"FA16" vs "G7"

A bad party, attended by dullards is still a party! Cool people may pass by and say, "Hey there's the dullard's, what's going on in there?" "I think, they think they're having a party!" :thumbup:

Yes, maybe, but we have the best time because we don't know we're dullards.

Then comes "Hey, how's come they're having such a good time in there?"

Then come the noses under the tent.

:shutup:

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I believe is going on here is the hearty DCP crowd heard the top 7 focus and "shut down". Every argument looks back at that sentiment (real or imagined) and looks for any bad, then runs it up the flag poll along with some personal "issues and history" with the "king" and the rational games begin. In my view, this is not how to evaluate a proposal, it's more like a giant gang bang with like thinkers. I also think this whole thing was strategically leaked to gain position by those caught in the exclusionery nature of it (including some that don't want to lose their job). It's not surprising, I have seen it often in many large organizations. My guess is that you have seen it as well.

Setting aside your conspiracy theory for a moment, ie your comment : " I also think this whole thing was strategically leaked " ( yet with no evidence whatsoever to support such a wild eyed conspiracy charge), you seem to have a great liking for this G-7 proposal, and a real hatred for the 80% of DCP'ers here that according to the DCP poll are not yet on board with this G-7 proposal, drawing your analogy above that we are " like giant gang bangers ". That somehow we" heard top 7 Corps and " shut down " rational thinking. Since you are one of the estimated 1 out of 10 that are on board with this proposal, aside from the marketing aspects that most here have little objection too, rather than calling us " gang bangers", why not take a few moments to pick out the non marketing sections of the G-7 proposal and explain to us why in your view the G-7 should be implemented. Simply cite the sections, and tell us why it would be benefiicial.

We await the sections cited... and it's benefits as you perceive them to be. Your turn...... Go :

Edited by BRASSO

Well, I will admit that it's been awhile since I read the proposal, but I seem to remember that it's EXACTLY what the proposal says, i.e. that they ARE leaving the alum behind or words to that effect.

And the DCI office said the same thing just before all this G7 stuff came out...recently..i put in another post how they said although they honor the legacy fan its 2010 and marketing dollars goes to kids and bands

Much like the rest of the G7 proposal, this portion of the market stategy is isolated on here and dragged about like it's G7's one trick pony. There are things in the ppt slides that turn peoples screws more for the exclusionary nature of it than in terms of market strategy. They didn't say anything about leaving the alum behind, just a more targeted effort to catch the HS's early and energetically and more effectively scouting for those that would want to be part of it. No, it isn't new, but this is today and yesterday was another time with other competing interests. What I believe is going on here is the hearty DCP crowd heard the top 7 focus and "shut down". Every argument looks back at that sentiment (real or imagined) and looks for any bad, then runs it up the flag poll along with some personal "issues and history" with the "king" and the rational games begin. In my view, this is not how to evaluate a proposal, it's more like a giant gang bang with like thinkers. I also think this whole thing was strategically leaked to gain position by those caught in the exclusionery nature of it (including some that don't want to lose their job). It's not surprising, I have seen it often in many large organizations. My guess is that you have seen it as well.

yet DCi mentuions getting fans of all ages, and Cesario's janual comments mention this as well.

look, I'm all for getting kids...you have to engage the future. But you can't #### away the present, and considering the guy who presented the ppt is the guy who regularly takes swipes at "the legacy RAMD fan of 1975" just goes to show he's missing the boat.

DCI faced this issue in the 90's too. Lots of older fans, what would now be termed Legacy fans bolted. so DCi started to reach out them a little more as well as started going after the kids...boom, attendance grew, and older fans started coming back more.

Recently, older fans have started bailing again....and the on field product led to the exodus then and now.

it's more expensive to continue building a new fanbase over and over again. It's much smarter business to keep what you have and add on to it. Sorry, but the G7 does nothing to show me they have learned that lesson.

A bad party, attended by dullards is still a party! Cool people may pass by and say, "Hey there's the dullard's, what's going on in there?" "I think, they think they're having a party!" :thumbup:

and the dullards as you call them, are folks that have been pouring money into DCI, it's corps, and it's kids for years, in many cases decades.

that's not a great way to talk to the people that in many ways, help pay for your kids summer experience.

yet DCi mentuions getting fans of all ages, and Cesario's janual comments mention this as well.

look, I'm all for getting kids...you have to engage the future. But you can't #### away the present, and considering the guy who presented the ppt is the guy who regularly takes swipes at "the legacy RAMD fan of 1975" just goes to show he's missing the boat.

DCI faced this issue in the 90's too. Lots of older fans, what would now be termed Legacy fans bolted. so DCi started to reach out them a little more as well as started going after the kids...boom, attendance grew, and older fans started coming back more.

Recently, older fans have started bailing again....and the on field product led to the exodus then and now.

it's more expensive to continue building a new fanbase over and over again. It's much smarter business to keep what you have and add on to it. Sorry, but the G7 does nothing to show me they have learned that lesson.

Well said, Jeff, imo.

I hope that I am still alive to see the day when you wake up and notice that somehow "you" have become one of the dullards :shutup: It will happen!

I just saw the statistics on the survey from DCI...89% of world class members came from marching bands...wow !!! I remember way back when you didnt have to be a music major to march I wouldnt be caught DEAD in my HS marching band,,,,lol....now with 89% if you were a director where would you want your bucks spent......hmmmmmm

Although I understand the point you are attempting to make here, the fact is that many parents support their kid's interests financially. In fact, the first two years of my son's High School, my wife and I took him and 6 of his band school mates with us to the Atlanta DCI show and all bought tickets, souvies, et al. Then, the last two years, 4 of the 6 marched Boston, Spirit and BD. The G7 are on to something if they tap into that H.S. energy and desire to be part of this activity. And you are dead wrong if you don't think they have money or support to get where they need to be to see Drum Corps.

Ok, so let me sum up what seems to be the one thing everyone, including DCI, agrees on:

DCI is consciously transforming drum corps from a unique musical activity with audiences and patrons who stick around for decades....

...into the country's most expensive band camp.

I just saw the statistics on the survey from DCI...89% of world class members came from marching bands...wow !!! I remember way back when you didnt have to be a music major to march I wouldnt be caught DEAD in my HS marching band,,,,lol....now with 89% if you were a director where would you want your bucks spent......hmmmmmm

not all kids in a marching band are music majors. I have worked with several bands in my area over the last 25 years, and I've been blessed to see more kids do drum corps over that time than I have seen kids go on to be music majors.

and to be honest, of the...well betwen DCA and DCI, the 80 or so kids I've seen march, I only know of 8 that went on to be music majors