Is DCI trying to eliminate the older fans?

It may not be just the older fans, but it seems like DCI is heading in new directions, and really disappointing alot of fans along the way. Not that you can make all the people happy all the time, but the last decade DCi has really changed alot.

Starting with amps around 2004. Now, we all know that members of DCI staff read the message boards, and were well aware what a small sampling, of DCI fanatics were going through. Many members were outraged, and DCI chose to ignore all feelings on this area. Granted DCP is a small percentage of people involved in drum corps, but these tend to be the people who are a little more obsessed than the average fan. So much they can't wait until June when the season begins, to speculate, anticipate, and talk about any corps related topic that comes along.

Then, amplied voice/singing was approved. Another confusing/odd thing that upset alot of people. Several corps have experimented with this, with mixed results, including Bluecoats, Carolina Crown, and Cadets. And once again DCI has people reading all these comments, and continues on.

Then several years ago, came the odd experimentation with American Idol style judging, where the judging has nothing to do with what is represented on the field. Examples include 2006, when everyone always complained there were very little placement changes during finals week, and all of a sudden, 9 corps flip between semis and finals. Unfortunately , finals had 7 corps in the wrong placements. Then, you have a corps that should have placed either 3rd or 4th, winning a championship. I know there have been some smaller issues in scoring over the last 4 decades, but this last 5 years has been the worst. The storyline is becoming more important the field show itself. Last year was another perfect example, where a corps that in reality should have placed 16/17th, ends up in finals. I love the corps alot, and admire the history behind it, but that was nowhere near a 12th place show. How dumb does DCI think we are? A good percentage of people in the audience of DCI shows includes former members, former staff, former volunteers, current members, and/or people that have been around the activity for a good number of years. But sometimes you have to wonder, is DCI that close to extinct they have to go for the American Idol style of judging? How low has this organization sunk? It would also be one thing if it were just MY opinion, but this reflects the opinion of almost every band director/staff member/judge that I have spoken with over the last 5 years or so.

And now, we have woodwinds being allowed in the preshow, and with an overwhelming high number of votes in favor of it. If it does end up becoming part of the judged show in the next couple of years, I really think they are going to have more people upset than any of the previous things mentioned here.

I am a band director. I absolutely love band. I also have been involved with corps for over 30 years, and I love that as well. But it just seems to me like DCI no longer cares about the people who have been involved with the activity for so long, and are looking for new avenues to bring in either new kids, or more revenue. And maybe I am mistaking the age range of the people upset over things as of late, but just looking at the average years marched, ages or other telling signs in their signatures, I would estimate that a good percentage of the people disappointed in the way the direction DCI is heading, is probably over the age of 43. And it seems like this is the group that DCI is threatening to remove from the stands if it continues this way.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is DCI trying to eliminate older fans?

Is the Pope Catholic?

Does a bear xxxx in the woods?

Does Howdy Doody have a wooden xxxx?

Are you kiddin' me? What could be more obvious? Fans of "Drum Corps As We Know It" have been ignored by DCI for decades. We begged, pleaded, screamed and hollered about electronics and amplification, about narration, dance, woodwinds, etc., and DCI ignored all of it.

I recall inquiring to the DCI office about an older Legacy DVD. They were out of that particular one. When I asked if they would order any more, I was told, "No, probably not. Nobody likes that old stuff anymore."

Truth ? thats silly. I hardly think DCI is sitting down and saying "lets eliminate older fans"..

What IS happening is that people are making decisions for reasons they find relevant and these changes just happen to be not in the best interest of drum corps or the people in the corps, but for those making the decisions..........

Things will be fine......

G

Please keep in mind when you say "DCI is doing..." that there are really two DCIs. There is the actual company that provides event management and entertainment services, and there is DCI, which is a term for the collective corps, who actually RUN DCI the company. Dan Acheson isn't sitting in his ivory tower mandating woodwinds and amplification. (He did help with the Lucas Oil decision, but I digress...) The DCI that you generally mean is really the confraternity of corps directors that dictate what Mr. Acheson is to do by majority vote.

Like many of you are already doing, I suggest you look at the votes behind the decisions as to who and what part of DCI is trying to do what.

Does that make any sense? It did to me when I started writing it...

Please keep in mind when you say "DCI is doing..." that there are really two DCIs. There is the actual company that provides event management and entertainment services, and there is DCI, which is a term for the collective corps, who actually RUN DCI the company. Dan Acheson isn't sitting in his ivory tower mandating woodwinds and amplification. (He did help with the Lucas Oil decision, but I digress...) The DCI that you generally mean is really the confraternity of corps directors that dictate what Mr. Acheson is to do by majority vote.

Like many of you are already doing, I suggest you look at the votes behind the decisions as to who and what part of DCI is trying to do what.

Does that make any sense? It did to me when I started writing it...

Makes perfect sense.

Look out...he just slammed the Troop.... :blink::blink::blink:

I'm sorry, in no way did I mean to slam anyone. Troopers have had an amazing comeback. I am totally impressed with the way they presented themselves last year, after taking a year off the field just a few seasons ago. And the show was worlds better than anything they have put on since the early 90's. But unfortunately it was nowhere near top 12 level. It probably should have scored right with Spirit and Crossmen. Unfortunately, it made a storyline close to something on American Idol, and while it would have been a nice story, unfortunately the show on the field wasn't anywhere near deserving of 12th place. I would love nothing more than to see Troopers back in top 12, but only if that placement were justified, and not just trying to create a moment of excitement for the fans. Hopefully this will help them build to the point where maybe they can place top 6 again. And if they get that placement, and deserve it, then I am totally excited for them. But that same respect goes to every corps.

Eliminate the older fans? I don't know if they're actually trying, but they're sure doing a good job. I guess they just don't need the money.