marched one season, 1963. Was with him this past weekend at Archie's Brass Reunion. Maybe he'll be at the GAS Reunion. If he is I'll mention that shirt to him. I'll probably see Swan there as well.

Where are you stationed right now?

I was honorably medically discharged this past January and now live in Birmingham, AL. Reason being is the economy sucks everywhere, but sucks a little less down here for the time being. I am living with my future in-laws so I can attend School. I got the shirt from Jim Dinkins. He plays in the celtic pipe and drum corps down here that I play in. He was talking to Winky and Bucky when he claims that Tommy Martin gave him this shirt. Of course he could have meant Tommy Swan but got confused in the names when he gave it to me. But all in all he got it from a Skyliner back in that time and seeing as how I myself am a Skyliner and take great pride in being one, he thought it fitting that I have it.

Now Tom, this is simply not true ... it was not a REAL LIVE rabbit that got beheaded prior to us taking the field ... even your buddy Don knows this ... Phil Perry (RIP) walked around all day with a live bunny dressed in a black cape - ala Crusader Rabbit ... just prior to us entering the field that night he switched it with a stuffed toy rabbit, complete with the same cape ... that is the little FAKE critter that met its doom under the goal post, not the 50 yard line ... and then the corps stomped the stuffing out of it as they marched onto the starting line in between the drumline who formed a gate for them to pass through ... so ... to put the fokelore to rest, the REAL rabbit lived to see many a future Easter Sunday ...

Andy "I was there and part of the non-killing of the non-rabbit" Lisko

I know about the rabbit thing, I was wondering where the Crusader rabbit thing came from? I have my ideas, but tell me it is from your perspective.

Eddie "inquiring minds want to know" Reese

I know about the rabbit thing, I was wondering where the Crusader rabbit thing came from? I have my ideas, but tell me it is from your perspective.

Eddie "inquiring minds want to know" Reese

Long ago in a galaxy far away, there was this cartoon character called "Crusader Rabbit". It used to air on TV on Saturday mornings and, as kids, our parents used to use the TV as a babysitter. So on Saturday mornings they would sit us in front of the TV, put Crusader Rabbit on and go back to bed. So naturally when the Rochester "Fabulous" Crusaders came along with Allen Smythe as your DM and that Caper of his, they got the nickname "Crusader Rabbit" 'cause he wore a caper too (and rode a horse as well).

And that is the "Legend of Crusader Rabbit". :thumbup:

Edited by NYSkyliner

Long ago in a galaxy far away, there was this cartoon character called "Crusader Rabbit". It used to air on TV on Saturday mornings and, as kids, our parents used to use the TV as a babysitter. So on Saturday mornings they would sit us in front of the TV, put Crusader Rabbit on and go back to bed. So naturally when the Rochester "Fabulous" Crusaders came along with Allen Smythe as your DM and that Caper of his, they got the nickname "Crusader Rabbit" 'cause he wore a caper too (and rode a horse as well).

i'm sure that's why sky used it in 72 but it goes back to the late 50's early 60's. we were called the crusder rabbit's back then. now i'm sure alan smythe and his black cape resurected that. and mike i thought it was hilarious at the grand prix. everytime i think about it i begin to laugh. oh an alan's uni was his own. he had it made and paid for it himself. so blame him for the resurection......... :ph34r:

which is interesting because Crusader Rabbit was NOT popular in Rochester and at the time, most of us had to have it explained to us... but it goes back to as early as 1961.... I can remember that often during the 60's when we arrived a corps might be tempted to get off the bus and start a "bunny hop" line that was popular at the time - something you did at every wedding...

I even remember once this happened and wanting to avoid any confrontation, Vince held us all on the bus and went out alone and jumped on the end of the line doing the bunny hop himself... through the shock of it, the situation was completely difused... Vince Bruni was a genius at that stuff... only in Clifton in 1972 - the only time I ever saw him lose his cool - when he clearly said "enough is enough" and led us into the parking lot did I ever see him lose his diplomat personna.

i'm sure that's why sky used it in 72 but it goes back to the late 50's early 60's. we were called the crusder rabbit's back then. now i'm sure alan smythe and his black cape resurected that. and mike i thought it was hilarious at the grand prix. everytime i think about it i begin to laugh. oh an alan's uni was his own. he had it made and paid for it himself. so blame him for the resurection......... :thumbup:
Don and Tom,

The Crusader Rabbit cartoons were popular in the southern tier of NY back in the 50' & 60's. That might be why you got the nickname back then. I remember Allen as a very flashy DM with a lot of panache. One of the original showman (along with Wally Curtis of the Princemen). He's the first DM that I know who would prvide his own uni. Fred Gebhart did the samething wit the Skyliners in 1976. And, on a personal note, I wasn't at the '72 Clifton show. All I heard were stories (and I mean a LOT of stories) about the incident. But I DO and DID know that it wasn't a real rabbit. Wink (and I think Chuck Johnson) told me all about it. Tom, did Vince think it was a real rabbit?

Edited by NYSkyliner

which is interesting because Crusader Rabbit was NOT popular in Rochester and at the time, most of us had to have it explained to us... but it goes back to as early as 1961.... I can remember that often during the 60's when we arrived a corps might be tempted to get off the bus and start a "bunny hop" line that was popular at the time - something you did at every wedding...

I even remember once this happened and wanting to avoid any confrontation, Vince held us all on the bus and went out alone and jumped on the end of the line doing the bunny hop himself... through the shock of it, the situation was completely difused... Vince Bruni was a genius at that stuff... only in Clifton in 1972 - the only time I ever saw him lose his cool - when he clearly said "enough is enough" and led us into the parking lot did I ever see him lose his diplomat personna.

O.K. here was my take. It was attributed to the way Eddie Mizma bounced when he marched.

One of the crappier done cartoons that "Uncle Bob" on the local TV station would have for the Central PA kids to veg out on in the early/mid 60s. Ranked right up there with "Jot" (a ball whatthe####isit that would push the Ten Commandments), Laurel & Hardy, 3 Stooges (cartoon version of both) and Sinbad the Sailor and his b-wordy parrot Salty.

Actually Googled CR and Rags and supposedly the first cartoon done for just for TV as opposed to Tom & Jerry, Looney Tunes and Popeye which were done for the movie thearters

Yeah... long time toon-head at heart.....