New tour concept for 2011 proposed

Possible 2011 DCI Touring Format Poll  

369 members have voted

1. 1. The proposed tour for top 7 and special events

• for it
    • against it
    • undecided wait and see
    • other

really jeff? did you read through the whole 60 page proposal? don't you think you're jumping to conclusions about something no one really knows much about yet? how do you know there isnt a section of the presentation that dealt with flexibility amongst the group?

well...let's just say i doubt that they will want to change the power structure they want to set up once they have it. would you?

they're already #####ing about having to cut the pie 23 ways. so they pare it down to 7. now an 8th is ready to come on board? yeah right, they'll be welcomed with open arms.

and if you believe that, I have swamp land on RAMD to sell you

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the focus should be on corps doing more to live within means then and not trying to profit by destroying all but a small portion of the activity.

Maybe try living more within means.

How about more regional touring for the first part of tour to save gas money?

How about all agreeing to a moratorium on expensive electronics equipment? (so no one has a competitive advantage on the others by having it)

The solution to 'save' drum corps is not to kill most of it. And ultimately, that is what this will do. Its shortsighted, and I predict it will not ultimately end well for those 7 remaining.

Yep. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you get rid of the bottom, the top will most certainly

die. It's like cutting out the roots of a tree. And to the people who are in favor of this because

the current model isn't sustainable - The surest way to make the activity sustainable is do exactly what the quoted

poster said - live within means. Like maybe going back to regional circuits. Doing more local shows. Charging less

for a member to march. Charging less for the general public to see a show. And this next part is pretty out there; MAKE IT ENTERTAINING. Quit trying to educate the audience. Give them a great time every time and they will keep coming back.

Also take in to account sponsorship. What's being proposed here is essentially a semi-pro circuit for the top 5 corps. I don't think groups like Yamaha, Pearl, Dynasty, Randall May, NAMM, Disney, Youth Education in the Arts :lookaround: (ok, maybe not that one) and all the other sponsors would feel too good about this no longer being an educational activity. DCI's stretching for sponsorship as it is, I really don't think they could rebound from losing much more sponsorships than they already have.

I suggested in a previous post that there be a 3-yr evaluation window. And that the number could expand, contract or corps change.

Absolute nothing changes about judging. This decision is up to the board.

You don't think that 3 years is too long of a period? By then, the separation between classes will surely have a negative impact on corps not in the G-7 and make it extremely hard to advance to the G-7.

well...let's just say i doubt that they will want to change the power structure they want to set up once they have it. would you?

they're already #####ing about having to cut the pie 23 ways. so they pare it down to 7. now an 8th is ready to come on board? yeah right, they'll be welcomed with open arms.

and if you believe that, I have swamp land on RAMD to sell you

haha great quip at the end.

but a 8th isnt just a little less money, it's an extra 2 votes on the direction of DCI on their side.

funny how the article seems to mention the 4 of the g7 recused themselves from the bod but doesnt mention that they first voted in favor of the proposal. i think that's a major detail and wouldve been in the article.

I am sure that there is a lot of stuff not in the article. There are likely many additional details that will come out in the coming weeks and months as this plays out.

There are plenty of instances in the article from Fiedler stating that the future of the activity is an explicit goal. Reference this line:

"With a plan in place, the goal is to increase the overall quality level and stability of all corps, as well as over time to increase the number of corps included in the proposed special events. Sustainability of the activity is a key objective."

and this:

"We want drum corps to continue to be the standard-setting pageantry activity in the world, so that all of its performing groups, fans, band students, band directors, alumni and people around the world can enjoy and participate in this grand art form," Rodgers said. "Our goal is to benefit organizations at all levels of the drum corps activity, and we are pleased to work with other leading organizations in this endeavor."

It's hard to get much more "for the kids" than to ensure that the activity continues to exist.

how so,..by 7 people having most of the money and all of the say...how does that make it better for ALL?

see, now youre just being a #### - if you know something then you should say it.

Personal attacks aside, I'm very careful about how and what I post. I have to, as I'm a member of a corps staff. There are certain things I just will not talk about publicly. To do so would be in bad form, and I won't violate the trust of my corps and director. We know there are a lot of corps that can't or won't post on DCP at all.

But for the record, Jeff is very well connected. He too may have knowledge he won't talk about publicly...but if I were you, I'd never make any assumptions either way.

So...still waiting for some fair criteria on how to become a member of the G-7.

"Discussions have been underway since January to explore how Drum Corps International (“DCI”) might better serve the interests of all drum corps, including those groups who have a history of success for the past 20 years or more."

Clearly this has already been determined. I don't know how people can reasonably believe that the "G7" would somehow fluctuate with different corps. Only eight corps have ever won the DCI Championship. Take away the Kingsmen, Star, and Madison, that leaves you with five, add on Bluecoats and Crown, and the magic number is seven... G7.

In the history of DCI there apparently has never been room for more than eight corps to hold the title, what would possibly make anyone believe that this remaining group would be advocating for anyone else to become a part of this clique? Is there any real evidence that these units have worked toward parity over the past 38 years. Can we be serious here? It's stunning to see how naive people are. Good grief...

Kind of hard to ensure the activity continues to exist when you are elevating 7 corps by taking more money and having more votes on your own board of directors. Kinda leaves out 40+ corps across both world and open class. I do not believe for one second that they are looking out for DCI or for Drum Corps as an activity. They are looking out for number one....or Numbers 1-7.

Meh. We fans have already elevated most of these corps to that position. If we treated all corps as the draw then these seven wouldn't have any distinction to which they could point in order to justify this proposal. But the truth is, we do care about these seven corps (with some differences on a year to year basis, of course) more than any others. That's already the case, whether this proposal passes or not. We pack the stands for finals and leave Quarters largely empty. We arrive late to the show or stay out in the lots to watch these seven corps warm up, not entering the stadium until it's time for these seven corps to perform. These are the facts, and they are not in dispute. Knowing that, it may very well be that the best method to expand the market and opportunities for all corps is to market these seven corps above all others.