New tour concept for 2011 proposed

Possible 2011 DCI Touring Format Poll  

369 members have voted

1. 1. The proposed tour for top 7 and special events

• for it
    • against it
    • undecided wait and see
    • other

Let's take it ALL THE WAY! Let's assume all dark predictions come true, and within 5 years, NO CORPS ARE LEFT...

except 5...

and they all happen to be 5 of our consistent best. (kick out Bloo and Crown, for being "too new" lol)

Just imagine the talent. The 750 best. Forget about the 8000 who auditioned and failed.

I'd pay $100/week to watch that kind of excellence.

MMmmm...I just got goosebumps.

and by removing all of those other kids, you cut into your fan base. no more moms and dads. fewer of those kids will want to come becuse they know they have no shot.

ya know if there was market research to back this plan up, i may be a lot less cynical. but there was none. it was just "ad hoc caucusing"

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thought - Why not support the lower corps more? If you're looking for a level playing field, why push the top further up? Why not try to level the playing field? This would also keep the lower corps going which could feed the upper level corps better.

So...still waiting for some fair criteria on how to become a member of the G-7.

"Discussions have been underway since January to explore how Drum Corps International (“DCI”) might better serve the interests of all drum corps, including those groups who have a history of success for the past 20 years or more."

Clearly this has already been determined. I don't know how people can reasonably believe that the "G7" would somehow fluctuate with different corps. Only eight corps have ever won the DCI Championship. Take away the Kingsmen, Star, and Madison, that leaves you with five, add on Bluecoats and Crown, and the magic number is seven... G7.

In the history of DCI there apparently has never been room for more than eight corps to hold the title, what would possibly make anyone believe that this remaining group would be advocating for anyone else to become a part of this clique? Is there any real evidence that these units have worked toward parity over the past 38 years. Can we be serious here? It's stunning to see how naive people are. Good grief...

id rather give me money to people who know what to do with it and know how to use it than to people who dont.

From what i can tell there are corps under the top 7 that have existed longer then the "elite" 7. They know how to deal with money seeing as they have lasted longer. So that was one of the most unintelligent posts in this topic.

E-mail sent to the Directors of the "G7" Corps.

Dear Directors of "G7".... The New Elite World Class Corps

Mr. Gibbs, Mr. Hopkins, Mr. DeGrawe, Mr. Glasgow, Mr. Smith, & Mr. Fiedler.

I have read each article from your websites, and from Drum Corps World, concerning the actions presented over the past week. I have a few questions I would like to ask since I have spent my personal monies to EACH of your organizations over the past 3 years.

Who all now serves on the Board of Directors for Drum Corps International?

Is Dan Acheson still the CEO of Drum Corps International?

Why is the new model being presented and Boards being changed right before a nationwide tour is about to begin?

Why was this proposal not brought up at the 2010 January Annual Meetings?

Why is there nothing listed in ANY of the articles about how this new touring modle will benefit the YOUNG ADULTS that pay close to $3,000.00 to march a summer with your organization?

Why is it necessary to have so much control over legislative matters?

Why is it necessary to make more money from the tour that not only you compete on but 16 other World Class Corps compete on?

Are you sure of the ramifications this will inflict amongst the OTHER 16 DCI WORLD CLASS CORPS?

What happens to the other 16 World Class Corps, and the Existing Open Class Corps, Along with the 3 new Open Class Corps that were approved for tour for 2010?

What will it take to get the full 60 page proposal and Power Point presentation from said meetings released to the people that donate to make YOUR CORPS Survive?

Why after getting HARD ROCK INTERNATIONAL to sign with Drum Corps International as a CORPORATE SPONSOR for the 2010 Tour is there changes being made?

I still plan to attend Drum Corps International Events in 2010. But what will happen in 2011. What will be done to make sure DCI will not loose fans like my self?

I don't understand the reasoning behind the new touring model, The Cuts in the DCI infrastructure and Staff, and the reasoning for "G7" Corps to have a more complicated tour than the other 16 World Class Corps.

Why is there a need for more money to each of these "G7" Corps from performances? The other 16 Corps make it down the road with out asking for more money!!

A Simple Request. Please release the 60 page proposal and the power point to the General public.

many of us place enertainment instead. in fact, last year i liked more of the non G7 corps than the G7 corps.

Awesome. I feel ya. And I too prefer an entertaining Madison production over mind-numbing BD production from time to time.

But BD is in another universe on excellence.

Now, if you randomly decide to define excellence as "the most entertaining regardless of all other factors" then you'll have an entirely new activity! (and I won't be participating, lol)

It's harder to argue on excellence. It is more easily measured than entertainment. My entertainment bias is in Classical Music. I "prefer" to listen to it, so I'm more likely to be entertained by it. Therefore, I'm not fit to judge entertainment.

But I know excellence when I hear/see it, even if I hate the production.

id rather give me money to people who know what to do with it and know how to use it than to people who dont.

Really? Interesting, as some of the best-run corps from a business perspective are not in the G7.

i've been saying stuff for 4 days and no one wanted to believe me...and here I was right.

but hey why believe me now?

see, now youre just being a #### - if you know something then you should say it.

edit: holy ####, #### isn't edited!

From what i can tell there are corps under the top 7 that have existed longer then the "elite" 7. They know how to deal with money seeing as they have lasted longer. So that was one of the most unintelligent posts in this topic.

have they existed with the level of success they g7 has had? have the acquired the kind of power that draws large audiences in today? have they climbed up the competitive ladder? no? hanging on isnt a sign on managing money well, hanging on and doing well is.