"FA16" vs "G7"

this is why i miss the drum judge stuff on the dvd's.....you hear simple things being blown.

but when you get that corps video ( let's call it the Smiths) the warmups are spotless...and half the stuff they play you don't see in the show

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh... but it is the adults running those corps who want money from these star-struck teenagers driving this in lot stuff. They cater to those teenagers because it represents future revenue for their corps.

Maybe, maybe not. It's a pretty tenuous business model based on the capricious whims of teens who often do not remain loyal to the heroes of their youth, and more often than not move on to the next big thing (more and more common these days, in our "American Idol"/disposable entertainment society). Going back to your earlier example, I'm not sure that citing U2 is a good analogy, considering the fact that the vast majority of U2's fan base is from an older generation who come from an era when loyalty to your favorite musician really meant something. It will be interesting to follow a lot of the newer acts currently topping the charts and see where their careers are 10 years from now.

Maybe, maybe not. It's a pretty tenuous business model based on the capricious whims of teens who often do not remain loyal to the heroes of their youth, and more often than not move on to the next big thing (more and more common these days, in our "American Idol"/disposable entertainment society). Going back to your earlier example, I'm not sure that citing U2 is a good analogy, considering the fact that the vast majority of U2's fan base is from an older generation who come from an era when loyalty to your favorite musician really meant something. It will be interesting to follow a lot of the newer acts currently topping the charts and see where their careers are 10 years from now.

exactly....this is why kids alone as your market will hurt not help business

Maybe, maybe not. It's a pretty tenuous business model based on the capricious whims of teens who often do not remain loyal to the heroes of their youth, and more often than not move on to the next big thing (more and more common these days, in our "American Idol"/disposable entertainment society).

True; but like many other people in today's culture, the G7 directors seem to be more concerned about instant gratification.

Going back to your earlier example, I'm not sure that citing U2 is a good analogy, considering the fact that the vast majority of U2's fan base is from an older generation who come from an era when loyalty to your favorite musician really meant something. It will be interesting to follow a lot of the newer acts currently topping the charts and see where their careers are 10 years from now.

U2 has a full spectrum of fans young to old (just like the Devils) that is why I chose that band. In fact, the last time I went to see U2 I was on the field and was the oldest person that I could see anywhere around me. So, if every star-struck youth buying tickets who wants to be like Bono or The Edge were invited backstage to be up-close and personal with them would say, "Well heck no; I need to stay out front and support the band that is currently on stage, so I will pass being that close to U2." then I would be swayed to change my opinion.

Edited by Stu

True; but like many other people in today's culture, the G7 directors seem to be more concerned about instant gratification.

On this, we agree. But sadly, I don't think this attitude is restricted to just the G7.

Ahh... but it is the adults running those corps who want money from these star-struck teenagers driving this in lot stuff. They cater to those teenagers because it represents future revenue for their corps. Ticket sales generate some small percetage of revenue for each WC corps at the show, but most of the ticket revenue goes into venue expenses. It is audition fees, performer dues, and souvie sales from all those kids that bring in the bigger bucks for each individual corps. These G7 directors are smart adults. They know that having the star-struck kids watch their in lot warm-ups is sort of like making a cool Ipod or Wi commercial then targeting it to those kids who have parents with money.

Agree...they see the entire event as being The Entertainment for these kids, not just sitting in the stands during the performances. If they can Wow the kids in the lot...they'll sell more products...hence more revenue to their corps.

Agree...they see the entire event as being The Entertainment for these kids, not just sitting in the stands during the performances. If they can Wow the kids in the lot...they'll sell more products...hence more revenue to their corps.

Hmm... we have possibly discovered a foundation block for the thinking process of the G7 directors. In all seriousness, I have been perplexed by the G7 claiming that what they are proposing is actually in line with a noble philosophy of doing this for the kids. In a weird, skewed, and demented way, the (Entertainment from the Bus to the Field) is a way that they can say with a straight face that their proposal is actually "for the kids".

Hmm... we have possibly discovered a foundation block for the thinking process of the G7 directors. In all seriousness, I have been perplexed by the G7 claiming that what they are proposing is actually in line with a noble philosophy of doing this for the kids. In a weird, skewed, and demented way, the (Entertainment from the Bus to the Field) is a way that they can say with a straight face that their proposal is actually "for the kids".

I agree with you here. Not that I have anything to add, just wanted to give the equivalent of the "nod of agreement" on the internet.

Territroop and Byline: Imagine that you are a star-struck teenager going to see the mega-rock group U2 with rock group XYZ going on stage first. You have the opportunity to get a free backstage pass to see U2 up-close and personal while XYZ is performing. What do you do? Turn that pass down as say nope, I gotta go support group XYZ. Of course not! You take the back-stage pass and to heck with the XYZ group on stage. That is what is going on in DCI by the bigger groups either directly or indirectly informing all of these star-struck kids that they are invited to get back-stage passes to see them up-close and personal; which in turn has the byproduct of those same star-struck kids missing the corps' that perform during the first half of the show. Please stop thinking in terms of a logical reasonable adult and place yourself in the mindset of a star-struck teenager; then you will get why this is becoming an ever growing phenomenon.

Oh, no doubt here. This is nothing new. This is also why "legacy fans" are important to drum corps. Many, if not most, of us who fall into that category are the ones who will be in the stands earlier. We're also the ones who are going to be able to bring our own kids and grandkids to shows (and some of us also teach kids every day, too) and impart knowledge of the scope of the activity to the young people we are bringing. This is why DCI's response to the G7 proposal gives me hope - they recognize this connection to the legacy fan base and want to help legacy fans reconnect. How they make that step is yet to be seen, however.

Oh, no doubt here. This is nothing new. This is also why "legacy fans" are important to drum corps. Many, if not most, of us who fall into that category are the ones who will be in the stands earlier. We're also the ones who are going to be able to bring our own kids and grandkids to shows (and some of us also teach kids every day, too) and impart knowledge of the scope of the activity to the young people we are bringing. This is why DCI's response to the G7 proposal gives me hope - they recognize this connection to the legacy fan base and want to help legacy fans reconnect. How they make that step is yet to be seen, however.

I agree that it is the Legacy fans who are sitting in the stands watching all the corps, along with a few new fans who are fresh to the activity. But the reality is that unless the Legacy fan or new fan is a rich benefactor pumping a lot of their own capital into a corps, the G7 corps directors do not seem to care one iota about that particular fan buying a ticket, a hot dog, one souvie shirt, and yelling hooray at the first corps on the field (but they do care about those fans being in the stands under the lights and yelling hooray for the G7 corps because that will keep the G7 performers happy enough to pay more money in dues the following year). The G7 directors are targeting two types of people: a) star-struck youth with expendable capital so that they will pay audition fees and performance dues from year to year; that is why this in lot bus to field entertainment is so important; and b) rich philanthropist adults with access to lots of capital, which is why all of the tuxedo parties at home are so important.