Watching rehearsals

Back when I was teaching I'd watch other corps rehearse to learn how to teach better. Y0ou can learn a lot by watching good rehearsal techniques. My faves were:

SCV - rehearsing the performance every time. No "run" throughs.

BD - efficient, relaxed and still very focused

Garfield - intense, precise. Plus Sylvestri and Zingali were a kick to watch and talk to (and a little crazy which was actually their passion for the show and performance). I miss George.

27 - precise. WHAT! They paint their sets on the parking lot?

PR - about to go to finals and they were concerned with emoting not spatials or alignment

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've watched many corps, and learned many things. In 1988, I had never seen a drumline track before. so i asked "this guy" why they did it.

Thom Hannum gladly took the time out of his rehearsal to explain why, and why it could be good if done right. Shame is, now I see too many people ( not corps) do it because they think they have to do it, but don't fully understand why.

I also remember in 2003 at Allentown seeing a corps rehearse and watching a drumline having issues. The staff's continous reply was " again fix it". Um...if you dont tell them whats wrong, and how to fix it, it wont get fixed. Shame is, that percussion section continued to have issues, hurt the corps from making a run at the gold, and that staff was gone soon after

Cadets

work ethic is inspiring

I totally agree!! :tongue:

Honestly, I'd rather watch only the ensemble rehearsals more than anything else. I know when I marched, any other rehearsal was incredibly boring sometimes.

Have spent 6 hour days watching:

Crossmen, Cavaliers, BAC, Bluecoats, SCV, Colts.

Full ensemble was intriguing because of staff input over the PA and ability to observe performer demeanor/poise/reaction.

Sectionals were so so

Full horn line stuff was great. Wish tuning was addressed more.

SCV was by far, the most rewarding for me.

Enjoyed talking to members during breaks. That was '08. I firmly believed then, and still that this corps is on the move up and last year's classy show has set the table for a top 3 this year.

Among others, I've seen Academy rehearse. Holy-hell do those kids sweat. I've seen track teams, I've seen football teams, I've seen SCV practice, but none get as drenched as the Academy members. I'm quite sure that the swim team doesn't get that wet. And the staff is always at their level, never coming from about.

Among others, I've seen Academy rehearse. Holy-hell do those kids sweat. I've seen track teams, I've seen football teams, I've seen SCV practice, but none get as drenched as the Academy members. I'm quite sure that the swim team doesn't get that wet. And the staff is always at their level, never coming from about.

hah you got that right. It takes about 30 seconds of just standing still in Arizona to start sweating. This summer should be fun :tongue:

I've watched many corps, and learned many things. In 1988, I had never seen a drumline track before. so i asked "this guy" why they did it.

Thom Hannum gladly took the time out of his rehearsal to explain why, and why it could be good if done right. Shame is, now I see too many people ( not corps) do it because they think they have to do it, but don't fully understand why.

I also remember in 2003 at Allentown seeing a corps rehearse and watching a drumline having issues. The staff's continous reply was " again fix it". Um...if you dont tell them whats wrong, and how to fix it, it wont get fixed. Shame is, that percussion section continued to have issues, hurt the corps from making a run at the gold, and that staff was gone soon after

BINGO. A lot of people imitate without understanding the methodology or real reasoning behind doing a certain warm-up or drill and don't get the results they should or could get out of it. I know everyone loves the BD Space Chords, B-Flat9 and Shotgun drills, but there is a reason behind all of it other than it "sounds really cool".

I also learned quickly as a kid people yelling at me to do it again... and again.... with no real input other than "it sucks" didn't get anyone anywhere except frustrated, angry, and exhuasted.

Clean-up geeks that can fix stuff by knowing what's wrong, why it's wrong and then offer technical corrections and encouragement where appropriate are woefully underrated by a lot of folks until you see someone just never get any better and make the same musical or visual gaffes again and again. :tongue:

A lot can be learned from any rehearsal block (visual, sectionals, ensemble, warmups) but for folks interested in entertainment, ensemble rehearsal is where it's at. I have only ever sat down and watched a full outdoor rehearsal block once, and that was an SCV night rehearsal (ensemble with run through). I was very entertained.

Warmups from most hornlines I have seen are at least 50% entertaining (sometimes the first half of warmup is spent doing boring stuff like individual tuning, whole notes, and breathing gym exercises). When they get to the fun chord progressions, hype music, and show segments, that's pure awesome. Especially if there happens to be a situation of two or more hornlines warming up near each other that get a bit of competition going!

Edited by C4T