Glee and SCV Drumline

Anyone know where Tom Rarick is from originally? Heard the name connected with corps back in the 70s but might have been and older relative.

Dang he's an Inidiana Univ of PA grad too... :tongue:

I noticed it on Glee's 1st episode. VDL is the 2004 championship SCV drumline and is augmented by sounds we need from the collection of Jim Casella.

Is it just me or does anyone else watch Glee to see how the arrangers modernize, meld, mash, manipulate, and sometimes mutilate songs? I love that as well as the use of alliteration.

I'm pretty sure Murry Gusseck (current SCV Battery Caption Manager) is behind V Drumline. Does anyone have any fun anecdotes about Glee approaching him, or his reaction when he first found out? This has got to be the the closest DCI has gotten to mainstream media and I think it is way cool.

p.s. Forgive me if this topic has been addressed, but the 9 page Glee thread makes no mention of the SCV connection.

While Murray is a part of Tapspace, Virtual Drumline is really the brainchild of Jim Casella. They've both doe some amazing things with Virtual Drumline. I use VDL 2.5 with Sibelius for all of my percussion arranging and its a great tool to give kids something to play along with and have them understand what the music should sound like as they practice on their own time.

Gives the unknowing public a fake impression of school music and music teachers... just like those other fairy tales: "Fame" (just put a boom box on top of a car. Kids will pour out into the street and break into a well chorerographed song and dance routine); "Mr. Holland" ("just picture a beautiful sunset...") "Drum Line" (yikes!); "High School Musical" (double yikes!)

If that stuff is your pleasure, by all means turn up the volume and knock yourself out. But none for me, thanks...

peace,

Fred O.

Entertainment doesnt all have to be about reality. It can just make you smile or tap your toe. An escape from reality is great entertainment I think. JMO..... and still beats all the crap on TV now

Entertainment doesnt all have to be about reality. It can just make you smile or tap your toe. An escape from reality is great entertainment I think. JMO..... and still beats all the crap on TV now

I didn't say that entertainment had to be about reality. And as I said, if you enjoy it, by all means indulge yourself. But nothing about Glee makes me want to smile or tap my toe; I'd rather gag myself with a tongue depressor. Each to his own, I guess.

enjoy,

Fred O.

I didn't say that entertainment had to be about reality. And as I said, if you enjoy it, by all means indulge yourself. But nothing about Glee makes me want to smile or tap my toe; I'd rather gag myself with a tongue depressor. Each to his own, I guess.

enjoy,

Fred O.

HA HA HA.......agreed

Since the question's been answered, I'm closing this thread. There's a thread on Glee in our Entertainment OT forum.