Surviving the Summer

For laundry days, get the sheets that act as soap AND a dryer sheet. Those things are bomb.

SPF 50+ Sunscreen. Coppertone works great for pit people, as you CAN NOT let it get on your hands if you're holding mallets. (You just won't be able to play)

Don't buy aerobed, they don't last the summer. Get Ozark Trail or a similar brand that you can find at Walmart, they last FOREVER. (All of corps and indoor season for me)

Debit/Prepaid credit card. Don't bring cash. You won't need it. (Maybe $50, it will easily last you the entire summer. I only used cash for a shirt at Finals.)

For the shirt-turban thing, this is how you do it (for those who don't know). Take the shirt and put it over your head but not over your arms. Make it to where the neck hole is across your face to where you can see through the hole. Tie the sleeves behind your head. This will make the neck hole much thinner and will be like a slit. Put sunglasses on. You now look like a beast.

Bring maybe 3 shirts. Don't worry, you'll never wear them.

Section shorts. One pair. Because you're cool like that. (Just wash them in the shower. GET MESH SHORTS!!!)

Aloe Vera, for when that SPF 50 doesn't do the job. (YOU WILL MORE THAN LIKELY NEED IT! And if you don't, I guarantee you someone else will.)

You should survive with all that. I suggest you bring underwear though, and a lot of it. Or just be cool and don't wear it. (Just kidding.)

Edited by wturner901

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ibuprofen is great for drum corps, but don't go overboard.

If you're like me and you violently flip the Corps' ATV while driving through the rain, it may seem like a great idea to pop Motrin continuously for the several agonizing days that follow, but you start to crap blood - and no one wants that.

- DCT!!!!!!! :ph34r:

- 1 gallon water jug!!

- sunscreen

- section shorts

- LOTS of white t-shirts & socks

- LOTS of underwear

- free day clothes

- mouthpiece

- bus box! (filled with misc. snacks, bus clothes & etc.)

- GATORADE

- bungee cords

- sleeping bag & pad

- LOTS of white t-shirts & socks

I don't really agree with lots of white t-shirts.

I find that you can use the same t-shirt more than once. I only really wore a t-shirt at meals and inside the school so it isn't like they are getting super nasty.

Debit/Prepaid credit card. Don't bring cash. You won't need it. (Maybe $50, it will easily last you the entire summer. I only used cash for a shirt at Finals.)

what about for regional patches?

free days?

you should bring $1 bills for the vending machines

quarters for laundry day!

if you're not going to wear shirts during rehearsal, then you probably only need 3-4. If you are, then you need more.

How bout pairs of compression underwear. The ones that are made of Spandex? How many of those should I bring

are these to wear under your uniform? I would bring maybe 3-4? You can wash them decently in a sink between laundry days, especially if you have any detergent powder.

I can't read every page to see if someone put this already, but LOTS of socks and get the running shorts (from Target or Walmart) with the built in lining/underwear. A few pairs of these and you can bring far less underwear and save some suitcase space.

Back in the late 80s I was the proud possessor of a cassette hand rewinder, which saved big time on batteries. Needless to say I was quite popular on the bus.

What would the modern equivalent of that be, he wondered?

Back in the late 80s I was the proud possessor of a cassette hand rewinder, which saved big time on batteries. Needless to say I was quite popular on the bus.

What would the modern equivalent of that be, he wondered?

This (click image to follow link) ?

31hHGUmNbCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's a solar powered backup battery / charger for an Ipod or any other USB chargeable device.

This (click image to follow link) ?

31hHGUmNbCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's a solar powered backup battery / charger for an Ipod or any other USB chargeable device.

Ding to the ding.