My collection continues to grow : )

One of the crappier done cartoons that "Uncle Bob" on the local TV station would have for the Central PA kids to veg out on in the early/mid 60s. Ranked right up there with "Jot" (a ball whatthe####isit that would push the Ten Commandments), Laurel & Hardy, 3 Stooges (cartoon version of both) and Sinbad the Sailor and his b-wordy parrot Salty.

Actually Googled CR and Rags and supposedly the first cartoon done for just for TV as opposed to Tom & Jerry, Looney Tunes and Popeye which were done for the movie thearters

Yeah... long time toon-head at heart.....

The crappiest had to be Clutch Cargo......and what was it about this old guy hanging out with a little boy............I'm just sayin'

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The crappiest had to be Clutch Cargo......and what was it about this old guy hanging out with a little boy............I'm just sayin'

Oh man I forgot about Clutch (been trying for years :ph34r: ). He was in that AM crap mix too. If anyone hasn't seen it, it was basically still pictures where only the lips moved (human mouth super-imposed over the pic). We only had B&W back then and the lips came out a lot darker than the picture of the face. Looked like a freakin' caterpiller junping aroung *UGH*.

Yeah, once in a while Clutch ("Clutch" as a name???? contact Sigmund Freud) had the guy who looked like he lived in the swamp and never bathed come over. :thumbup:

Dollar Store used to sell crappy DVDs and Clutch episodes was one of them.... still didn't want anything to do with it. :ph34r:

O.K. here was my take. It was attributed to the way Eddie Mizma bounced when he marched.

actually in the 50's the corps did the bunny hop on the field. in fact in my cru history book it was 1958 that they did a lot of dancing and the bunny hop. it was controversial.

Edited by donincardona

Don and Tom,

The Crusader Rabbit cartoons were popular in the southern tier of NY back in the 50' & 60's. That might be why you got the nickname back then. I remember Allen as a very flashy DM with a lot of panache. One of the original showman (along with Wally Curtis of the Princemen). He's the first DM that I know who would prvide his own uni. Fred Gebhart did the samething wit the Skyliners in 1976. And, on a personal note, I wasn't at the '72 Clifton show. All I heard were stories (and I mean a LOT of stories) about the incident. But I DO and DID know that it wasn't a real rabbit. Wink (and I think Chuck Johnson) told me all about it. Tom, did Vince think it was a real rabbit?

no he didn't. he knew it was stuffed. crist it had a big RC on the front of it. vince was mad about other things that night.

which is interesting because Crusader Rabbit was NOT popular in Rochester and at the time, most of us had to have it explained to us... but it goes back to as early as 1961.... I can remember that often during the 60's when we arrived a corps might be tempted to get off the bus and start a "bunny hop" line that was popular at the time - something you did at every wedding...

I even remember once this happened and wanting to avoid any confrontation, Vince held us all on the bus and went out alone and jumped on the end of the line doing the bunny hop himself... through the shock of it, the situation was completely difused... Vince Bruni was a genius at that stuff... only in Clifton in 1972 - the only time I ever saw him lose his cool - when he clearly said "enough is enough" and led us into the parking lot did I ever see him lose his diplomat personna.

I saw it in the lot after finals in 2001. man when he got mad...

I saw it in the lot after finals in 2001. man when he got mad...

well i saw it a lot personally. directed at me. tom knows what i mean. but he was good at holding back in general.

of course we're talking about the stuffed rabbit... there were a lot of other things said... the irony was that Vince lead us out of the stadium into the parking lot and some security figured out what was going on and locked the doors... so it ended up being only a handful of us against what appeared to be Sky's whole corps... with the rest of the corps trying to figure out how to get out of the stadium. '72 was a unique year (mostly due to so many corps being amazingly good)... but as Big Mike and I have agreed... the truth about much that happened will be hermedically sealed in a mayonaisse jar only to be opened after my death.

Having survived the Clifton parking lot ordeal isn't it funny that I had to wait all this time to get a good explanation of the "Crusader Rabbit" thing. Then again, they tell me I wasn't allways that coherent in the early 70's LOL

Having survived the Clifton parking lot ordeal isn't it funny that I had to wait all this time to get a good explanation of the "Crusader Rabbit" thing. Then again, they tell me I wasn't allways that coherent in the early 70's LOL

Well they always say good things come to those who wait... Or at least closure... :ph34r: