"FA16" vs "G7"

And the G7 lost all creditibility when they said they are the draw, they deserve the power, they deserve the money, and the rest do not matter.

especially since a few non G7 corps are responsible for a lot more ##### in the seats over the years than some of the G7 corps are

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the dissention is already there in spades

Yea, I kind of think this G7 stuff is just a blunt representation of the dissension in the activity. There have ALWAYS been haves/have nots in drum corps and there has always been a competitive advantage for the haves. But in all fairness, that's kind of how life is as well. Kids who happen to be lucky enough to be born into a wealthy area will get better education and receive more chances/breaks than kids who happen to be unlucky enough to be born into poverty. Some corps have benefited from great leadership that put together Champion staff, attracted the most talented membership, and were able to build financially better than others. That's life, and that's the American way. I can understand (as much as I disagree with this attempt to break away) the thoughts of "we've been a top draw for decades and we should be compensated as such." I don't agree morally, and I have a lot questions/issues with this proposal, but if directors think it is in their group's best interest to break from the DCI tour model and do their own thing, who are we (the armchair fans with little/no connection to the organization/business end) to argue? If Pacific Crest does a regional tour for half the summer because it works best for them financially, so be it. If Cadets want to run their own shows during the week with their own format that works best for them, but still participate in the DCI events, so be it.

Yea, I kind of think this G7 stuff is just a blunt representation of the dissension in the activity. There have ALWAYS been haves/have nots in drum corps and there has always been a competitive advantage for the haves. But in all fairness, that's kind of how life is as well. Kids who happen to be lucky enough to be born into a wealthy area will get better education and receive more chances/breaks than kids who happen to be unlucky enough to be born into poverty. Some corps have benefited from great leadership that put together Champion staff, attracted the most talented membership, and were able to build financially better than others. That's life, and that's the American way. I can understand (as much as I disagree with this attempt to break away) the thoughts of "we've been a top draw for decades and we should be compensated as such." I don't agree morally, and I have a lot questions/issues with this proposal, but if directors think it is in their group's best interest to break from the DCI tour model and do their own thing, who are we (the armchair fans with little/no connection to the organization/business end) to argue? If Pacific Crest does a regional tour for half the summer because it works best for them financially, so be it. If Cadets want to run their own shows during the week with their own format that works best for them, but still participate in the DCI events, so be it.

fine if they want to run their own. but their own involves others of DCI, wants more voting power and wants more money. if this were to be open to just more than 7 and the voting thing was not in play, i could see it having potential. but it's so much more than that

Yep, I'm fine with that.

All drum corps are marching bands, that doesn't mean they aren't also drum corps

but to many there is a huge distinction, one that was built over time and with adherence to traditions. and, that is hard for many people to stop thinking, just as it's hard for those who promote that it is marching band to stop thinking.

yes people may say stuff like that and it will irritate.

as will the other side to argue their point.

but ####, i'll take the passion displayed by either side, because, as we lose fans, and we have, we've lost so much of that passion that helped make drum corps so exciting to all of us.

Why are the Glassmen a drum corp and Carolina Crown not a drum corps? Please give me a logical explanation to that other than "I'm mad at Crown right now"

Just to play devil’s advocate

Cadets and Crown et al are not real drum corps because by way of their leadership they are in violation of DCI mission statement and DCI currently defines junior level drum corps.

Real drum corps, defined by DCI mission statement is “"a cooperative fraternity of its member drum corps." Sneaking around and plotting to usurp DCI at the expense of other corps is in direct opposition to DCI’s (and by their own agreement as members of DCI) mission statement. They ceased being real drum corps when their conflict of interest and thus, their violation of DCI’s mission statement was exposed

I don’t get why some G-7 defenders are so touchy and overly defensive, it’s almost like they have something to be guilty about but are trying to overcome. I mean it’s only a proposal right?

I really regret I never learned the key to the borgifcation process. It’s stunning and very impressive. If I knew their secret I could build a cult that would rival Jonestown

I'm pretty sure you've called me a borg before too, so we're all good :tongue:

LOL...I just might have !!! At least we can laugh...I wish everyone didnt take these thing personal..Like I always say (preach) we have more in common than not.....

G