A Drum Corps Blind Spot

I would argue that we should consider whether "the appearance of a staff should be a part of their measure" is a paradigm we wish to endorse. Speaking from personal experience, had my parents decided whether to let me march based on staff appearance, I may have missed out on a fantastic opportunity.

Back in 1983, neither George Zingali, nor Mark Sylvester was committed to "excellence in appearance". My HS band director (a former Air Force man) was. Much as I appreciate my band director, I would not for a moment think that he was a better instructor or that I was able to learn more about excellence from him than George, Sully (who routinely "borrowed" clothing and shower supplies from members bags, LOL) or a 24 year old George Hopkins and the rest of that Garfield team. They were about excellence in rehearsal and performance and changing the world by trying as hard as possible, at every opportunity to be great. Would it have been nice if they dressed better, swore less were generally "more appropriate and excellent" in their other non-drum corps related details? I guess.

But I defy you to find me a marching member who would willing trade what they got from their staff/corps for a lesser rehearsal/performance experience with more "small detail" excellence. They are not mutually exclusive, but in the grand scheme of priorities for members, I doubt staff dress would even be considered.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW 20 pages on this topic..lmao..See what you did Granny....lol....somehow I think you knew it

What I attempted to do was elevate the notion that excellence is found in the details. Perhaps my downfall was using any specifics at all to illustrate what I was talking about.

Some here have spoken of ideals, that we shouldn't judge a person by their outward appearance. I agree. I wish for everyone to reach that ideal, but I don't believe that is reality . . . and lest you think I'm some old wrinkled angel who has overcome this, I have not. Have you? Have you really?

When I raised my children I didn't raise them according to how I wish for people to treat them, I taught them according to how people will treat them.

I cannot control how other people view me. I cannot control how people view my children. I can, however, control myself and how I present myself. I live trying to remove all obstacles for a wrong impression. This too is idealistic; however, it's an ideal I can pursue.

Granny- One of the main tools I used in raising my kids was "Choices and Consequences" Make a good choice, you'll probably get a good consequence. Bad choice..." (Well, you get the picture.) Again, something I learned from my drum corps mentors, and not my parents.

I was watching the TV sitcom " The Office " last night and thought of this thread.

I couldn't quite make up my mind who is the sharpest dresser in the Dunder Mifflin Co, there in Scranton, Pa.

Is is Michael Scott, the boss ?

Pam ? Dwight ? Jim ? Meredith ? Stanley ? Paul ? Judy ?

" rank has it's privleges" as Michael has said on a number of occasions

Michael Scott dresses the best. He's clean shaven, with a well fitted suit and matching tie and shoes.

He looks ( and acts ) just like a couple of bosses I knew when I was younger. I was impressed with their attire.

DCI Corps staff should take note of Michael Scott's attire.

" Clothes make the Man "

Edited by BRASSO

I was watching the TV sitcom " The Office " last night and thought of this thread.

I couldn't quite make up my mind who is the sharpest dresser in the Dunder Mifflin Co, there in Scranton, Pa.

Is is Michael Scott, the boss ?

Pam ? Dwight ? Jim ? Meredith ? Stanley ? Paul ? Judy ?

I think rank has it's privleges.

Michael Scott dresses the best. He's clean shaven, well fitted suit and matching tie and shoes.

He looks ( and acts ) just like a couple of bosses I knew when I was younger. I was impressed with their attire.

My hopes have come true! I am so thankful BRASSO!

I had hoped someone would divert this discussion with something...anything! Not only that, but you used "The Office" to do it. This is perhaps one of the top 10 best sitcoms of all time and I LOVE IT!

So, I'm thinking Michael and Meredith would have a completely different opinion about this discussion. Don't you think?

My hopes have come true! I am so thankful BRASSO!

I had hoped someone would divert this discussion with something...anything! Not only that, but you used "The Office" to do it. This is perhaps one of the top 10 best sitcoms of all time and I LOVE IT!

So, I'm thinking Michael and Meredith would have a completely different opinion about this discussion. Don't you think?

Granny, you fooled me. Meredith and Pam would be at odds on who is the best dresser in " the Office "

I thought for certain you'd have liked Pam's daily attire the best, and would have sided wih her over both Michael and Meredith.

Edited by BRASSO

Attention to detail is fine. I think where we disagree is that all details are equally important. And that focusing on the wrong details is not only inefficient but often lead to very negative results. This whole thing started with corps posters and how do they reflect a commitment to excellence on the part of the corps.

We disagree about this -- not because I think having excellence in artwork is a bad thing -- but because I think it's not a very high priority for a drum corps. I contend that those corps who *do* have great posters have them because they found a volunteer willing to give her talent and time to the process. Those who don't have "professional" art are not less committed to pursuing excellence but instead are prioritizing their resources responsibly. Paying for artwork (because details matter) instead of paying for fuel is NOT pursuing excellence -- it's bad corps management. Because in the long run that artwork doesn't do a thing to help achieve excellence on the field. And let's be clear -- that's the goal of a drum corps. The lessons learned and life skills imparted happen in large part because of that commitment to excellence on the field.

This is the best post I have read in the thread, and I find myself taking corpsband's position on this issue. I agree that Phantom's show graphic looks amateurish. I even agree that it acts as a first impression of their show, and right now that impression isn't great. However, I know that any concerns I have about the graphic will be quickly forgotten once I see Phantom Regiment's show for the first time.

The fact remains that the performance is the ultimate goal for any drum corps. Show graphics are only a rather recent thing. Phantom is one of the most popular corps in existence - not because of their show graphics or posters, but because of the stellar and entertaining performances they have been putting on for decades. The Troopers remain a very popular corps, though this too is because of a past history of stellar and entertaining performances and not because they've had great artwork the past few years.

Granny, I really enjoy the work you've done on the Troopers posters. I bought one myself at Semis last year. But in truth your efforts are just publicity for the true product, which is the field show. No doubt the posters you've created have allowed fans and members to feel additional pride in their corps - because the posters are a great product - but I would be surprised to find someone who became a Troopers fan only because of the posters and who didn't actually enjoy the shows on the field. It's great that the Troopers have someone like who, someone who is willing and able to offer their services to create an excellent product. It would be great if every corps had access to someone with those skills, or the means to hire someone with those skills. It would not surprise me, though, to learn that not all corps are so lucky.

Running a corps, like running a business, is a matter of making the most efficient use of limited resources. If a choice must be made between producing a quality poster or hiring an additional tech to clean some feet, then I would want my favorite corps to hire the tech every time. The show is the priority, and I think the people you read saying "who cares?" likely realized that a poor show graphic is easily excused by an excellent performance on the field. There's a saying in sports that winning cures everything. I think that winning - and entertaining - allows us to forgive a lot in the drum corps activity as well. As it should. The show is what matters.

So ... you live constantly focused not on who you are and what you are doing but instead what you look like?

Granny we always suspected you were a runway model!

My legs are as thin and my chest as flat as a runway model...but that's about where the similarities end.

I actually had a couple more paragraphs that I deleted because of length that dealt with the importance of building one's character internally first. Just so you know...I really do believe that what's inside is what matters the most. In fact, I would make an argument that what's inside usually works it way outside. But...that's for another day.