A Drum Corps Blind Spot

None of " the top 8 Corps for the last several years " have been impacted at all by the attire worn by staff at practices, or seen along the stadium track for the few minutes their Corps is in performance.

I've seen worse attire in the stands and at INT for heavens sake.

Anybody that's watchng and commenting aloud so others around them can hear their comment at shows re. the attire that some staff are wearing when Corps are in performance or are about to perform, I'd politely tell them when they stood up after a performance that their flys open.

Since 1972, Corps staffs have pretty much dressed the same way while going from town to town on summer tours. Shorts, t shirts, sneakers or sandals. Maybe the hair was longer back then, but that's it. No problems. Nobody said a thing. Not an issue.

There is apparently a new fan base evolving here with DCI, that I was not quite aware of up to this time.. One where Corps staff fashion is important to them when these fans go to the shows now. Frankly, up to now I've never heard a single fan at the shows I've gone too, believe that in DCI. " the top 8 Corps " have had a recent problem with the personal hygiene and clothing worn by their staff. But we learn something new every day. I still believe that if the kids in DCI " top 8 Corps " ( and their staffs ) read this thread about alleged audible comments re. staff clothing choices at recent shows, they'd get a chuckle on the entire silliness of this recent emergence of the fashion police among some in this new " evolving " DCI fan base.

hate to tell you, but based on conversation with people that represent major musical instrument manufacturing companies, people are noticing. And as DCI continues to want to be big business, it may be something they want to look at. Yes, we dont view DCi as the corporate world, but some do, and their corporations are shelling out some nice bucks to DCI and it's member corps

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hate to tell you, but based on conversation with people that represent major musical instrument manufacturing companies, people are noticing. And as DCI continues to want to be big business, it may be something they want to look at. Yes, we dont view DCi as the corporate world, but some do, and their corporations are shelling out some nice bucks to DCI and it's member corps

Asked a few myself being this became such a hot topic and I found the opposite.. I was told YES its a business and DOLLARS, measurable success and progress drive these companies not fashion. Now, totally distasteful attire, junk hanging out is another story altogether

I try to be professional in my life 'cause I am a professional, career and volunteerism. It'd be nice to have a day off to be a drum corps spectator. Please advise as to how I should act and more importantly, what shall I wear? In case the camera is there! I like drum corps and would like a day to chill; enjoy drum corps music and drill! ... by young people on the field doing their thing which I think is majorly cool :blink:

BRASSO - Yes, it is a little known fact that Beethoven was often chastised for his sloppy demeanor and ragged attire. Sadly, those comments fell on deaf ears. :blink:

BRASSO - Yes, it is a little known fact that Beethoven was often chastised for his sloppy demeanor and ragged attire. Sadly, those comments fell on deaf ears. :blink:

Yes, it is true that from all accounts, Beethoven was " a slob". I purposefully selected arguably the greatest composer of all time... Beethoven.... for my example to illustrate my point.

Almost every child and person in the entire western world has heard of Beethoven's music at one time or another.

And you are correct, MarkDevine, that it is a fact that in his time, " Beethoven was chastised for his sloppy appearance and ragged attire."... and that " this is a little known fact ".....this is why I selected Beethoven . He's an example on what is relevent, and what is not so relevent, in the eyes of the world ultimately regarding a person. Nobody knows or cares about Beethoven' s "attire".

There are lots of anonymous, faceless, and obscure music composers whose influence to the world are only to those whisering few who cared about what that composer wore when in public view, noticed this, and can say approvingly to one another that this music composer was always........." well dressed ".

Edited by BRASSO

I honestly think the whole "how the staff dresses at shows" conversation has basically run its course.

To get back to the main topic: I teach at a private school and I think what I see at my school is pertinent to this discussion. Our school's "business" is to provide an experience like no other, one that attracts "clients" (parents) who feel what we have to offer is worth what they are asked to pay - not unlike drum corps, except the clientele of drum corps is both student/member/parents AND audience.

When our school has administrative shortcomings, the whole organization suffers. If we fail to hire the right person for the right administrative job, we shoot ourselves in the foot. But when we have the right mix of skill, initiative and drive then we are all on top of our game.

In drum corps, sometimes the people running the administrative show are not skilled in administration. They want to help the corps that they love, but they don't have the training. In other cases, a corps might stick with one operating model that worked in earlier years but doesn't function in the current climate. Or perhaps a corps hasn't updated it's clientele attraction efforts and therefore it has outdated websites, communications, souvies, etc. I think THIS is what the OP was really aiming to talk about.

I don't think it's really about mediocrity. Rather, I think it's about being able to self-evaluate and make some very difficult choices when needed.

Oh sure.... we're to believe that " major musical instrument manufacturig companies " don't associate with, or sell ( for example ) guitars, drums, trumpets, to bands that off ( and on )the stage " don't dress well, and behave well ".

You ( or others ) might buy such uttered nonsense. But I don't. Look at all the Rap, Alternative Rock, Grunge Bands.... even the Harvard and Stanford marching Bands, etc.... and try and tell us that they care what musicians and staff look like...... that these " major musical instrument manufacturing companies " care a wit about what musicians and staff wear and that they are whispering to withhold instrument sales or not be associated with in any way in sponsoring to such bands and groups as a result. Such naivety. These businesses sell their instruments to whomever can folk over the cash..... this includes ROUTINELY Selling and having advertising with, and sponsoring with, bands with disheveled looking drug addicts, former felons, alcoholics, those who pose nude in public,those who display all manner of bizarre antics on and off the stage, and so forth.

Those guys were lying in their teeth to you. This is because at the end of the day, if that mfg.doesn't sell the instruments to the band, some other Mfg. will, and you can bet your life on it. These instrument Mfg. arn't in the business of evaluating" dress codes."... on DCI staff at practice, on the sidelines at shows. What a crock. They're in the business of selling their goods, and making a profit to themselves, their company, and to their shareholders .They'll sell, and be associated with, any group that'll buy their stuff. Pure and simple. They're a business enterprise, not a church organization.

Edited by BRASSO

I think, at this point, the best support you can offer for your position is to stop posting. You've taken what was first a reasonable rebuttal to an ancillary issue and morphed it into a gross caricature of a reasoned line of argument. The libel involved in that last post was well over the top and highlighted the many problems with the argument as you've expanded it.

Speaking as an semi-interested onlooker, I have to say that you're working against your own cause at this point.

I think, at this point, the best support you can offer for your position is to stop posting. You've taken what was first a reasonable rebuttal to an ancillary issue and morphed it into a gross caricature of a reasoned line of argument. The libel involved in that last post was well over the top and highlighted the many problems with the argument as you've expanded it.

Speaking as an semi-interested onlooker, I have to say that you're working against your own cause at this point.

I hear you. But my suggestion would be not to shut off debate. I'll suggest that when you don't like my reply ( or any other poster's reply ) to simply scroll on by that poster's reply, go to another thread, or start your own thread. I'm capable of scrolling by your reply. I'm about too now, but thought I'd pass this along as a suggestion, before I did.

I honestly think the whole "how the staff dresses at shows" conversation has basically run its course.

To get back to the main topic: I teach at a private school and I think what I see at my school is pertinent to this discussion. Our school's "business" is to provide an experience like no other, one that attracts "clients" (parents) who feel what we have to offer is worth what they are asked to pay - not unlike drum corps, except the clientele of drum corps is both student/member/parents AND audience.

When our school has administrative shortcomings, the whole organization suffers. If we fail to hire the right person for the right administrative job, we shoot ourselves in the foot. But when we have the right mix of skill, initiative and drive then we are all on top of our game.

In drum corps, sometimes the people running the administrative show are not skilled in administration. They want to help the corps that they love, but they don't have the training. In other cases, a corps might stick with one operating model that worked in earlier years but doesn't function in the current climate. Or perhaps a corps hasn't updated it's clientele attraction efforts and therefore it has outdated websites, communications, souvies, etc. I think THIS is what the OP was really aiming to talk about.

I don't think it's really about mediocrity. Rather, I think it's about being able to self-evaluate and make some very difficult choices when needed.

The OP and his opening remarks... and follow up remarks... don't need interpretation. He adequately called for excellence in all things ( a worthy goal ), and used examples... ie" Corps staff attire " being one, that he felt was wanting in this regard. He made his case, and posters had a chance to respond to his examples as they so desired, and now I'd say it's time to move on. ( although if others... new to the thread... want to chime in, I'm not for cutting off debate here . That would seem intolerant to me. That's their choice, imo )

Edited by BRASSO