A Drum Corps Blind Spot

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You seem pretty strong about this and I can give you the same examples of certain staffs the same as you are saying from 20 years ago. BUT if you do feel that strong about this as someone else said " PULL YOUR KID OUT"

Listen, no offense, we're having a discussion. Where my kids are, aren't, will be or won't be is irrelevant.

I'm no prude and no prig. What I am is a long-time devotee to this activity. If I noticed these behaviors, I'm likely not the only one. Indeed, I know others who have voiced concerns about these and similar topics. What the denial faction needs to to consider is how many kids don't march becuase their parents came to rehearsal and were put off by what appeared to be lax standards. The intangibles matter to parents reluctant to let their talented but naive 16-year-olds walk off into the unknown. Instructrors in underwear and beer bottles by the food truck don't help. Does anyone dispute that?

HH

for the 14th time:

this thread is not about how staff guys dress at shows. it is about maintaining a level of excellence in all things a corps does, and in all places where it appears, at all times.

manifestations of this include marketing materials, staff appearance, web presence, press releases, and anything else that could possibly be associated with the corps.

And for the 14th time:

Which corps are not presenting this level of excellence that people are so crazed about? Some are making claims about certain corps, but are not specifying which corps. It's one thing to give a vague nameless example of a corps which isn't portraying excellence, but it's another thing to be specific. My point is that no one wants to point out which corps is not displaying excellence in ALL they do.

Listen, no offense, we're having a discussion. Where my kids are, aren't, will be or won't be is irrelevant.

I'm no prude and no prig. What I am is a long-time devotee to this activity. If I noticed these behaviors, I'm likely not the only one. Indeed, I know others who have voiced concerns about these and similar topics. What the denial faction needs to to consider is how many kids don't march becuase their parents came to rehearsal and were put off by what appeared to be lax standards. The intangibles matter to parents reluctant to let their talented but naive 16-year-olds walk off into the unknown. Instructrors in underwear and beer bottles by the food truck don't help. Does anyone dispute that?

HH

A 16 yr old naive? Oh Common,,,lmao Did you pull your kids out of a corps for this behavior? If you did on your principal..good for you but i doubt many other did.

:tongue:

Granny follows her own advice and is always prepared for such emergencies when she goes out. She wears only her best stockings and white gloves when she goes out to the grocery store in public too, Appleknocker.

for the 14th time:

this thread is not about how staff guys dress at shows. it is about maintaining a level of excellence in all things a corps does, and in all places where it appears, at all times.

Let me reiterate. This thread was NOT about dress specifically.
Wow, I know DCP is good at derailing threads, but... wow.

Here's how I interpreted the first post: In an activity where we focus so greatly on minute details and improving the smallest of errors, we should be focused on the small things ALL the time, if not always, then at least when in uniform or performing. How the staff dresses was just one example of how this idea sometimes falls through the cracks.

How you interpreted it: A critique of staff members' apparel and grooming habits. ...And then argued about nothing else for 13 pages.

Yeah, especially since Granny said more than once, that the thread is not about how the staff dresses, but about corps achieving excellence in all that they do.

That's what this thread is about.

I dont think Granny was intending to focus on what people wear...thats just an example. How the organization presents / manages itself either reinforces the ideals the activity promotes...or it doesn't.
Some of you are missing the big picture. The point isn't whether you care how that staffer is dressed.
This post was meant to be much more than dress, but I'll acquiesce (for now).
Okay, it looks like this has shifted to a discussion on the appearance of staff at shows. Let me try and swing this a bit.

How the staff looks to the audience is secondary. There is certainly something to be said for presenting the entire activity to the public in a first-class way (we could debate what that means), but I'm talking about what the young people are learning from every aspect of the leadership.

Mike

And for the 14th time:

Which corps are not presenting this level of excellence that people are so crazed about? Some are making claims about certain corps, but are not specifying which corps. It's one thing to give a vague nameless example of a corps which isn't portraying excellence, but it's another thing to be specific. My point is that no one wants to point out which corps is not displaying excellence in ALL they do.

Also who...hmmm decides this level of excellence.. Ive heard everything from hygeine to not wearing tee shirts...crazyyyyyyyyyy...Mr Blackwell wanted on the 50 Mr Blackwell

Granny follows her own advice and is always prepared for such emergencies when she goes out. She wears only her best stockings and white gloves when she goes out shopping in public too, Appleknocker.

Something my mama taught early me early in life is to always make sure you have clean undies on when you're going out. She'd always say, "What if you get in accident?" That my friends is payin' attention to details and something we ALL can agree on!

And for the 14th time:

i'd say that based on the original topic here (posters), Phantom certainly is not displaying excellence in marketing. another example: a couple years ago, a corps (don't remember which) had a show about the seasons. it's show description really talked about the "winter equinox." there is no winter equinox. this was not excellence.

as for other things -- excellence is clearly subjective. it really comes down to perception of sophistication.