A Drum Corps Blind Spot

Ok...I am talking suits here. We are talking golf shirts and dockers or haggar shorts/pants. Not exactly break the bank money.

Well, it is when you figure you're going to have to outfit every staff member with enough shirts, pants, belts, socks and shoes to last at least two weeks. After all, we don't want anything (except maybe shoes and belt) re-worn without laundering. All of the sudden you are breaking the bank, at several hundred dollars per staffer...

That's nice.....but probably a rarity though.

In my experience, that's the norm.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will this imaginary corps also have portable laundry facilities so all these clothes can be kept nice and neat?

Will this imaginary corps also have portable laundry facilities so all these clothes can be kept nice and neat?

And their own dry cleaner on-site. :blink:

Can you feel the ripping sound of me losing my grip as I try to avoid being drug back into this discussion? But...I want to add just a little snippet.

Here is a constructive idea, lest you think no solutions are being given.

(I copied and pasted this from someone I know)

1. Go to www.broderbros.com and take a bit of time and set up an account.

2. Order polos for wholesale prices.

You can purchase
quality
polos (I would recommend at least a poly blend if not all polyester to avoid the need for serious ironing) for anywhere from $10 to $20. For $20 you can get an Adidas ClimaLite polo.

If you want a less expensive shirt, you can even get Gildan 50/50 pols for as low as $2.50 each!

So...let's say you get the cheap one. That is about the same price as a a tshirt wholesale.

It's easier when we argue to totally dismiss another point of view, so we begin to speak without any balance. Polos really aren't as expensive and difficult as many think. As for laundering the shirts, they have to launder their tshirts, and laundering a polo is the same.

Can you feel the ripping sound of me losing my grip as I try to avoid being drug back into this discussion? But...I want to add just a little snippet.

Here is a constructive idea, lest you think no solutions are being given.

(I copied and pasted this from someone I know)

1. Go to www.broderbros.com and take a bit of time and set up an account.

2. Order polos for wholesale prices.

You can purchase
quality
polos (I would recommend at least a poly blend if not all polyester to avoid the need for serious ironing) for anywhere from $10 to $20. For $20 you can get an Adidas ClimaLite polo.

If you want a less expensive shirt, you can even get Gildan 50/50 pols for as low as $2.50 each!

So...let's say you get the cheap one. That is about the same price as a a tshirt wholesale.

It's easier when we argue to totally dismiss another point of view, so we begin to speak without any balance. Polos really aren't as expensive and difficult as many think. As for laundering the shirts, they have to launder their tshirts, and laundering a polo is the same.

What are the footwear requirements to match the " polo shirts " in this new dress code of ours for DCI Corps staff on summer tour ? sandals : In ? out ? ...... What about sneakers : in ? out ? ..... older sneakers: in ? out ?.....

Edited by BRASSO

Yes. After the staff does some tune up practice runs with the Corps in the stadium parking lot just before the show, the staff will then put their t shirts into the portable laundry facility AFTER they will have gone to the bus, school gym, or macdonalds rest room, etc to don their" polo shirt" and pants before joining the Corps once again at the stadium entrance gate. They will do this exercise approx. 33 times during the summer tour . Then again, it is of course at least somewhat possible to do the practice run throughs in the stadium parking lots, gyms, hills, streets, etc around the stadiums in..... their fine ( but about to become sweaty) handsome " polo shirts " and their fine attire accompaniment meant to impress the impressionable they'll encounter in the stands on their summer tour with their Corps. This way, they'll sweat like a pig in the run through, but it's the very least they can do for those paying customers that came to see how the Corps staff dressed at the show.

Edited by BRASSO

What are the footwear requirements to match the " polo shirts " in this new dress code of ours for DCI Corps staff on summer tour ? sandals : In ? out ? ...... What about sneakers : in ? out ? ..... older sneakers: in ? out ?.....

Some have accused me in the past of being dense in my ability to read people and what their opinions really are. So, is it safe to say that you don't like the idea? I've just been really struggling to figure out where you land on all this.

Some have accused me in the past of being dense in my ability to read people and what their opinions really are. So, is it safe to say that you don't like the idea? I've just been really struggling to figure out where you land on all this.

Do the Corps staff direct the practice run throughs outside the stadium in their " polo shirts " and then change before entering the stadium ? Or do they enter the stadium with their Corps with the same " polo shirt " and other fine attire accompaniment that they directed the Corps with, moments ago in the 90-95 degree heat and humidity ? Serious question, Granny, and just asking. ( by the way, I think you are well meaning here Granny. But after reading this about " polo shirts " and the need to dress well, I'm pretty confident now that you've never been on a Corps staff and directed a Corps in practices on the summer tours. Which is fine, you simply don't know what they have to do, and their time schedules ,intensive outdoor ( and indoor ) practices right up to literally a few moments before entering the field for competition, etc. Otherwise, you'd not put DCI staff through a dress code requirement like this at the stadium shows. )

Edited by BRASSO

Granny isn't trying as far as I can see to dictate a dress code for DCI. She is suggesting that any organization who cares even a little about their image, not have staff members present themselves to the public in a manner that questions whether they spent the night in a dumpster or not. Seems simple enough to me, but of course I'm not trying to hide sarcasm behind a faux "serious" post.

Granny isn't trying as far as I can see to dictate a dress code for DCI. She is suggesting that any organization who cares even a little about their image, not have staff members present themselves to the public in a manner that questions whether they spent the night in a dumpster or not. Seems simple enough to me, but of course I'm not trying to hide sarcasm behind a faux "serious" post.

I'm still waiting for a name of a Corps that has recently had on it's staff a Staff member that ( as you said ) " looked like they spent the night in a dumpster "..... or as another poster said on this thread above ( quote ) " were in their underwear beside empty beer bottles beside the food truck "..... rather than " hiding behind a faux " criticisms of current DCI Corps staff. Unless we can name names of specific Corps ( never stopped us on here before ), then we are just tip toeing around the issue and not providing examples of recent Corps staff apparently being drunks and slobs.

Granny's thread is about eliminating medocrity and pursuing excellence on and of the field. This is a noble and worthy goal. She has used as her example... and followed it up once again today.... with the need for " polo shirts " to be worn by DCI staff. It is HER example that she has used. More than once. And used it as her example once again this morning. Had she not brought up DCI Corps staff " attire " in her example, no doubt noone here would have replied to the " attire " criticisms of DCI Corps at all. I've not seen a major change in the attire worn by DCI Staff since DCI was formed in 1972. The " attire " and the overall decorum of the staff has pretty much remained constant for over 35 years now... and with nary a criticism from anyone than perhaps an isolated incident here or there that is bound to happen from time to time with so many corps and so many staffs that have come and gone. However, From a reading of this thread, the natural and reasonable impression one would get is that these are not isolated incidents of late anymore, but rather a more systemic problem now with DCI Corps... that there are drunks and slobs running amok with these DCI Corps.... and has prompted multiple posters here on DCP to come to the fore with their criticisms of DCI staff " looking like they slept in a dumpster ", and other examples of slovenly attire and decorum.

Who are the DCI Corps with such problems of slovenly dress and decorum on the part of their staff ?

Edited by BRASSO