My collection continues to grow : )

My collection of historic Skyliner items is growing. Even though I am a youngster, I have a tremendous amount of pride in Sky regardless of it's current state. I love everything about the corps both good and bad. I am also a history buff. So far, I have a copy of the American Legion magazine from August 1950 which has an article about Garbarina winning it's first ever American Legion championship, the Big Red bass drum which to my knowledge hasn't seen the field since Sky's last championship back in 75, and now, low in behold in Birmingham, Alabama I come across a fellow drum corps nut who states that he was never a Skyliner and never will be a Skyliner. But seeing as how I am a Skyliner he thought it only be right if I have this. He also said that 3 Skyliners in particular would appreciate this. Bucky Swan, the late Walter Winkelman, and the Skyliner who gave this item to him, Tommy Martin. I am truly grateful to him for giving this item to me and honored to have it.

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/9468/037ux.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I meant to post this in the Historic DCA area of DCP. Could a moderator please move this for me?

Anyone still got the rabbit skull from '72?

what was that all about anyway? :tongue:

if you find the REAL rabbit from 72.... it will be headless... they chopped off the head on the 50 yard line...

Anyone still got the rabbit skull from '72?

why, why , why do you bring this up? i was watching from a window in the school and laughed my arse off. i turned to one of my buddies and said......" only the skyliners would do that".

if you find the REAL rabbit from 72.... it will be headless... they chopped off the head on the 50 yard line...

Now Tom, this is simply not true ... it was not a REAL LIVE rabbit that got beheaded prior to us taking the field ... even your buddy Don knows this ... Phil Perry (RIP) walked around all day with a live bunny dressed in a black cape - ala Crusader Rabbit ... just prior to us entering the field that night he switched it with a stuffed toy rabbit, complete with the same cape ... that is the little FAKE critter that met its doom under the goal post, not the 50 yard line ... and then the corps stomped the stuffing out of it as they marched onto the starting line in between the drumline who formed a gate for them to pass through ... so ... to put the fokelore to rest, the REAL rabbit lived to see many a future Easter Sunday ...

Andy "I was there and part of the non-killing of the non-rabbit" Lisko

My collection of historic Skyliner items is growing. Even though I am a youngster, I have a tremendous amount of pride in Sky regardless of it's current state. I love everything about the corps both good and bad. I am also a history buff. So far, I have a copy of the American Legion magazine from August 1950 which has an article about Garbarina winning it's first ever American Legion championship, the Big Red bass drum which to my knowledge hasn't seen the field since Sky's last championship back in 75, and now, low in behold in Birmingham, Alabama I come across a fellow drum corps nut who states that he was never a Skyliner and never will be a Skyliner. But seeing as how I am a Skyliner he thought it only be right if I have this. He also said that 3 Skyliners in particular would appreciate this. Bucky Swan, the late Walter Winkelman, and the Skyliner who gave this item to him, Tommy Martin. I am truly grateful to him for giving this item to me and honored to have it.

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/9468/037ux.jpg

They made that tee shirt in yellow lettering on a red shirt (the one you are wearing), and red lettering on a yellow shirt. It is indeed a classic. The screw indicates that most of the Corps at the time felt they were constantly getting screwed at contests throughout the 1960 season (who really knows). Last time that type of shirt was at our Greenwood Lake weekend rehearsal in 1965. Be careful when you wear it, it just might fall apart on you. :tongue: Who gave that shirt to Tommy Martin? He wasn't in the Skyliners in 1960. To the best of my recollection he only marched one season, 1963. Was with him this past weekend at Archie's Brass Reunion. Maybe he'll be at the GAS Reunion. If he is I'll mention that shirt to him. I'll probably see Swan there as well.

Where are you stationed right now?

lol

I was referring to the stuffed rabbit... no blood was spilled (although it got close in the parking lot)