Switching corps

This is for anyone who has marched multiple corps. What was your reason for changing corps? Was it financial, because you wanted a higher placement, did your corps fold? Were you not happy with the members/staff/volunteers? Or you just wanted a chance to experience multiple corps?

Also, was it hard watching your former corps the next year?

And finally, were you really happy with your decision, or did you regret it later on?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you'll see many different answers, based on the "era" in which we marched.

In the mid-70's through the mid-80's, corps were folding at an absolutely alarming rate. We went from having hundreds (probably thousands) down to a very small number in a very short period of time. Most of us then were forced to leave/join another corps because our former units were no longer viable...or were soon to be in that condition. I don't think any of us were happy about it, but it was a reality of that time.

I spent 5 years in what was then a very successful small corps. (2nd place in what you now call Open; back then we called it Class A.) We had world renowned staff and arrangers in some areas, but it was never totally fulfilling to me, as I wanted to march in the "big boys" and my otherwise enormously supportive folks wouldn't let me.

My sister and I went on to march in Gah-field (her) and the Bridgemen (me), because we felt like those were the right "fits" for us. At that point in time, our small corps was being finanaced out of existence, so I'm not sure we ever looked back.

I moved on from the Bridgemen to Star of Indiana in 1985 for many reasons, but the two most prominent were: I didn't think (financially) the Bridgemen would be able to field a corps in 1985 (my ageout year). They did. And I felt lousy for leaving them. But I also saw the opportunity to join this crazy, multi-zillionaire in his efforts to fund a corporately sponsored corps (which I thought was a GREAT idea) in an area of the country we had been performing in that was clearly ripe for a corps of its own (Bloomington, IN) - and I took it.

I regret leaving the Bridgemen while they still managed to put a product on the field. I understood their finances and didn't think it was possible, but those were my guys and I feel lousy that I wasn't with them to the very end.

I regret marching with Star, because I really believed we were in it for the long haul and were not going to be an organization that left the drum corps activity (and all the area kids who wanted to march) after so very few years just to feed the ego of a few individuals in charge. Yet, I'm glad I made the move to Star and contributed to the formation of a great organization that helped at least a few hundred (maybe a thousand?) kids reach their dreams.

I envy the people who have been able to fall out of their front door, march with an established corps rather easily for years, and then move on to the rest of their life. That is not the experience I had, nor the experience most of my friends had...but we are, of course, dinos.

Cheers!

Karen

Thanks for the answer Karen, I too remember the late 70's and 80's where we were losing sometimes between 20-50 corps a year. And I know you are right when you say that the answer probably does belong alot to the decade in which the performer marched. I feel so bad for kids whose corps have folded over the years.

Because the corps I was in folded. Simple as that.

Was pulled out of SCV for substandard academic acheivement by parents, by the time I got the green light to march again the hornline was full and it was either march Blue Devils, or take the year off.

I joined BD and never looked back. I got different yet equally special and irreplacable experiences from both, and wouldn't change ANY of it for the world.

Fate. Good Luck. Bad Luck. Life. Being a hired hand. Staying in the activity for a long time.

Never had any regrets anywhere I worked. Loved the people I worked with and for. I remain a huge fan of every corps I've been associated with.

Not bad for 35 years teaching and almost 50 years in the activity.

Fate. Good Luck. Bad Luck. Life. Being a hired hand. Staying in the activity for a long time.

Never had any regrets anywhere I worked. Loved the people I worked with and for. I remain a huge fan of every corps I've been associated with.

Not bad for 35 years teaching and almost 50 years in the activity.

Dude,

Your PM was awesome and made me smile. Clean out your inbox one of these days (oh popular one) so we can keep our bawdy comments safe from the kids!

KS

I felt like some of the staff at my old corps didn't give us the tools to live up to our potential, and the ones that did were leaving the next year anyway.

So I decided if I was going to change corps I would give it everything I had and see if I was good enough to compete for a world championship. Some people from my old corps called me a ring chaser, but they were the ones I wasn't worried about anyway, and I was way happier with my new corps in every possible way. Never regretted it for a second.

It wasn't hard for me watching my former corps the next year because I knew I was where I belonged. I still cheer for my old corps, and I hope they do well, but my heart belongs to my second corps.