More photos on previous page

06.jpg07.jpg08.jpg09.jpg10.jpg11.jpg

Edited by Granny Smith

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granny- Were all these photos taken in Indy last summer? :tongue:

i have to say that i'm a little surprised by many of the "so what?" responses here.

i'm not saying that drum corps should be run like for-profit ventures, but if i (for example) were sent marketing collateral from a potential vendor that looked as awful as some of those posters, they wouldn't get my company's business, even if their product is the best available.

if you aren't taking care of the little stuff, i have little confidence that you are good at what you do.

in drum corps, if you aren't taking care of the little stuff, i have little confidence in what you are teaching my children. (and yes, in 2010, drum corps is ALL about education -- not competition.)

when i marched, support people washed and dried all of the vehicles on every show day. why? so that we'd look like a million dollars rolling into the lot. its the same as straightening your tie on the way into a job interview. seriously.

I'm on board on the importance of staff inculcating the proper values, character building components, etc with their members. I'm confident most, if not all, do so.

I'm not on board that attire matters, particularly in the Performing Arts. They're not in the business world. They're at Summer Camp for heavens sake. I can't think of a single instance where a Corps with an unkempt ( but brilliant ) staff member was hurt in placement or scoring, or with the kids admiration for the staff members work, and instruction that staff member provided, and the solid life long skills imparted.

if we judged composers by how they dressed, cut their hair, etc then Mozart, Mackey, Bartok, Fielder, etc would be in the dust bin of history.

Staff should dress in good attire. It's just common sense. But if they don't, it doesn't mean a hill of beans, imo in the grand scheme of things with their Corps, their members, the judges, nor the public in the end. Most of the best icons in Drum Corps were rumpled messes regarding their attire. I didn't care then. I don't care now. They're not Bankers or Salesmen, and gawd knows we've all seen lots of well dressed incompetents and morons in our lives.

Edited by BRASSO

I'm on board on the importance of staff inculcating the proper values, character building components, etc with their members. I'm confident most, if not all, do so.

I'm not on board that attire matters. I can't think of a single instance where a Corps with an unkempt ( but brilliant ) staff member was hurt in placement or scoring, or with the kids admiration for the staff members work, and instruction that staff member provided, and the solid life long skills imparted.

if we judged composers by how they dressed, then Mozart, Mackey, Bartok, Fielder, etc would be in the dust bin of history.

Staff should dress in good attire. It's just common sense. But if they don't, it doesn't mean a hill of beans, imo in the grand scheme of things with their Corps, their members, the judges, nor the public in the end. Most of the best icons in Drum Corps were rumpled messes regarding their attire. I didn't care then. I don't care now. They're not Bankers or Salesmen, and gawd knows we've seen lots of well dressed incompetents in our lives.

Agreed...totally......and what would people talk about in the stands if they didnt dress the way they did....OH THE CORPS?

Some of you are missing the big picture. The point isn't whether you care how that staffer is dressed. The point is whether prospective members, staffers, volunteers and supporters will care. And they do.

Why make a bad appearance? I remember visiting one top corps on Saturday afternoon during finals and being take aback somewhat by one staffer. I never quite decided whether the only clothes he was wearing was either a skimpy bathing suit or skimpy underwear. He was one of the best at what he does. I think his group won the caption award that night. Still, I remember thinking if my kids were to join that corps I would rather that they not take their lessons from someone who chose to present himself so on a day when he had to know there would be lots of visitors.

Another example. I was at a rehearsal one day when one senior instructor decided to clean out the cooler which apparently accompanied him on the staff bus. Right there in the parking lot, right next to the food truck with all the traffic that brings, he removed empty and full beer bottles and cans from the cooler so he could wash it out. He then left his supply sitting there in general view while the cooler dried. I guess it would have been against the rules to leave the beer on the bus.

So I'm with Granny. It matters. Doing the right thing may not always be easy, but it's always right.

HH

Edited by glory

Some of you are missing the big picture. The point isn't whether you care how that staffer is dressed. The point is whether prospective members, staffers, volunteers and supporters will care. And they do.

Why make a bad appearance? I remember visiting one top corps on Saturday afternoon during finals and being take aback somewhat by one staffer. I never quite decided whether the only clothes he was wearing was either a skimpy bathing suit or skimpy underwear. He was one of the best at what he does. I think his group won the caption award that night. Still, I remember thinking if my kids were to join that corps I would rather that they not take their lessons from someone who chose to present himself so on a day when he had to know there would be lots of visitors.

Another example. I was at a rehearsal one day when one senior instructor decided to clean out the cooler which apparently accompanied him on the staff bus. Right there in the parking lot, right next to the food truck with all the traffic that brings, he removed empty and full beer bottles and cans from the cooler so he could wash it out. He then left his supply sitting there in general view while the cooler dried. I guess it would have been against the rules to leave the beer on the bus.

So I'm with Granny. It matters. Doing the right thing may not always be easy, but it's always right.

HH

With all due respect how old is your kid? if hes underage then take him or her out, if not its their thing parents have a place and then dont have a place. Its wise to know the difference....Here we go Flammers go at it. But before you do maybe ask your kids

With all due respect how old is your kid? if hes underage then take him or her out, if not its their thing parents have a place and then dont have a place. Its wise to know the difference....Here we go Flammers go at it. But before you do maybe ask your kids

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....hehehehehe ....................maybe corps should supply a clothing allowance,,,,I like that too.

Granny- Were all these photos taken in Indy last summer? :tongue:

On or off the field ?

I can't think of a single instance where kids selected a Corps to try out for primarily based upon " how the staff dressed " compared to other Corps. Nor how there is a correlation between this and scoring, or even character building. It's a silly non issue, imo.

When it comes to attire in Corps, I care MUCH more about how the Corps is attired on the field, not how a staff member dresses at practice or on the stadium track during their Corps performance. If they're in faded jeans, t shirt, worn sneakers.... or starched shirt,pressed pants, topsiders, and ascot..... it doesn't mean a thing to me. Seriously. I could care less. It's frankly none of my business, anyway. I don't pay to watch them, and I don't judge them on how they look at a stadium track either.

Now, if somebody wants to make a case that what the Corps in performance looks like re. uniforms and guard costumes, etc is critically important, then you've got my attention.

Edited by BRASSO